Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
AsRock Fata1ity Z270 Gaming ITX
CPU
i5-7500
Graphics
WX5100
I would like to know if anyone can help me with this. I would like to add Windows to my build on a separate drive. I am running El Capitan. Can I do this? I have been searching on the forums but it seems like every forum I found talks about fresh install on both os.

I would like to know if anyone can help me with this. I would like to add Windows to my build on a separate drive. I am running El Capitan. Can I do this? I have been searching on the forums but it seems like every forum I found talks about fresh install on both os.

To add Windows on a separate drive is easy. Only thing you might screw up with is the Windows drive MUST be formatted GPT if you are using Clover EFI to boot your OS X.

Easy method:
Connect Win-to-be drive and launch disk utility
Format the drive as if you were going to install OS X El Capitan
Shutdown, disconnect the OS X drive.
boot with Windows install media
at the drive selection screen, select the partition created with OS X disk utility and delete it
with the resulting free space hi-lited, click continue.
Windows installer will create the required partitions, format them and install Windows.
When install is complete, go to Microsoft update and run the updater until it tells you no more updates are available.
Set up your security firewall and AV app.
Shutdown, reconnect OS X drive and boot to UEFI/BIOS and make the OS X drive first in BBS boot order.
Boot Windows from icon named Boot Microsoft EFI from EFI.

Thanks but it did not work. I sure I screwed up somewhere. You did say that it can be easy to screw up. I erased the SSD with Disk Utility. Then I disconnected( which is a hassle because I have it on a PCIe) the OS X and booted off a USB Intall drive. Everything was going well until I got to the part about which partition to delete. I deleted the bigger partition. Don't know if thats the correct 1. I also saw an EFI partition on the same disk. Which 1 to delete?

When I deleted the bigger 1 I was able to select it as my drive for install but then I got an error message saying something like Windows was unable to find an existing partition.

Thanks but it did not work. I sure I screwed up somewhere. You did say that it can be easy to screw up. I erased the SSD with Disk Utility. Then I disconnected( which is a hassle because I have it on a PCIe) the OS X and booted off a USB Intall drive. Everything was going well until I got to the part about which partition to delete. I deleted the bigger partition. Don't know if thats the correct 1. I also saw an EFI partition on the same disk. Which 1 to delete?

When I deleted the bigger 1 I was able to select it as my drive for install but then I got an error message saying something like Windows was unable to find an existing partition.

When booting Windows installer to install on UEFI, use the function hot key to select a boot device.
You will see something like:

P0 USB Windows installer
UEFI USB Windows installer

Select the UEFI option and hit enter

Thanks. I was able to install Windows on a separate drive and I see the option your talking about in the Clover Bootloader but when I select Boot Microsoft EFI from EFI it will start booting then my monitor says there is no signal. If I change the Boot Order under BIOS then I can boot into Windows with no problem.

Thanks. I was able to install Windows on a separate drive and I see the option your talking about in the Clover Bootloader but when I select Boot Microsoft EFI from EFI it will start booting then my monitor says there is no signal. If I change the Boot Order under BIOS then I can boot into Windows with no problem.

Click start, type msinfo32 and hit enter. Click on the info window, hit alt+print screen and paste in your reply post.

When I did msinfo32 this is what came up. I was not able to do the Alt+Print Screen and Paste the info on the screen so I copied it and paste it. I have removed the my User Name. I hope this is the info you asked for.

