Gigabyte Aorus Ultra Gaming WIFI - F2 - Clover
CPU
i7-8700K
Graphics
RX 570
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Hello,

I have the rig in my signature set up and working with all but a few things. I don't have a network connection in my shop, so I build my computers without a network connection until everything is set up. This is fine for PCs since all I don't want a connection until I have everything configured and the security software installed and updated.

I did install networking through Multi-Beast, so the necessary files may be there but I don't know.

Is there a procedure for this? If I take the computer to where it will be used and plug into the network (wired), will I be able to use the OSX interface to set up networking?

Do I need to post additional information?

Thanks,

LMHmedchem

Today I connected to the internet. I plugged in the cable with the system off and booted. When the system came up, I opened the Network manager and found the system was connected. I did not have to do anything to set it up.

Apparently with the Intel 1219v2 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Adapter, having the IntelMausiEthernet.kext v2.4 properly installed in /Library/Extensions was sufficient. I don't know if there was anything configured that I don't know about.

After confirming the connection, I opened Safari and checked a few things to make sure I had a good connection. After I closed the Safari window, I did right click on the Safari icon to quit Safari. I have never liked the fact that MacOS leaves apps running in the background after you close out the window. Shortly after I quit Safari, the system suddenly restarted. I'm not sure if the events were related or not. I used it for a bit after the restart, mostly some browsing at iTunes, and it did not happen again. This has never happened before since I got things configured.

Is it possible that this had something to do with the connection, IntelMausiEthernet.kext v2.4, or Safari?

I have also recently changed my system definition from 18,3 to 19,2 because I have an i7-8700k. The 19,2 definition doesn't like High Sierra so I have to boot with the -no_compat_check flag to boot the system. It is possible the restart is related to this but I thought I would check here because the shutdown seemed to be correspond to my using the IntelMausiEthernet.kext for the first time, or quitting Safari.

LMHmedchem

Today I connected to the internet. I plugged in the cable with the system off and booted. When the system came up, I opened the Network manager and found the system was connected. I did not have to do anything to set it up.

Apparently with the Intel 1219v2 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Adapter, having the IntelMausiEthernet.kext v2.4 properly installed in /Library/Extensions was sufficient. I don't know if there was anything configured that I don't know about.

After confirming the connection, I opened Safari and checked a few things to make sure I had a good connection. After I closed the Safari window, I did right click on the Safari icon to quit Safari. I have never liked the fact that MacOS leaves apps running in the background after you close out the window. Shortly after I quit Safari, the system suddenly restarted. I'm not sure if the events were related or not. I used it for a bit after the restart, mostly some browsing at iTunes, and it did not happen again. This has never happened before since I got things configured.

Is it possible that this had something to do with the connection, IntelMausiEthernet.kext v2.4, or Safari?

I have also recently changed my system definition from 18,3 to 19,2 because I have an i7-8700k. The 19,2 definition doesn't like High Sierra so I have to boot with the -no_compat_check flag to boot the system. It is possible the restart is related to this but I thought I would check here because the shutdown seemed to be correspond to my using the IntelMausiEthernet.kext for the first time, or quitting Safari.

LMHmedchem

Apps should not be expected to quit just because its windows are closed. macOS doesn't work the same way Windows does.

If your system restarted just from quitting Safari, something is wrong with your system. I highly doubt that it's related to IntelMausiEthernet. Did you get a kernel panic log?

iMac19,2 system definition should not be expected to work with High Sierra without the "-no_compat_check" flag. The iMac19,2 was released with Mojave. I suspect that the system definition is more likely the cause of your issue than IntelMausiEthernet.

Yes, I got the restart again today and I wasn't connected to the internet at all. I just moved the mouse. I have looked in /Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports, and also in the Console app, but I don't see any kernel panic logs. There are a few analytics logs, two disk write logs, and one that I couldn't read.

I have attached the system log and the errors and faults filter from the user log. Should I run the debug info script and post that? I am sure this is not the right forum anymore since this is definitely not an internet issue.

LMHmedchem

Attachments

• logs.zip
    43.5 KB · Views: 39
Yes, I got the restart again today and I wasn't connected to the internet at all. I just moved the mouse. I have looked in /Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports, and also in the Console app, but I don't see any kernel panic logs. There are a few analytics logs, two disk write logs, and one that I couldn't read.

I have attached the system log and the errors and faults filter from the user log. Should I run the debug info script and post that? I am sure this is not the right forum anymore since this is definitely not an internet issue.

LMHmedchem

What kind of Wi-Fi/Bluetooth card are you using?

