Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I am a total noob.

I have to upgrade my hopelessly outdated video editing system. I am a video artist who needs to be able to edit several frame synced hd files at once. The new macpro updates have left me in limbo. I can only afford to update every few years but when I do i need to know that the the upgrade will last and be up to the task. The cost / performance of the new macpro's just won't work for me. So I guess i need to build a hackintosh.

I have been doing some research but this is definately the beginning of the process for me. I want it to be fast, quiet, small and beautiful. SSD only. Platinum PSU. System on PCI express SSD. Quadro 4000 graphics. I want to try a matx board. The closest build I have found is this one.
viewtopic.php?t=59573

I have come up with the dream system but could use advice.

Here is what I think I want

CPU
Intel Core i7-3930K Sandy Bridge-E 3.2GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) LGA 2011 130W Six-Core Desktop Processor BX80619i73930K

Motherboard
ASRock X79 EXTREME4-M LGA 2011 Intel X79 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX

System SSD
OCZ RevoDrive X2 OCZSSDPX-1RVDX0240 PCI-E 240GB PCI-Express x4 MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

Memory
CORSAIR DOMINATOR 32GB (4 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 Model CMP32GX3M4X1600C10

Graphics
NVIDIA Quadro 4000 by PNY 2GB GDDR5 PCI Express Gen 2 x16 DVI-I DL
CPU cooler
ZALMAN CNPS20LQ Ultimate Liquid CPU Cooler

PSU
Enermax Platimax 750W Quiet Power Supply EPM750EWT

SDDs
Crucial M4 CT512M4SSD2BAA 2.5" 512GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD
Bluray burner
Sony Optiarc Black 5.8MB Cache SATA 12.7mm Slot Blu-ray Writer BD-5850H-01

Misc
OS X Lion USB Thumb Drive
Apple Keyboard with Numeric Keypad - English
Multy Card reader
XIGMATEK CCO-UCOIAB-U01 USB 3.0 Accessor Ultimate 5.25" Super-Speed Card Reader
SilverStone SST-FP58S 5.25" Aluminum Cover Bay for Slot-load Slim ODD and 4 x 2.5" HDD/SSD -Silver
Refurbished Apple LED Cinema Display (27" flat panel)

Case
LIAN LI Silver Aluminum PC-V353A Micro ATX Media Center / HTPC Case
or
Xigmatek Gigas Micro ATX SFF Cube chassis CC-MD26TA-U02(Silver)

Any help advice would be welcome.
Thanks

That systems will work, however, you won't get speedstepping (no big deal) and it won't sleep (also no big deal for someone editing video).

The only change I would make is I would change out the RevoDrive for a normal SSD. A normal SSD achieves much faster write rates, near the same read speeds, and is easier to work with and extremely versatile, whereas the RevoDrive only works with certain motherboards, you have to set BIOS settings willy nilly, and sometimes it doesn't play nice with the boot loader.

The only change I would make is I would change out the RevoDrive for a normal SSD. A normal SSD achieves much faster write rates, near the same read speeds, and is easier to work with and extremely versatile, whereas the RevoDrive only works with certain motherboards, you have to set BIOS settings willy nilly, and sometimes it doesn't play nice with the boot loader.

Thanks
I will take your advice.

Any thoughts on heat issues. I was thinking of doing away with the Hd cages and putting the SSDs in the SilverStone SST-FP58S. This holds the Blu-ray Burner and 4 SSD's. I thought the extra space from the cages could be air (flow).

Also: This build won't happen for a few months. I have much to learn first.

That would work fine for the SSDs. Make sure the motherboard has Realtek audio and Realtek LAN.

Heat won't be an issue with your components unless it is inside a wooden box.

Another change I would make is that you do not need a 750w PSU for that. I would go with a Seasonic Fanless 460w Gold. May even save you a few $'s too.

There will be USB3 on your motherboard and on your case, I don't see why you need ANOTHER add-in for it. I would drop that and get a normal card reader.

As far as cooling, just get a Hyper 212+ and be done with it. Cool and quiet and only $20.

Thanks again
The build that I linked to has
-Cpu Overclocked to 4.2 GHz @ stock 1.2V (can easily go much higher but I stuck with 4.2 due to heat/fan noise ratio)

I presume this affects cooling.

cheers

It does, but you'll be fine with the air cooler.

In looking at that thread again, I would HIGHLY suggest you change the motherboard. The conglomerate of extra kexts he has is nauseating to say the least.

If you get a Gigabyte board with Realtek audio/video, you wont need as many kexts as him and you wont get as many "working, BUT you need this" scenarios.

Gigabyte do not make a micro-atx board with a 2011 socket as far as i can tell.

There appear to be only three options

ASUS Rampage IV Gene LGA 2011 Intel X79 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard
Audio Chipset SupremeFX III
LAN Chipset

ASRock X79 EXTREME4-M LGA 2011 Intel X79 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard
Audio Chipset - Realtek ALC892
LAN Chipset - Broadcom BCM57781

MSI X79MA-GD45 LGA 2011 Intel X79 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS
Audio Chipset - Realtek ALC892
LAN Chipset - Realtek 8111E

The MSI looks the best on paper but the reviews suck.

Cheers

Gigabyte do not make a micro-atx board with a 2011 socket as far as i can tell.

There appear to be only three options

My shopping list is much like yours Artlaw, very interested in a X79 m-atx build. The Asus Gene looks to be the best reviewed board for sure.

Good progress is being made by Here To Help on the Asus X79 boards over here if you haven't seen: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=63958

Has anyone tried the Shuttle SX79R5?

FORM FACTOR Shuttle Form factor
PROCESSOR Support Intel 2nd Generation Core i7 socket 2011 CPU
CHIPSET Intel X79
MEMORY 4 x 240pin DDR3 DIMM slots
Support Quad channel DDR3 1333/1600MHz up to 32 GB total (8GB*4)
AUDIO Realtek ALC888S
HD 7.1 channel
ETHERNET (2) Realtek 8111E 10Mb/s,100Mb/s,1Gb/s operation
Support Wake-ON-LAN function
STORAGE INTERFACE (2) SATA 6.0Gb/s
(2) SATA 3.0Gb/s
(1) 3.0Gb/s eSATA in back panel
(1) 3.0Gb/s mSTAT (Long mini-PCIE) socket
Support RAID 0,1,10,5
ONBOARD CONNECTORS (1) 4 Pin CPU fan connector
(1) 4 Pin system fan connector
(2) SATA 6G connectors
(2) SATA 3G connectors
(1) ATX main power (2*10)
(1) ATX 12V power (2*2)
(2) 2x5 pin USB header
(1) RS232 header
(1) LPC header
(1) AUX-in header
FRONT PANEL (2) USB 2.0 Port
(2) USB 3.0 Port
(1) Mic-in
(1) Line-out
Power button
HDD Led
BACK PANEL (6) USB 2.0 Ports
(2) USB 3.0 Ports
(1) CMOS clear button
(2) Gigabit Lan Port
(1) Esata Port
(1) Esata power connector
(3)Wireless port perforation
DIMENSIONS 332(L) x 216(W) x 198(H) mm
POWER 500W 80 Plus PFC active power supply
ACCESSORIES XPC Multi-Language quick guide
XPC DVD Driver (include Adobe Reader 8.1)
Heat-sink compound
Power cord
EXPANSION SLOT (2) PCI-E X16 slot
(1) Mini-PCIE (long) socket support mSATA
(1) Mini-PCIE (Short) socket

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back