Contribute
Register

Advice on a graphics card? Sick of 9800GT... Maybe 5770?

Status
Not open for further replies.
LOLmoe said:
If you want flawless integration... I would suggest NVIDIA GTX 260.
I would stay away from the 5770 until 10.6.5 comes out and there is a non-kext based solution for it.

I couldn't agree more!

Also see.
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5044

rabbit.

rabbit74 said:
LOLmoe said:
If you want flawless integration... I would suggest NVIDIA GTX 260.
I would stay away from the 5770 until 10.6.5 comes out and there is a non-kext based solution for it.

I couldn't agree more!

Also see.
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5044

rabbit.

Oh yeah, i saw that thread, that was one thing that put some doubt in my mind about the 5770s... So would you recommend the GTX 260 as well rabbit? Is it pretty much plug and play, all ports etc?

Imho the GTX-260 the best card for home built mac. It has been discontinued but many retailers still have stock. Grab one while you can.

rabbit

I agree with rabbit. (Well I don't have personal experience, soon I will though, but with a GTS 250 in previous hackintosh installation all went well with just graphicsenabler=yes)

It looks like the 2 guys in insanelymac have a somewhat viable solution working (although both approach it as a concept.. rather than a full on developing idea, i hope chameleon devs pick up on this or some other team maybe a joint task OPERATION?!), it was achieved via dsdt or boot. I think the method is same just two different files handling it.

Even with 10.6.5 update, I have a feeling that the 5770 will have a hard time having flawless integration like NVIDIA Cards (well certain nvidia cards, but personally, I have dealt with 9400GT, 8600GT, GTS 250 and they all worked fine. And I will be dealing with a GTX260 either this saturday or sometime next week). IDK Something there is soemthing about ATI cards in hackintoshes. :(

rabbit74 said:
Imho the GTX-260 the best card for home built mac. It has been discontinued but many retailers still have stock. Grab one while you can.

rabbit

Ah fair play. So literally plug in, graphicsenabler=yes, and it all works 100%? All ports, all resolutions etc? And which variation of the 260 did you use? I'd be willing to spend a bit more on a higher end card if i can get something that works oob (and i wouldn't mind the extra power...).

LOLmoe said:
I agree with rabbit. (Well I don't have personal experience, soon I will though, but with a GTS 250 in previous hackintosh installation all went well with just graphicsenabler=yes)

It looks like the 2 guys in insanelymac have a somewhat viable solution working (although both approach it as a concept.. rather than a full on developing idea, i hope chameleon devs pick up on this or some other team maybe a joint task OPERATION?!), it was achieved via dsdt or boot. I think the method is same just two different files handling it.

Even with 10.6.5 update, I have a feeling that the 5770 will have a hard time having flawless integration like NVIDIA Cards (well certain nvidia cards, but personally, I have dealt with 9400GT, 8600GT, GTS 250 and they all worked fine. And I will be dealing with a GTX260 either this saturday or sometime next week). IDK Something there is soemthing about ATI cards in hackintoshes. :(

Ah fair play. I'll keep looking at nvidia cards then. Same question for you as rabbit then :) - If i was able to spend a bit more on a current card, are there any out there that might be even more compatible than the 260, and a bit more powerful?

Cheers guys, really appreciate the help!

Jelly

The GTX-260 should only have one config = dual DVi so if the store has something else someone is trying to cheat you.

The card should also have dual power inputs and can run dual 1080p or one 30" - I have not tested it on Dual 30" displays. That is probably pushing it.

r.

rabbit74 said:
The GTX-260 should only have one config = dual DVi so if the store has something else someone is trying to cheat you.

The card should also have dual power inputs and can run dual 1080p or one 30" - I have not tested it on Dual 30" displays. That is probably pushing it.

r.

Cool, the place that I usually buy from has 2 variations -
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showprodu ... =GX-016-ZT and
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showprodu ... ubcat=1341

Clearly one is a lot less than the other, and i can see only minor differences between them... Should they both work for hackintoshing? 1080p x 2 is great for me, i usually run a tv (1080p) and a monitor (1680 x 1050), and i'm hoping to use one of the outputs with a switchbox, so i can select between the tv and a second monitor (probably http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showprodu ... 10&subcat= or similar).

