Contribute
Register

Acer nitro vn7-591g very strange problem during installation

Status
Not open for further replies.
So everything was fine until today. I am unable to boot my mac anymore :(. I shut it down yesterday. Today I was doing some stuff in windows. I installed hyper-v for wp apps development and the windows also did an update. I don't know if it is rellevant but that was the only changes that happend beetween boots. Then I tried running osx but I got an error:

View attachment 120818

Any idea what could it be?

EDIT: I run with -x flag and it stopped at "BUG in process suhelperd[153] over-released legacy external boost assertions (1 total , 1 external, 0 legacy-external

EDIT: I rebooted after booting with -x flag and it boot with no problems. WTF? Does this flag fix some thing?

So everything was fine until today. I am unable to boot my mac anymore :(. I shut it down yesterday. Today I was doing some stuff in windows. I installed hyper-v for wp apps development and the windows also did an update. I don't know if it is rellevant but that was the only changes that happend beetween boots. Then I tried running osx but I got an error:

View attachment 120818

Any idea what could it be?

EDIT: I run with -x flag and it stopped at "BUG in process suhelperd[153] over-released legacy external boost assertions (1 total , 1 external, 0 legacy-external

EDIT: I rebooted after booting with -x flag and it boot with no problems. WTF? Does this flag fix some thing?

Are you using software to allow writes to your HFS+J partitions in Windows?

Try to repair the disk in Disk Utility, maybe there is some corruption...

-x is safe mode. It excludes certain drivers and only loads the ones necessary. It is for short-term recovery tasks.

RehabMan and kubas121,

I also have the Acer Aspire VN7-591G (known as the Acer Aspire V Nitro gaming laptop). So far, following this thread (and other threads on this forum) I have been able to successfully install 10.10.2 Yosemite on this laptop using Clover EFI. Creating the USB installer AND dealing with all of the graphics issues was the biggest pain. Using this thread specifically (thanks to RehabMan's advice and kexts), graphics are now working perfectly. I installed Yosemite onto a fresh hard drive because I didn't want to have to mess around with the partitioning and screw up Windows. The system is very stable with no signs of crashing or anything like that. This is what is NOT working however (everything else is working):

• Power / battery management
  • Audio
  • Wireless
  • Function keys (to make screen brighter/dimmer)

I was wondering if anyone of you have suggestions on how to fix these issues? kubas121, I know you have this laptop, so do you have kexts that can help me finish this installation?

Thanks guys

RehabMan and kubas121,

I also have the Acer Aspire VN7-591G (known as the Acer Aspire V Nitro gaming laptop). So far, following this thread (and other threads on this forum) I have been able to successfully install 10.10.2 Yosemite on this laptop using Clover EFI. Creating the USB installer AND dealing with all of the graphics issues was the biggest pain. Using this thread specifically (thanks to RehabMan's advice and kexts), graphics are now working perfectly. I installed Yosemite onto a fresh hard drive because I didn't want to have to mess around with the partitioning and screw up Windows. The system is very stable with no signs of crashing or anything like that. This is what is NOT working however (everything else is working):

• Power / battery management
  • Audio
  • Wireless
  • Function keys (to make screen brighter/dimmer)

I was wondering if anyone of you have suggestions on how to fix these issues? kubas121, I know you have this laptop, so do you have kexts that can help me finish this installation?

Thanks guys

Power management: http://www.tonymacx86.com/yosemite-laptop-support/146870-guide-native-power-management-laptops.html

Battery status: http://www.tonymacx86.com/yosemite-...de-how-patch-dsdt-working-battery-status.html

Audio: Best result with patched AppleHDA. Google 'patch AppleHDA guide'. Search for suitable AppleHDA or patch it yourself. Apply appropriate DSDT patches.

DSDT patches for patched AppleHDA are covered in the DSDT/SSDT patching guide: http://www.tonymacx86.com/yosemite-laptop-support/152573-guide-patching-laptop-dsdt-ssdts.html

WiFi/Bluetooth: Depends on having compatible hardware. Use DPCIManager->PCI List to find out what you have. Compatible chipsets and the procedures for making them work are covered here: http://www.tonymacx86.com/network/104850-guide-airport-pcie-half-mini-v2.html

Backlight control: http://www.tonymacx86.com/yosemite-...ching-dsdt-ssdt-laptop-backlight-control.html

Wondering how everything is working out for you guys?

Would like to purchase: Acer Aspire V15 Nitro Black Edition VN7-591G-7857 15.6-Inch Full HD Laptop

Laptop has to HDD. 1. 256 Flash Storage and 2. 1TB 2.5 HDD

Having a working Hackintosh is necessary for purchasing this laptop. I have Macs but would like the possibility of taking a gaming laptop with Windows/Mac with me on the road for work.

Any advice? Maybe even a better gaming laptop that works well with Hackintosh?

Thanks!

