i5 7200U
Graphics
HD 620, 1366x768
Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I have a Probook 4540s, that I've installed and ran 10.13.5 on.
When I booted the system today, I received numerous "ACPI error: parse/execution" errors.
And when I try to boot from a usb install drive, I get boot device not found errors

I made no changes before the last boot and shutdown, so I'm guessing the machine has given up
the ghost.

Before I purchase a new machine, is there anything else I should try/look at?

Thanks
Jim Ballantine

I have a Probook 4540s, that I've installed and ran 10.13.5 on.
When I booted the system today, I received numerous "ACPI error: parse/execution" errors.
And when I try to boot from a usb install drive, I get boot device not found errors

I made no changes before the last boot and shutdown, so I'm guessing the machine has given up
the ghost.

Before I purchase a new machine, is there anything else I should try/look at?

Thanks
Jim Ballantine

No "Problem Reporting" files attached.
Read FAQ, "Problem Reporting" again. Carefully. Attach all requested files/output.
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/faq-read-first-laptop-frequent-questions.164990/

No "Problem Reporting" files attached.
Read FAQ, "Problem Reporting" again. Carefully. Attach all requested files/output.
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/faq-read-first-laptop-frequent-questions.164990/

Yes, I realize that, but since the system had booted several times, and will not boot now, there are no
debug files that I can attach.
Other than a video of the boot failure there would be nothing to attach.

I wasn't looking for a specific fix, just a more general question

Jim

Yes, I realize that, but since the system had booted several times, and will not boot now, there are no
debug files that I can attach.
Other than a video of the boot failure there would be nothing to attach.

I wasn't looking for a specific fix, just a more general question

Jim

The FAQ is very specific on the required files when you cannot boot.
You should read it again. Carefully.

setup your bios as you did when you installed the system first time
Beween the last time I was able to boot the system, and the attempt today nothing has changed.
I have also not touched the BIOS since the first hack install several years aga.

Beween the last time I was able to boot the system, and the attempt today nothing has changed.
I have also not touched the BIOS since the first hack install several years aga.

You still failed to attach any PR files (as per FAQ, need EFI/Clover and verbose boot photo).

Maybe you corrupted your system volume... using any software on Windows to access HFS+J partitions? (eg. Paragon?).

You still failed to attach any PR files (as per FAQ, need EFI/Clover and verbose boot photo).

Maybe you corrupted your system volume... using any software on Windows to access HFS+J partitions? (eg. Paragon?).
This is only a macOS machine, nothing else. Since it doesn't boot, I can't get a copy of EFI/Clover but as far as I know
it wasn't changed since the last successful boot. I'll get a video of the boot process, the largest output are the
ACPI error: parse/execution failure errors, numerous.

This is only a macOS machine, nothing else. Since it doesn't boot, I can't get a copy of EFI/Clover

Of course you can.
At a minimum, EFI/Clover is on a HDD or SSD that can be removed and connected to another computer.
Or you could boot Linux from USB to access the EFI/Clover.
Or you could boot the macOS installer from USB and access the EFI/Clover.

Of course you can.
At a minimum, EFI/Clover is on a HDD or SSD that can be removed and connected to another computer.
Or you could boot Linux from USB to access the EFI/Clover.
Or you could boot the macOS installer from USB and access the EFI/Clover.

Sorry this response took so long, but I've been trying to determine if the pc had hardware issues or something else happened
to the drive. Since it wouldn't boot from the usb, but would boot from a non-uefi linux distribution, I concluded that it was
an equipment issue and started working on a new build.
Thanks for the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back