Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Asus Z370-H
CPU
i7-9700k
Graphics
Radeon RX 580
Hey there,

as someone who's knowledge in this kind of stuff is probably on iJustine level (press F for me), I finally decided to make an account and ask for some help. I'm in the midst of my plan to build my first Hackintosh, or first PC Build if you will, which would be a good company for my crappy 13" MBP. The main purpose of this build is 4K video editing in FCPX, while I'd like to play a few oldschool games on Windows as well. Because I live in central Europe, prices for Apple products are stupidly high compared to US prices for the exact same machines. So the reason for me to go with a Hackintosh was to have the simplicity and elegance of macOS in a powerful PC for a decent price. Unfortunately though, because of my location, prices for PC parts are also higher than the US so please keep that in mind when recommending me some parts. My budget currently is 1000 Euros without the monitor and apart from the SSD, which I bought earlier today because of a very good price on Amazon Germany, I haven't bought any components yet. The main idea here was to wait until Black Friday (or the Cyber Monday week) and hope to get some nice deals which could bring the cost for this build down even further. Two things about this build would be very important for me to know: Support for as many macOS features as possible (especially iCloud so my Airpods will work) and hardware accelerated H.265 rendering in FCPX. I would be very grateful if anyone could elaborate on this.

A few words about the components before I give you the list of parts as I imagine them atm. From all I've seen and heard on the internet, the combination of an Intel CPU and AMD GPU works best in FCPX. And since I don't plan on playing heavy games on this, I don't particularly need a Nvidia Card. It would also be great if someone could explain how important high RAM frequencies are (or how big the benefits would be if I got RAM with faster frequencies).

So, now to my... wanna have build:

• MoBo: ASUS Prime Z370-A ATX - €170,-
    • This seems to be a nice choice since it has decent I/O and, more importantly, USB-C which I'll definitely start to use in the future. Granted it could be cheaper and I think it was a few weeks ago but here we go.
  • CPU: Intel Core i5-8600K - €260,-
    • I'm not that much of a power user (my highest end computer never had more than two cores, topkek) so the mid-tier 6-core CPU from Intel is the best choice and it'll probably be a monster for my build. I can't see myself spending another €150,- for the 8700K.
  • GPU: ASUS ROG-STRIX Radeon RX-560 - €180,-
    • Now this is where things get tricky. Since the start of the GPU inflation I've watched the prices got up and up. In the recent weeks they seem to get cheaper but I won't be edging my bet for it to stay that way, while I will hope for a good Black Friday deal. This particular Card has 4GB of memory which should be enough for me. Again here, would be my first Graphics Card so don't need the higher end one.
  • RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 3000MHz - €150,-
    • Now here's where I have absolutely no clue what to do. This particular RAM was "Amazon's choice" and it looks to be the fastest RAM out there in that price range. Depending on how big the benefits are with fast RAM I could get some that isn't as fast and bringe the budget for it down to around €120,-. Also no idea what manufacturer to choose: Corsair, Crucial or Kingston. Any idea which is the best?
  • SSD: Samsung 860 Evo 2.5" 500GB - €75,-
    • This SSD will do the trick and at the ridiculously low price I got it for it's the best choice. Since it's a standard 2.5" drive, I'll leave the M.2 slot for a possible second SSD I might ad in the future, if that's even possible (?).
  • PSU: Thermaltake Smart RGB 700W - €55,-
    • Again, this is an area where I have no idea, but from what I've seen on the internet, 700W seems to a bit overkill!? Help on this part is much appreciated.
  • CPU Cooler: ARCTIC Freezer 7 Pro Rev. 2 - €17,-
    • Again, no idea here really, just took one of the coolers that was recommended in the Buyer's Guide. I don't really care about the aesthetics of the build, so it can be really anything as long as it get's the job done.
  • Case: Corsair Carbide 275R - €60,-
    • The pretty much only purpose of my case is to have all components inside and do it's job. This one does that for €60,- sounds pretty nice, right?
Okay, that's pretty much it from me. If you made it this far: Thank you very much for reading all of this, but it would be sooo much more awesome if you - someone who knows his/her stuff - would leave a comment about the functionality of this build, whether it would even work with macOS and most importantly where I could save a buck or two if a few of these components might be a bit overkill. I see now that I've just about surpassed my own budget for this build but I hope that Black Friday might swoop in to save the day, even though it's quite a few months to it.

Last edited by a moderator:
This build should work with MacOS High Sierra. But note that if you are going to wait a few months before buying, you may no longer have the choice of that motherboard, as I believe that with the imminent release of Z390 and the 9th generation CPUs in October, Z370 will soon be phased out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back