Contribute
Register

Advice before buying - Not so easy to find components in Cambodia :-)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
CPU
i7-10700K
Graphics
RX 5700 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hi,

After extensive research on the webside and crawling from one supplier to another, as their choice is usually limited in Cambodia, I finally plan to buy the following configuration:

- Gigabyte Z370 Ultra Gaming wifi
- CPU 1151 Core i7 8700K
- CPU Fan Cooler Master T400i Intel Only
- Ram DDR4 Adata 8GB 3000MHz OC x 2 pcs
- M.2 Samsung 970 Evo 500GB PCIe)
- VGA Gigabyte GTX1060 WF2 O6GB
- Case Aigo Atlantis
- Power Supply Deepcool DQ750M
- Fan Case Aigo X1 x 4 pcs
- HDD Seagate 4TB

This configuration is about 1700$ in Phnom Penh. Does it sound ok in your opinion?

Would you recommend to chose RAM with a higher frequency?
The cooling system sounds good?
I plan as well to run Win10 just for "comfort" in case of trouble. Should I buy another HD as I suppose that the format will be different. A standard SATA 250GB would be enough?

Any remark would be highly appreciated ;-)

Thanks in advance for your valuable time,

Cheers

Hi,

After extensive research on the webside and crawling from one supplier to another, as their choice is usually limited in Cambodia, I finally plan to buy the following configuration:

- Gigabyte Z370 Ultra Gaming wifi
- CPU 1151 Core i7 8700K
- CPU Fan Cooler Master T400i Intel Only
- Ram DDR4 Adata 8GB 3000MHz OC x 2 pcs
- M.2 Samsung 970 Evo 500GB PCIe)
- VGA Gigabyte GTX1060 WF2 O6GB
- Case Aigo Atlantis
- Power Supply Deepcool DQ750M
- Fan Case Aigo X1 x 4 pcs
- HDD Seagate 4TB

This configuration is about 1700$ in Phnom Penh. Does it sound ok in your opinion?

Would you recommend to chose RAM with a higher frequency?
The cooling system sounds good?
I plan as well to run Win10 just for "comfort" in case of trouble. Should I buy another HD as I suppose that the format will be different. A standard SATA 250GB would be enough?

Any remark would be highly appreciated ;-)

Thanks in advance for your valuable time,

Cheers

In my opinion, DDR4 RAM of lower frequencies (say 2400 / 2666) will still work with minimal or no impact to the system performance. So I would recommend switching to lower frequency RAM to save some money.

If you plan to install Windows 10 and MacOS, the general recommendation is to use a separate disk for each of them. So you should plan on getting at least 2 disks.

Also, if you are planning to install the latest MacOS 10.14 Mojave, then the GTX 1060 will not work fully at this time since Nvidia has not released web drivers for it. You have to stay with 10.13 High Sierra if you intend to use the 1060.

Thanks a lot for your time.
I plan to install High Sierra and then upgrade when it will be safe.
I take into account your comment regarding RAM frequency :)

Cheers

Thanks a lot for your time.
I plan to install High Sierra and then upgrade when it will be safe.
I take into account your comment regarding RAM frequency :)

Cheers

Your WiFi motherboard module won’t work either. It will work in Windows but it won’t in MacOS. You can find compatible PCIE WiFi cards in the buyers guide or you can do a little research and get a replacement module for the built in setup. If your using a lan connection then it doesn’t matter unless the lan is also not compatible. Do you know what the lan (wired) internat soecs are?

For graphics a AMD RX 470-580 will work natively in Hogh Sierra and Mojave. The RX 580 8gb is very close to a 1060 in windows but runs much smoother in MacOS. And it’s easier on the brain, no worries for updates or install of web drivers that are needed for the Nvidia cards.

It’s easiset to install to a SSD and then copy the install to the NVME drive. Sometimes installing directly to the NVME can have issues, but it may also work no problem. It’s a good idea to have a couple of drives handy in case you need a backup.

Good Luck, and don’t give up, it may take a little effort and patience. If you follow the guides and ask questions you will be able to have a very nice system that works very well in macOS.

Thanks a lot ;-)

I was definitely thinking about AMD GPU for the advantages you quote. Unfortunately, in Cambodia it is quite impossible to find.
Regarding WIFI, here again I know it won't work on OSX but... lack of choice ;-)
I keep in mind the advice to install on SSD 1st to avoid potential trouble and then Carbon Copy once it works.
I won't give up, I have time as my iMac is still working fine. I am, for the time being, more on an "intellectual game" to be solved out.

Cheers,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back