Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z87X-D3H
CPU
i5-4690K
Graphics
HD 4600
Hey guys,
Not sure where to put this, or even if its discussed. I think part 2 may be though haha
Anyway, I just had my machine running, bought some extra RAM and a new SSD for it, and, it finally died, kaput, gone. So, since I use it as a recording studio, i have been in dire need, and turned out, my step dad had a Mac Mini I could have, which is ace, but...

Mac Mini (late 2012)
Core i5
16Gb Ram

All good so far, but, its got the crappy 500Gb 5400rpm HDD, so, I am running it through a Wavlink docking station on the 1Tb SSD I got. Still all good, but, its a dual dock, and, when I add a second drive, it just wont boot, and obviously, I cant plug it in when its running. I have a second USB to Sata adaptor arriving, so, going to connect the OS drive to that, and,hopefully that solves the problem (Fullness of time, I will get the SSD into the machine, and avoid all this, but, I am a bit newvous about doing it myself, so, finding somewehere that does it.

Part 2, I was looking, and, hadnt thought about it, but, using Opencore, I can upgrade past Catalina I believe? Monterey would be great, thats what I was on before, but, with it being an actual Mac, do you think this is worth doing? I can get by on Catalina so far I think, so, wondering if there are perks/benefits, and, if the drawbacks would outweigh them? (I have the guide on "how to", just wondering if its worthwhile really)

J

Hey guys,
Not sure where to put this, or even if its discussed. I think part 2 may be though haha
Anyway, I just had my machine running, bought some extra RAM and a new SSD for it, and, it finally died, kaput, gone. So, since I use it as a recording studio, i have been in dire need, and turned out, my step dad had a Mac Mini I could have, which is ace, but...

Mac Mini (late 2012)
Core i5
16Gb Ram

All good so far, but, its got the crappy 500Gb 5400rpm HDD, so, I am running it through a Wavlink docking station on the 1Tb SSD I got. Still all good, but, its a dual dock, and, when I add a second drive, it just wont boot, and obviously, I cant plug it in when its running. I have a second USB to Sata adaptor arriving, so, going to connect the OS drive to that, and,hopefully that solves the problem (Fullness of time, I will get the SSD into the machine, and avoid all this, but, I am a bit newvous about doing it myself, so, finding somewehere that does it.

Part 2, I was looking, and, hadnt thought about it, but, using Opencore, I can upgrade past Catalina I believe? Monterey would be great, thats what I was on before, but, with it being an actual Mac, do you think this is worth doing? I can get by on Catalina so far I think, so, wondering if there are perks/benefits, and, if the drawbacks would outweigh them? (I have the guide on "how to", just wondering if its worthwhile really)

J
swapping drives should be relatively straight forward

you could look into OCLP (opencore legacy patcher)
but you are probably better off staying at the latest version for the mac

swapping drives should be relatively straight forward

you could look into OCLP (opencore legacy patcher)
but you are probably better off staying at the latest version for the mac
Yeah I think I was looking at the OCLP thing, looks great, and a good guide too.

I didnt think about going most current. I remember in the past trying to run windows on older machines, and, it wasnt good haha. Monterey was awesome with Protools and the Steven Slate stuff I had so, be nice to get back to that if doable. I think it is, but, there is that whole "real world" experience I thought I would ask about :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back