Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GA-Z77X-UD5H Gigabyte
CPU
i7-3770K
Graphics
GTX 670
Adding a second HDD, need to keep the files

I’ve been running an i7-3770K system a little over a year ago.(success post here: http://www.tonymacx86.com/user-buil...x670-2gb-vengeance-32gb-running-10-8-4-a.html) It has 32gb of RAM, a 2TB Seagate SATA HDD, and two 128GB SSDs. It’s been super stable.

I’ve got a second, older hackintosh with an i3 chip that is two years old. It had a 1.5TB Seagate SATA HDD in it. I need to downsize and get rid of this second computer. I would like to move the 1.5TB HDD from the old machine to my main machine.

Here are a couple of things:

- The drive is formatted in Mac OS Extended and has a lot of files that I don’t want to lose

- The drive was the only drive in the old machine and as such it has 2 partitions, one that has the system files, one that has my files

I’m wondering what steps I have to take to get this drive up and running in my new machine…

Are there any pitfalls or gotchas I need to watch out for?

Is there anything else I need to do to ensure that the machine doesn’t try to boot to this new drive as it technically has macOS on it?

Just plug it in, your system should continue to boot from the drive it does from right now. Your title says you can't format but I didn't see you asking anything about that.

Just plug it in, your system should continue to boot from the drive it does from right now. Your title says you can't format but I didn't see you asking anything about that.

Thanks so much clipper! I'm by no means a hardware guy and it's been a year since i've researched anything regarding this machine... i was hoping it would be as simple as just plugging it in, but i always want to double check incase there is something obvious i'm missing

For convenience (if you want) you can put the HDD in an external casing and connect it to your computer via USB.

UGH!! OK... I added the drive and when my machine booted, it saw the two partitions on the drive and mounted them. Moving around the drive is strange - it's much slower to load the contents of a file and once the contents are loaded, I can't operate on them... videos won't play. I've decided I just want the damn thing to work... most of the files I've already backed up. Now i just want the thing to work!

When I go to disk utility I want to repartition the drive to be just one partition but for some reason I can't. I get the attached error. I get the same error if i try to erase a particular partition as well...

please help!!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-06-03 at 9.25.42 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-06-03 at 9.25.42 AM.png
    33.8 KB · Views: 83
update:

went to a partition of the drive in disk utility and clicked verify, was told to repair, and then it came back with the attached error

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-06-03 at 9.35.12 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-06-03 at 9.35.12 AM.png
    90.2 KB · Views: 79
Boot from a Unibeast USB and instead of installing OSX run Disk Utility and do the repairs from there.

next update:

I was able to finally unmount using the command line:

17 $ diskutil unmountDisk force /Volumes/cotfessi
Forced unmount of all volumes on disk2 was successful

went to diskutility and tried to partition the drive... and i get the attached error:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-06-03 at 10.03.08 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-06-03 at 10.03.08 AM.png
    69.8 KB · Views: 81
Boot from a Unibeast USB and instead of installing OSX run Disk Utility and do the repairs from there.

CLIPPER: what is the difference with diskutility at the unibeast level?

There are situations where OSX (Windows too) cannot perform certain types of low-level repairs to a drive from inside the OS itself. This looks like one of those situations to me. Try the repair as I've said and let us know how you make out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back