Ares3k,

First off, this is an awesome laptop. For $1299, it was one of the best investments I have ever made. It offers the most bang for the buck when compared to other gaming laptops (16 GB of RAM for that price is rare. Most other gaming laptops I saw in stores only had 8 or 12 GB of RAM). Very simple design. In fact, doesn't really look like a high end gaming laptop, but that to me is an advantage (it doesn't draw much attention when you are sitting in a cafe, which is a good thing IMO) It has it where it counts.

I can confirm that Yosemite works and is VERY stable. There are a few issues I am having (see my previous post) but most of what I need works. I have onboard sound working via a patched AppleHDA but I use mainly high end USB interfaces anyways for audio work, so those work out of the box since they are USB. The reason I bought it was because I needed to edit some 4K video using Davinci Resolve under Windows (so it can take advantage of the Nvidia graphics) and play some games, but I am a hard core Mac user through and through, so to have a dual boot machine like this is the best of both worlds.

My version does not have the M.2 SSD card. Mine only came with the Seagate 1 TB SSHD, so I wouldn't know how to get Clover working with two drives. But as mentioned, dual boots perfectly with Win8.1 and Yosemite on the 1 TB drive.

thanks

RehabMan,

Thanks for the reply. When I go to your post on patching the DSDT/SSDT for laptop backlight control, the post says the following:

The patches are available here: https://github.com/RehabMan/Laptop-DSDT-Patch

pre-Haswell: "Brightness Fix (HD3000/HD4000)"
Haswell: "Brightness Fix (Haswell)"

I downloaded the zip file from GitHub, but can't find any reference to a Brightness Fix for Haswell. I really need to get backlight working because the screen is too dim (it's usable but very dim). Here is where I stand right now. I downloaded iasl binary, did an F4 at Clover boot screen and went into the ACPI folder in my ESP partition and can confirm that Clover created the .aml files. I ran the iasl command as your post indicates, and it created the decompiled .dsl files (please see pic). Not sure where to take it from here. I also downloaded MaciASL. I never patched a DSDT before and no matter how much I read, it sounds very confusing. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

dsdt.png

RehabMan,

Thanks for the reply. When I go to your post on patching the DSDT/SSDT for laptop backlight control, the post says the following:

The patches are available here: https://github.com/RehabMan/Laptop-DSDT-Patch

pre-Haswell: "Brightness Fix (HD3000/HD4000)"
Haswell: "Brightness Fix (Haswell)"

I downloaded the zip file from GitHub, but can't find any reference to a Brightness Fix for Haswell.

Read the README so you're using MaciASL as intended.

Please note that the brightness fix is only if you have Intel graphics...

Also, don't forget to fill out your profile...

Please provide complete details in your profile/signature
(Profile/Settings link in upper right corner of this site)

System: manufacturer/model + bootloader(Clover/Chameleon/Chimera)
CPU: detailed CPU model + motherboard chipset
Graphics: all graphics devices + laptop internal screen resolution

For example, typical Ivy laptop:
System: HP ProBook 4540s (Clover)
CPU: i5-3320m/HM76
Graphics: HD4000, 1366x768

Use CPU-Z on Windows to find CPU (Core iX-xxx) and motherboard chipset (HMxx), and graphics capabilities. For a laptop, these details are important and affect critical installation procedures.

RehabMan,

Re: my system info in my signature. I will update that. Thanks for letting me know.

So, I managed to get Brightness control working. I successfully patched my SSDT-6.aml file which included the section on my graphics card. Using MaciASL, I added your laptop fix repository and applied the patch. Question however. When I add your kext (ACPIBacklight.kext), the slider doesn't work. When I remove your kext, it works (so I am assuming that it is using AppleBacklight.kext at that point). When we add your kext, should we be removing the Apple kext?

Another question about the battery indicator. I simply downloaded your kext file, rebooted and it worked right away. I did not apply any DSDT patching. Is this normal? In other words, the post on fixing the battery indicator via DSDT patching is so detailed and complex, some of which goes over my head. Do you think I need to do anything further if the indicator works?

Thanks for all of your help. You really do some amazing stuff!!

RehabMan,

Re: my system info in my signature. I will update that. Thanks for letting me know.

So, I managed to get Brightness control working. I successfully patched my SSDT-6.aml file which included the section on my graphics card. Using MaciASL, I added your laptop fix repository and applied the patch. Question however. When I add your kext (ACPIBacklight.kext), the slider doesn't work. When I remove your kext, it works (so I am assuming that it is using AppleBacklight.kext at that point). When we add your kext, should we be removing the Apple kext?

You must have a dual GPU system (probably nvidia) and have not disabled the discrete card. This is mentioned in the guide. Disable your nvidia by calling _OFF from the _INI associated with your discrete card (probably in an SSDT).

Another question about the battery indicator. I simply downloaded your kext file, rebooted and it worked right away. I did not apply any DSDT patching. Is this normal? In other words, the post on fixing the battery indicator via DSDT patching is so detailed and complex, some of which goes over my head. Do you think I need to do anything further if the indicator works?

Some DSDTs do not need patches for battery. But it is also possible you installed a rollback AppleACPIPlatform.kext (from Snow Leopard), which negates the need for DSDT patches but causes issues with native power management.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back