Item Value
OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
Version 10.0.10586 Build 10586
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name
System Manufacturer Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
System Model Z97MX-Gaming 5
System Type x64-based PC
System SKU To be filled by O.E.M.
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4790K CPU @ 4.00GHz, 4001 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. F6, 9/18/2015
SMBIOS Version 2.7
Embedded Controller Version 255.255
BIOS Mode UEFI
BaseBoard Manufacturer Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
BaseBoard Model Not Available
BaseBoard Name Base Board
Platform Role Desktop
Secure Boot State Off
PCR7 Configuration Binding Not Possible
Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume4
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "10.0.10586.0"
User Name
Time Zone Central Standard Time
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 16.0 GB
Total Physical Memory 15.8 GB
Available Physical Memory 13.7 GB
Total Virtual Memory 18.7 GB
Available Virtual Memory 16.5 GB
Page File Space 2.88 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys
Hyper-V - VM Monitor Mode Extensions Yes
Hyper-V - Second Level Address Translation Extensions Yes
Hyper-V - Virtualization Enabled in Firmware Yes
Hyper-V - Data Execution Protection Yes

When I did msinfo32 this is what came up.
BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. F6, 9/18/2015
SMBIOS Version 2.7
Embedded Controller Version 255.255
BIOS Mode UEFI

This was what I was looking for - verification that you do indeed have an EFI installation of Windows.

Now that you have completed installation of both OS X and Windows, boot to UEFI/BIOS and check your settings under the BIOS Features tab (in Legacy view):
Under Boot Option Priorities set
Boot Option #1 = UEFI OS X drive
Boot Option #2 = UEFI Windows drive
Boot option 3 & 4 = any other boot drives - optical drive Linux distro drive, etc.

Intel Virtualization Technology -> Enabled
Then disable the TXT, VT-d options, The Dynamic Storage can be enabled or not - your choice

Windows 8 Features -> set to Windows 8 WHQL if that is an option

CSM Support - I would try first with it disabled. If that does not work, try with it set to Always, then set boot mode to UEFI only
If that does not work set boot mode to UEFI and Legacy.

This was what I was looking for - verification that you do indeed have an EFI installation of Windows.

Now that you have completed installation of both OS X and Windows, boot to UEFI/BIOS and check your settings under the BIOS Features tab (in Legacy view):
Under Boot Option Priorities set
Boot Option #1 = UEFI OS X drive
Boot Option #2 = UEFI Windows drive
Boot option 3 & 4 = any other boot drives - optical drive Linux distro drive, etc.

Intel Virtualization Technology -> Enabled
Then disable the TXT, VT-d options, The Dynamic Storage can be enabled or not - your choice

Windows 8 Features -> set to Windows 8 WHQL if that is an option

CSM Support - I would try first with it disabled. If that does not work, try with it set to Always, then set boot mode to UEFI only
If that does not work set boot mode to UEFI and Legacy.

Thank you very much. I set Windows 8 WHQL and that did the trick! My other BIOS setting were already set the way you have instructed. Thanks again.:thumbup:

Adding Windows 10 dual boot with Clover and El Capitan.

Hi Going Bald,
It's been awhile since I've had a problem like this, likely 6 or 7 Hackintosh builds back. I'm hoping because you know more than anyone about problems like I just ran across you can help.

I just built a Z97x-UD3H with a Haswell 4770 cpu and an M.2 Boot drive for OSX using Clover choosing UEFI over Legacy in the Unibeast USB stick creation choices. The OSX with Clover works like a charm, the total install took me less than an hour.

I disconnected the M.2 drive and installed Windows 10 on a Samsung SSD plugged into a Sata port, I installed Windows 10 from a CD deleting two partitions that were on the Samsung SSD from a prior Windows 7 build and letting Windows 10 do it's partitioning and formatting. All went smoothly and I was able to boot into Windows without a problem. I then hooked up the M.2 drive and booted successfully into Clover. I'm able to access the OSX drive without a problem.

In addition to the OSX drive, two NTFS partitions were created visible on the Clover boot loader screen. If I try to boot into either one, I just get a blinking dash at the top left of the screen and Windows does not boot.

In bios I made my first boot device UEFI OSX and then the Windows drive second in the boot order.

Apparently I'm missing something that more often than not is simple for someone who has faced it before but not so much when it is the first time faced. That is the case here. I've only been using Clover recently as I'm rebuilding all our machines from scratch with El Capitan. I'm a bit lost after probably 6 years of Chimera experience starting with P55 motherboards and now I"m requesting and need your help.

Thanks in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back