1. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Build:
MoBo: LGA1151 Intel Z170
Processor: Core i7 6700K
RAM: 32GB DDR4 2400
GPU: GeForce GTX 980 Ti

I’m hoping to get some guidance on upgrading my GPU. I build my hackintosh back in 2017 but I don’t really actively keep up with the scene so I feel almost like I’m starting from scratch here. I’m currently stuck on Sierra (I know I could update to HS but I haven’t gone through the trouble because as I see it it’s not necessary/worth it) because I have a Nvidia GPU. I’m finally starting to really feel the limitations of being several years behind in MacOS and I want to switch to an AMD card so I can update.

My research so far shows that the 6700 (and 6700XT) isn't compatible and that I’ll probably have to go with the 6600 or 6800 line. It is less clear whether or not my current CPU will continue to work with Monterey.

What I’m mainly looking for is advice as far as order of operations. Should I update MacOS first and then switch out the video cards or the other way around? It would seem to make more sense to switch the video cards first, make sure I can get the new card working, and then update MacOS.

My other concern is the specific process with Clover. I’m seeing a lot of talk about how Open Core is better but I don’t know if I want to go to the trouble/risk of switching over from Clover.

I guess I’m really looking for as much hand-holding as someone is willing to give, haha. As I said, I haven’t really been actively following the hackintosh scene since I built mine about 5 years ago and I’ve done pretty minimal updating/changing to my system since I built it.

Actually now that I'm reading a bit more it seems like it might be better to update up to Big Sur instead of Monterey. Seems like there are a lot of compatibility issues with Monterey.

Actually now that I'm reading a bit more it seems like it might be better to update up to Big Sur instead of Monterey. Seems like there are a lot of compatibility issues with Monterey.

If you are going to Big Sur, note that the RX 6000 series cards will not work as they are only supported on Monterey and later.

Actually if you don't mind you can remove your graphics card and use your CPU integrated graphics from the 6700K. That will work with Big Sur and Monterey.

If you go the integrated graphics route check the graphics output ports on the back of the motherboard. What is the exact model of the motherboard?

And if you upgrade (to either Big Sur or Monterey) you WILL have to either switch to OpenCore or upgrade Clover to a later version. The later versions of Clover (beyond 5120) actually use elements of OpenCore to help boot the new versions of MacOS, and as such are quite different from the old versions (5119 and below). You may as well go to OpenCore in such a case.

Edit : As pointed out, the RX 6600 / RX 6600 XT are only supported on MacOS Monterey, but the RX 6800 and 6900 are supported on MacOS Big Sur 11.4 and later.

Last edited:
Thanks for the response!

Motherboard model (from my Amazon order):

1654778418807.png

I do want to stick with a dedicated GPU because I do dual boot into Windows to play games at times. The 980 Ti continues to be great and does what I need it to do (e.g. HL Alyx) but if I'm going to switch I'd like it to be at least a modest upgrade. The 5700 looks ok in that regard and I see it's compatible with Big Sur.

The reason I'm thinking Big Sur is just that I read there are more compatibility issues with Monterey but I can research that more. Do you have experience with one or both?

As far as process:
- It seems like the OpenCore switch would be the first thing to do. Are there any issues with Sierra on OpenCore?
- After that, would it make sense to remove the 980, use the integrated graphics during the OS update process, then install the new GPU once everything else is confirmed working? Seems like that might simplify the process a bit.

Thanks for the response!

Motherboard model (from my Amazon order):

View attachment 549279

I do want to stick with a dedicated GPU because I do dual boot into Windows to play games at times. The 980 Ti continues to be great and does what I need it to do (e.g. HL Alyx) but if I'm going to switch I'd like it to be at least a modest upgrade. The 5700 looks ok in that regard and I see it's compatible with Big Sur.

The reason I'm thinking Big Sur is just that I read there are more compatibility issues with Monterey but I can research that more. Do you have experience with one or both?

As far as process:
- It seems like the OpenCore switch would be the first thing to do. Are there any issues with Sierra on OpenCore?
- After that, would it make sense to remove the 980, use the integrated graphics during the OS update process, then install the new GPU once everything else is confirmed working? Seems like that might simplify the process a bit.
the 980 is not compatible, you will have to remove it

the 980 is not compatible, you will have to remove it
Right, I was just asking about which way would be simpler. I know (at least I think) the 980 would continue to work, just with whatever generic barebones drivers there are. This what happened when I tried updating to Mohave a couple years ago without realizing there were no Nvidia web drivers.

Right, I was just asking about which way would be simpler. I know (at least I think) the 980 would continue to work, just with whatever generic barebones drivers there are. This what happened when I tried updating to Mohave a couple years ago without realizing there were no Nvidia web drivers.
best to remove it for an easier installation

If you are going to Big Sur, note that the RX 6000 series cards will not work as they are only supported on Monterey and later.
The RX 6800, RX 6800 XT, and RX 6900 XT get support starting in Big Sur 11.4. The RX 6600 and RX 6600 XT are supported starting with Monterey 12.1.

The RX 5000 series get supported as early as Catalina 10.15.1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back