Contribute
Register

Adding/Using HiDPI custom resolutions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok so maybe that is where the confusion came from.
I am trying to get retina on the external monitors (I have two). I am not touching the embedded screen of the macbook pro.

You have a 4k external display?

Like I said though... your plist won't work with <real>.

And you need scale-resolutions to contain:
#1 the retina resolution that you want to see
#2 an entry that is double each of #1
#3 an entry for native resolution (no double).

You have a 4k external display?

Like I said though... your plist won't work with <real>.

And you need scale-resolutions to contain:
#1 the retina resolution that you want to see
#2 an entry that is double each of #1
#3 an entry for native resolution (no double).

I have that guy (twice) connected on Thunderbolt port to my Macbook pro.
http://www.samsung.com/us/computer/monitors/LU28D590DS/ZA

The panel is capable of 3840x2160.
On Yosemite, I leveraged that public thread to get it to show a 1920x1080 retina resolution (-= 3840x2160) on that screen.
That is what I am trying to solve on El Capitan now.

I have that guy (twice) connected on Thunderbolt port to my Macbook pro.
http://www.samsung.com/us/computer/monitors/LU28D590DS/ZA

The panel is capable of 3840x2160.
On Yosemite, I leveraged that public thread to get it to show a 1920x1080 retina resolution (-= 3840x2160) on that screen.
That is what I am trying to solve on El Capitan now.

AFAIK, same process on 10.11 but different file locations. And the need to disable SIP to manipulate protected system files.

AFAIK, same process on 10.11 but different file locations. And the need to disable SIP to manipulate protected system files.

It looks different though on 10.11.

This is the data settings I have from a working Yosemite Display file, just moved it to the right place after having disabled SIP.

Code:
MacBook-Pro:~ boris$ plutil /System/Library/Displays/Contents/Resources/Overrides/DisplayVendorID-4c2d/DisplayProductID-b80
/System/Library/Displays/Contents/Resources/Overrides/DisplayVendorID-4c2d/DisplayProductID-b80: OK
MacBook-Pro:~ boris$ more /System/Library/Displays/Contents/Resources/Overrides/DisplayVendorID-4c2d/DisplayProductID-b80
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
        <key>DisplayProductName</key>
        <string>Samsung U28D590</string>
        <key>DisplayProductID</key>
        <integer>2944</integer>
        <key>DisplayVendorID</key>
        <integer>19501</integer>
        <key>IODisplayEDID</key>        <data>AP///////wBMLYALAAAAADQXAQS1PSN4Ol+xoldPoigPUFS/74BxT4EAgcCBgKnAswCVANEAC8IAoPBwPoAwIDUAX1khAAAaVl4AoKCgKVAwIDUAX1khAAAaAAAA/QAySx6GNgAKICAgICAgAAAA/ABVMjhENTkwCiAgICAgAfUCAwzwIwkHB4MBAAACOoAYcTgtQFgsRQBfWSEAAB4AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAlw==</data>
</dict>
</plist>

I cannot access the retina resolution on the 4k screen (note that looks like 1920x1080 real estate).

So I am wondering what I am missing on El Capitan:
  1. to get HiDPI enabled (I followed the instructions but cannot see any)
  2. to get the retina resolution on the 4k screen (again, the equivalent real estate is 1920x1080). When I tried your instructions, I had data for 1920x1080, for 3840x2160 and even double of that. I am not just too sure of how that would need to be setup since the screen can do 3840x2160 natively, it is just that it is hardly readable at such resolution.
In all my attempts, the screen would render on a 2560x1440 at most which I don't really understand (based on what the OSD says).

Any idea, let me know, willing to try to get the retina experience from Yosemite back on El Capitan.

This was the approach taken on Yosemite described here:
https://discussions.apple.com/message/26186765#26186765

It looks different though on 10.11.

This is the data settings I have from a working Yosemite Display file, just moved it to the right place after having disabled SIP.

