Contribute
Register

Add El Capitan to existing multibeast dual boot setup?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
ASUS Maximus VII Hero
CPU
Intel Core i7-4770k
Graphics
Nvidia GTX 980 (x2)
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
So I'm currently running a dual boot build with multibeast/chameleon and have Yosemite on one drive and Windows 10 on another .. however, just noticed that Unibeast now only comes with Clover boot ... does that mean I need to start from scratch and redo my Windows 10 and Mac setup from scratch? (I was hoping to get a separate drive, stick el capitan on it, and add it to the boot menu ... )

You do need clover. Install el capitan into a separate disk and get it to work first before messing with your working Yosemite Install. If you are keen, you can update to el capitan from yosemite but read the forums carefully first. If I were you, I'd go for advice #1. good luck.

Thanks for the advice .. i was hoping to avoid route 1 but i guess it's inevitable .. what happens to my windows 10 install? Do i have to redo that with Clover too?

It is best, and possibly necessary, if all the operating systems you're trying to boot are all installed UEFI, or all installed legacy.

So you could try installing El Capitan with legacy Boot, and then booting Windows legacy. I don't know whether Clover could then boot the existing Yosemite install, but at least there's the possibility. (I have a limited understanding of the intricacies of legacy installs.)

The other option would be to upgrade Yosemite to Clover, convert Windows to UEFI, and install El Capitan using the same Clover install as Yosemite (just a few additional settings required in config.plist).

You can probably do all this one at a time. Remove all drives and install El Capitan clean. If you can't get it to work, forget the whole idea. If it works, then remove that drive and try upgrading Yosemite to Clover. If that works, put the El Capitan drive back in and try getting both Yosemite and El Capitan starting up from the same Clover install (you'll need to pick a drive to boot to and put some config.plist tweaks for each onto that drive). If that works, remove the drives and convert the Windows legacy install to UEFI. If that works, put all the drives back in and make sure BIOS boots the right Clover drive by default, and you should be golden.

It is best, and possibly necessary, if all the operating systems you're trying to boot are all installed UEFI, or all installed legacy.

So you could try installing El Capitan with legacy Boot, and then booting Windows legacy. I don't know whether Clover could then boot the existing Yosemite install, but at least there's the possibility. (I have a limited understanding of the intricacies of legacy installs.)

The other option would be to upgrade Yosemite to Clover, convert Windows to UEFI, and install El Capitan using the same Clover install as Yosemite (just a few additional settings required in config.plist).

You can probably do all this one at a time. Remove all drives and install El Capitan clean. If you can't get it to work, forget the whole idea. If it works, then remove that drive and try upgrading Yosemite to Clover. If that works, put the El Capitan drive back in and try getting both Yosemite and El Capitan starting up from the same Clover install (you'll need to pick a drive to boot to and put some config.plist tweaks for each onto that drive). If that works, remove the drives and convert the Windows legacy install to UEFI. If that works, put all the drives back in and make sure BIOS boots the right Clover drive by default, and you should be golden.

It's been a while since I made this setup .. almost forgot how complex it can be ..

I never knew you could upgrade to clover without clearing everything out .. i guess that would make sense as my first step. I originally avoided doing anything Clover related as I'd heard it was the more complicated route to take.

Thanks for all the advice though, your steps sound very logical (though who knows what'll actually happen till I try .. guess I have some more research to do before I actually do anything and it'll probably be a weekend job for me. Have you seen any good guides of people doing something akin to what you've suggested?

I did a guide including converting an existing Yosemite install to Clover (you can ignore the rest of it).

There's a more general guide on installing Yosemite with Clover that you could look at to get a more generic config.plist to start with (mine probably has some customizations for my machine).

I'm not sure if there's anything more specific to your setup; perhaps check the multi booting forum?

Ah, that's really really useful thanks! I think I'll be following your guide to start with, see if i can get at least Yosemite updated with Clover tonight.

... hopefully i won't run into anything but if i do, i probably post my questions in here.

I did a guide including converting an existing Yosemite install to Clover (you can ignore the rest of it).

So I managed to follow the guide you wrote and managed to upgrade my current version of Yosemite to Clover. The part I got stuck in was between 8 and 9 of "Install El Capitan". So i restart the computer, choose Boot OSX install, i get the apple logo, it almost reaches the end, screen goes black and the computer restarts .. happens everytime i hit boot install and not sure why ...

My current boot arguments are:

dart=0 kext-dev-mode=1 nvda_drv=1

Which boots up my yosemite build fine .. am I missing something here?

EDIT: Me being an idiot .. i forgot to add nv_disable=1 for the install ..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back