Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi tony, its Nathan here - you may remember me from the guides site. I've attempted to add two 1.5 tb sata drives to my P55M-UD2 hackintosh. Due to ease of access one is plugged in to the upwards facing socket on the mb - the drive appears orange on the desktop as i think this is an 'external' socket - and the other is plugged into the main sata bank that my boot drive uses - can't remember the colours but its the main chipset.

the one in the external socket is rock solid - it happily copied over 300gb of data and is going strong. the other cannot cope with writing any large amount of data. the copying progress bar freezes and pressing on 'stop copying' results (eventually) in the drive being forcefully unmounted and an unmounting error message appearing. to get it to reappear i have to reboot. before i reboot at this stage it doesnt show in dutil or sysprofiler. Clicking on SATA in sys profiler reports an error analysing the sata drives (although boot drive and other 1.5 tb drive still work fine in finder). ive reformatted the drive twice, and repartitioned it once as a last measure using Mac OS X Journaled. strangely the drive has sat happily on my desktop all day and only goes funky when i write to it.

things ive tried - put the dodgy drive on the other colour sata socket to see if it was chipset issues. still flaky.

things i havent tried - swapping the drive sockets completely, and trying the dodgy drive in a sata dock on my macbook pro, which i will get round to eventually.

Tony, does this look like a dud drive? or could this be a strange hackintosh software sata thing? cheers for your help people

I've never had problems with SATA on my UD2- I run 2 1TB Seagate 7200RPM SATA drives mirrored and back up daily.

I think you have a bad drive- if you can, exchange it. Can't wait til hard drives are all solid state... :mrgreen:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back