Code:
MacBook-Pro:~ boris$ plutil /System/Library/Displays/Contents/Resources/Overrides/DisplayVendorID-4c2d/DisplayProductID-b80
/System/Library/Displays/Contents/Resources/Overrides/DisplayVendorID-4c2d/DisplayProductID-b80: OK
MacBook-Pro:~ boris$ more /System/Library/Displays/Contents/Resources/Overrides/DisplayVendorID-4c2d/DisplayProductID-b80
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
        <key>DisplayProductName</key>
        <string>Samsung U28D590</string>
        <key>DisplayProductID</key>
        <integer>2944</integer>
        <key>DisplayVendorID</key>
        <integer>19501</integer>
        <key>IODisplayEDID</key>        <data>AP///////wBMLYALAAAAADQXAQS1PSN4Ol+xoldPoigPUFS/74BxT4EAgcCBgKnAswCVANEAC8IAoPBwPoAwIDUAX1khAAAaVl4AoKCgKVAwIDUAX1khAAAaAAAA/QAySx6GNgAKICAgICAgAAAA/ABVMjhENTkwCiAgICAgAfUCAwzwIwkHB4MBAAACOoAYcTgtQFgsRQBfWSEAAB4AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAlw==</data>
</dict>
</plist>

No scaled-resolutions in that plist. Read post #1.

I cannot access the retina resolution on the 4k screen (note that looks like 1920x1080 real estate).

You will never see the native resolution in SysPrefs->Displays. The text would be too small. The entire point is to provide an effective resolution but scale it up for better clairity.

This guide was written for hacks for the internal laptop displays. I don't know if there are additional tweaks you need for desktops and 4k displays. I have no 4k hardware (not willing to be that kind of early adopter).

No scaled-resolutions in that plist. Read post #1.

You will never see the native resolution in SysPrefs->Displays. The text would be too small. The entire point is to provide an effective resolution but scale it up for better clairity.

This guide was written for hacks for the internal laptop displays. I don't know if there are additional tweaks you need for desktops and 4k displays. I have no 4k hardware (not willing to be that kind of early adopter).

Understood.
I was replying to your point that 10.11 should be no different to 10.10 and I could reuse the plist that was working for me in 10.10. That definitely broke after the upgrade to 10.11.

I agree with your point on early adopter, it can be painful :D

I will try experimenting more with the instructions you gave. I had a 1920x1080 real estate presented on a 2560x1440 (reported on the OSD monitor information). So I think I am not that far, I am just missing the trick to get the screen in 3840x2160 instead of 2560x1440.

Thanks a lot for sharing your knowledge here rehabman - this is very much appreciated !

I'm having an issue with a new 4k TV that looks like it identifies itself as 1080p60hz as its default resolution. I'm able to display 4k30hz, but for some reason it will not allow a 1080p HiDPI 30hz resolution. It shows up in SwitchResX but does nothing when selected.

I do not have this issue with another 4k TV that I've used as a monitor, which identifies itself as a 4k display to the OS.

Is there some way to change what the OS views as the default resolution? I've disabled SIP and messed with SwitchResX, but I'm not sure I have the expertise to use the method in this thread, or that it would work if the default resolution isn't altered. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I'm having an issue with a new 4k TV that looks like it identifies itself as 1080p60hz as its default resolution. I'm able to display 4k30hz, but for some reason it will not allow a 1080p HiDPI 30hz resolution. It shows up in SwitchResX but does nothing when selected.

I do not have this issue with another 4k TV that I've used as a monitor, which identifies itself as a 4k display to the OS.

Is there some way to change what the OS views as the default resolution? I've disabled SIP and messed with SwitchResX, but I'm not sure I have the expertise to use the method in this thread, or that it would work if the default resolution isn't altered. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Never dealt with any such issue (it is too soon to purchase 4k equipment; early adopter penalty looms large)...

But sounds like you might need to patch EDID. Or at least start by looking at what is in EDID.

That worked great on my XPS 13 9343 FHD.

I have attached my plist file if someone wants to take a look.

Attachments

• DisplayProductID-1420.plist
    555 bytes · Views: 262
hi i have laptop with 1920X1080 (which is configured as a MacBookPro 11,1)and in SysPrefs->Displays
Screen Shot 2015-12-05 at 11.19.36 AM.png
and can i get HiDPI on 1920X1080 res
thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back