Intel 8700K 3.7ghz Coffee Lake Processor
Graphics
Gigabyte Z370M-D3H
Mac
  1. iMac
Classic Mac
  1. Portable
Hello Forum/First post,

So now that Skylake is supported I am looking into building and buying a CustoMac mATX with the parts listed exactly from the buyers guide. I had a couple of questions.

I'd like the computer to be as quiet as possible. I noticed that the GPU has a fan on it, and then there are two different choices for cooling. I dont need a terrific GPU to do music production. I'm looking for the quietest parts possible. Can anyone help guide me pick between what is listed to keep the fan noise/computer noise down?

Is 32GB of ram the max?

also- which motherboard is recommended for this?

There is the [h=4]Gigabyte GA-Z170MX-Gaming[/h]
and the
[h=4]Gigabyte GA-Z170M-D3H[/h]

If you don't need the graphics, I believe the Intel igpu is now supported. Then you only need to worry about getting a quiet cpu cooler.
If you need a bit more than the integrated graphics, but want quiet operation the recommended maxwell series cards (gtx 750, 950, 960 etc) are very power efficient. Most models offer zero rpm functionality, check for it before you buy a card. This means the fan on the GPU won't turn on at all until you start pushing it with games/rendering. If the ambient temperatures in your studio aren't too high, I wouldn't expect the GPU fan to kick in during music production.
There are a bunch of 16GB DDR4 DIMMs available now so with 4 slots you can go up to 64GB. Both of the boards support it.

If you don't need the graphics, I believe the Intel igpu is now supported. Then you only need to worry about getting a quiet cpu cooler.
If you need a bit more than the integrated graphics, but want quiet operation the recommended maxwell series cards (gtx 750, 950, 960 etc) are very power efficient. Most models offer zero rpm functionality, check for it before you buy a card. This means the fan on the GPU won't turn on at all until you start pushing it with games/rendering. If the ambient temperatures in your studio aren't too high, I wouldn't expect the GPU fan to kick in during music production.
There are a bunch of 16GB DDR4 DIMMs available now so with 4 slots you can go up to 64GB. Both of the boards support it.

thank you! you're a huge help.

what about the cooling system? what are the advantages to water cooling, is it quieter than a normal fan?

thank you! you're a huge help.

what about the cooling system? what are the advantages to water cooling, is it quieter than a normal fan?

Water coolers tend to be noisier, pumps and all. Get a Noctua heatsink and fan. Will generally cost
less too.

Water coolers tend to be noisier, pumps and all. Get a Noctua heatsink and fan. Will generally cost
less too.

I would agree with the above. Another thing to note about the the water coolers is that these days many of them need software installed (which only works on Windows) to take advantage of all their feutures. If you are looking for a quiet system air cooling is the better option. Water cooling can get you lowet temps at higher overclocks but generally at higher noise.
When choosing a cooler make sure you check for motherboard, ram and case clearance. And try to get one with the largest possible fan. Larger fans push more air at the same speed so will work quieter.

I'm on the same boat, I waited for Skylake support and I feel it's time.
I'll go for 100% build of the customac mATX configuration with maxed out RAM (64giga)
Only thing I'll change is I'll get the Bitfenix Prodigy M that supports micro mobos, me and my girlfriend love the orange one :p

Same here. Thinking of mATX but still in an ATX case... Not shure but It feels like it would be easier to make a bigger case cooler but I see no use in an ATX mobo. I also totally agree about the "air vs liquid cooling".

Just out of curiousity? Any reason to choose Gigabyte over Asus mobo? I'm always used Gigabyte but Stork's Asus 170build looks tempting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back