How much free space do you have on your main system drive?

Please post your EFI folder and a screenshot of what you have installed in /Library/Extensions/.

What kind of Wi-Fi/Bluetooth card are you using?
I am only using a hard wired network connection. This board has WiFi and Bluetooth but I am not using them. I think I have to insert an M2 card that came with the board if I wanted to use those. There is nothing in the BIOS at the moment about either and I guess that is because I have never installed the card. I don't intend to use either unless for some reason I need to install the card to get things working.

How much free space do you have on your main system drive?
The OS drive is a 250GB M.2 NvMe SSD with 236GB available. I generally don't keep any files on the OS drive other than the OS and applications. I have another 250GB M.2 SSD for my project files and a 4TB platter drive for archive. I haven't had much luck moving the user profile directory off of the install drive but I don't keep much in that directory anyway.

Please post your EFI folder and a screenshot of what you have installed in /Library/Extensions/.
Those are attached below.

The changes I have made recently are changing the sys def from 18,3 to 19,2, adding the -no_conpat_check flag, updating USBInjectAll.kext to the version here #295 to get my USB working with the 19,2 definition, and using internet for the first time.

LMHmedchem

Attachments

• EFI_and_screenshot.zip
    23.2 MB · Views: 61
I am only using a hard wired network connection. This board has WiFi and Bluetooth but I am not using them. I think I have to insert an M2 card that came with the board if I wanted to use those. There is nothing in the BIOS at the moment about either and I guess that is because I have never installed the card. I don't intend to use either unless for some reason I need to install the card to get things working.

The OS drive is a 250GB M.2 NvMe SSD with 236GB available. I generally don't keep any files on the OS drive other than the OS and applications. I have another 250GB M.2 SSD for my project files and a 4TB platter drive for archive. I haven't had much luck moving the user profile directory off of the install drive but I don't keep much in that directory anyway.

Those are attached below.

The changes I have made recently are changing the sys def from 18,3 to 19,2, adding the -no_conpat_check flag, updating USBInjectAll.kext to the version here #295 to get my USB working with the 19,2 definition, and using internet for the first time.

LMHmedchem

Please make a backup of your existing EFI folder so that you can boot from it in the event that this one doesn't work for you at all then try this EFI.

Also, please delete GenericUSBXHCI.kext from /Library/Extensions/.

Attachments

• EFI_and_screenshot.zip
    23.4 MB · Views: 51
Please make a backup of your existing EFI folder so that you can boot from it in the event that this one doesn't work for you at all then try this EFI.

Also, please delete GenericUSBXHCI.kext from /Library/Extensions/.
Is there a guide for how to go about switching out the EFI folder. Can I just delete the existing one with finder or the terminal and copy in the new one? Are there permission issues to deal with?

If it's not that simple, it would help to have a link to a procedure. I have backup images of my system drive but I will make a copy of the existing EFI on my archive drive. I do that anyway as a second backup even though I have never restored that way.

LMHmedchem

Is there a guide for how to go about switching out the EFI folder. Can I just delete the existing one with finder or the terminal and copy in the new one? Are there permission issues to deal with?

If it's not that simple, it would help to have a link to a procedure. I have backup images of my system drive but I will make a copy of the existing EFI on my archive drive. I do that anyway as a second backup even though I have never restored that way.

LMHmedchem

I don't know of any guide.

Yes, you can just delete your existing EFI folder and copy in the new one. There are no permissions to deal with.

Remember to make a backup of your existing EFI folder. The best thing to do would be to initialize a USB flash drive to HFS+ or APFS. Mount the EFI partition of the USB flash drive and copy your existing EFI folder to the EFI partition. This way, you can boot from it in case of an emergency. I always keep one of these around.

Well the system boots with the revised EFI. I also deleted the kext you indicated. What is different about this EFI compared to the original? The .zip you posted had the same name as the one I posted, so I checked the size of the EFI folders to make sure they were actually different.

I am not really sure how to test if it is more stable because I am not sure what triggered the restarts before. I have wondered if I need to configure a DSDT, update clover, or any of the other refinements I haven't got to yet.

My main issue is that I am going to install Logic X tomorrow and I need to make a decision about the system definition. I am assuming that it will cause issues if I install Logic using the 19,2 definition and serial number and then change it back to 18,3 or something else later. I can't imagine that Logic will still work in that scenario.

Is there anything I can do to try to determine if things are more stable now? This is primarily going to be used for audio recording and editing. It would not be at all amusing if the system were to restart in the middle of recording.

LMHmedchem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back