In your experience, does HDCP work with a DVI to HDMI adapter? With the 9800gt, it crashes the graphics card if i try to connect my tv via dvi-hdmi...

Thanks for the help again :)

Jelly

I live in Taiwan and have never come across HDCP. Copyright law is different here.

The cheaper of the 2 is an actual nVidia branded card. I would kill for that. Buy it!

r.

...a true nvidia reference card? get it now!!
and for HDCP I don't know to tell ya man, any specific reason why you want HDCP?

There was a problem with an update for a GTS 250 that if you were using an HDCP Monitor, you had to roll back to 10.6.2 kext or 10.6.1 gext I think... It was the NVIDIA Kexts. (I was using a Acer 24" which had an HDMI Slot at the time with HDCP, the entire computer freezes after the Apple boot screen with a black screen) However, VGA worked fine before applying the downgrade in nvidia kexts. After though everything was fine again.

Now mind you I now have a Dell G2410 which has a DVI port capable of HDCP however, when I used the same computer with this monitor, with no kext changes or whatsoever, it worked out of the box. Which could mean two things..

1. Chameleon updated the EFI injections for this card, (Or I forget, I might have had them in the DSDT and updated), and now there are 0 problems with it.
2. The monitor I am using uses non-HDCP signal by default with a digital connection.

I wish I had a blu-ray drive so I could test it out for you, but i don't and I don't think there is a way to test if your monitor is HDCP compliant other than that in Mac OS X (on Windows it tells you in the nvidia configuration panel lol)

I hope it helped.

**I just read that you had a 9800GT. If you want HDMI Working (HDCP Signal) try updating your boot loader, if not Get KextHelper and install older NVIDIA Graphics Kexts from 10.6.2 I think (search around for the exact version I forget) then you'd have everything working I think.

rabbit74 said:
I live in Taiwan and have never come across HDCP. Copyright law is different here.

The cheaper of the 2 is an actual nVidia branded card. I would kill for that. Buy it!

r.

I've just bought it, i hope that it works :) I don't need HDCP for actually playing videos, but apparently there have been problems (that LOLmoe talks about below) with plugging in a HDCP tv into nvidia cards on a mac.

LOLmoe said:
...a true nvidia reference card? get it now!!
and for HDCP I don't know to tell ya man, any specific reason why you want HDCP?

There was a problem with an update for a GTS 250 that if you were using an HDCP Monitor, you had to roll back to 10.6.2 kext or 10.6.1 gext I think... It was the NVIDIA Kexts. (I was using a Acer 24" which had an HDMI Slot at the time with HDCP, the entire computer freezes after the Apple boot screen with a black screen) However, VGA worked fine before applying the downgrade in nvidia kexts. After though everything was fine again.

Now mind you I now have a Dell G2410 which has a DVI port capable of HDCP however, when I used the same computer with this monitor, with no kext changes or whatsoever, it worked out of the box. Which could mean two things..

1. Chameleon updated the EFI injections for this card, (Or I forget, I might have had them in the DSDT and updated), and now there are 0 problems with it.
2. The monitor I am using uses non-HDCP signal by default with a digital connection.

I wish I had a blu-ray drive so I could test it out for you, but i don't and I don't think there is a way to test if your monitor is HDCP compliant other than that in Mac OS X (on Windows it tells you in the nvidia configuration panel lol)

I hope it helped.

**I just read that you had a 9800GT. If you want HDMI Working (HDCP Signal) try updating your boot loader, if not Get KextHelper and install older NVIDIA Graphics Kexts from 10.6.2 I think (search around for the exact version I forget) then you'd have everything working I think.

Thanks for the advise! I'm going to try with the new card, hopefully the new chameleon fixed the problems. I might also try those older kexts, see if i can get it working properly. Not sure if you can run both at the same time (would be awesome if you can!) but if not, i'll sell whichever performs worse (apparently i can get a fair old whack for that GTX 260 on ebay...).

Thanks again for your help everyone! I hope to have a success story to tell everyone tomorrow :D And LOLmoe and rabbit, if you're ever in the UK, a beer will be coming your way!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back