Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Installation of Mac OS Snow Leopard 10.6.6 on a Laptop ACER Aspire 5810TZ

You can find here a description of what I did to install Snow Leopard on a Laptop ACER Aspire 5810TZ, in case it could help somebody in a similar situation.

I thank everybody who helped me out for this, with his awesome work: tonymacx86, kexts.com, projectosx.com, insanelymac.com, taranfx.com.

Specifications of ACER Laptop 5810 TZ
- processor : Mobile DualCore Intel Pentium SU4100 1.3 Ghz
- System Memory : 4027 MB (DDR3-1066 DDR3 SDRAM)
- North Bridge Chipset : Intel Cantiga GS45
- South Bridge Chipset : Intel 82801IEM ICH9M-E
- Graphics Controller Type : Intel GMA 4500MHD
- Audio Codec Name : Realtek ALC269
- Ethernet : Atheros AR8131 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller
- Wireless : Intel WiFi Link 1000 BGN)
- 4 USB ports : Intel 82801IEM ICH9M-E

The result is :
- Snow Leopard 10.6.6. 32bits : working
- keyboard : working even with the Command Mac Key
- touchpad Synaptics : working, with the scroll side
- 4 USB ports : working
- ethernet port and internet connection : working
- screen with native resolution 1366x768x32 : working
- internal Wireless : not working, use an external USB Wifi Adapter
- dual boot with Windows 7: working
- when on Snow Leopoard, can read Win7 partition, but cannot write, (I use a USB memory stick to transfert from SnowLeopard to Win7)
- USB Wifi Adapter TrendNet TEW 649UB: working (I used this adapter because TrendNet gives Mac OS 10.6.6 drivers)
- USB Memory Stick : working
- USB Mouse : working,
- WebCam : I don't use it, so not tested,
- Audio : working, with the keys Fn+Up and Fn+Down to change the volume,
- Able to download upgrades from Apple Website,
- Ios XCode SDK for Iphone fully working,
- It is 2 weeks now that I am using everyday Snow Leopard, with different applications and web development : not a single crash, never ever, fantastic !

Must have before install:
- iBoot downloaded and burned on a bootable DVD, (http://www.tonymacx86.com)
- Apple Snow Leopard DVD Retail 10.6.3 : (cost around $40)
- Downloaded Update to Snow Leopard 10.6.6 : MacOSXUpdCombo10.6.6.dmg : http://support.apple.com/kb/dl1349
- Downloaded MultiBeast : http://www.tonymacx86.com
- Official Bootable Windows 7 Installation DVD, search on google
- Some extra MAC OS drivers in KEXT format
- Driver for USB : IOUSBFamily_USB3_Anv.zip : http://rapidshare.com/#!download|899tl4 ... V.zip|1105
- Driver for display : AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.kext.zip : http://cid-8b65993ef55cf014.office.live ... zip?ccsf=1
- Driver for TrendNet TEW 649UB : http://www.trendnet.com/downloads/list_ ... PE_ID=1353

Good to have before install
- considering we have to format the hard drive in GUID Apple Format, all data on the HD will be lost. So it is better to have an extra SATA 2.5" HD, or at least make a backup. I bought this one
http://ncix.com/products/?sku=35410&vpn ... re=Seagate
Don't buy a HD with the GForce chip, they are said to be not compatible with Mac OS.

Here is a summary of the steps, the details can be found in the Tonymacx86's guides.
1 - install the new HD, even not formatted, inside the Laptop
2 - boot on iBoot bootable DVD
3 - when on dual boot screen, eject the iBoot DVD and insert Snow Leopard DVD,
4 - press F5, select Snow Leopard DVD press ENTER
5 - In DiskUtility format the HD in GUID Format, and create at least two partitions : one for Mac (will the primary and active) one for Win 7
6 - install Snow Leopard, at the end it will restart,
7 - boot on Win7 DVD and install Win7, when finished, all features of the laptop should be working under Win7: USB, and network.
8 – now you can copy with Win7 on Win7 partition the files necessary for Snow Leopard: Upgrade 10.6.6, MultiBeast, Drivers, etc (they will be readable under Snow Leopard)
9 - restart and boot on iBoot DVD, on Dual boot select Snow Leopard,
10 - you should be able to access in readonly the Win7 Partition, from Snow Leopard. Copy the files to the Snow Leopard partition.
11 - install Upgrade 10.6.6, don’t restart,
12 - install MultiBeast: EasyInstall (No DSDT), KextHelper Utility, ShowAllFiles Utility, and don’t worry about the other drivers, do not restart yet
13 - here is a tricky part: the drivers from MultiBeast did not work for me. So I found a way to extract the drivers from the iBoot DVD which work good. Execute the application ShowAllFiles to see the hidden files. Click on iBoot DVD/Extra/Preboot.dmg/Extra. Inside, copy the file Extensions.mkext from this DVD to /Extra to the SnowLeopard partition. Then open this Extensions.mkext with KextHelper Utility. It will extract the content to a directory. Copy the result of this new directory inside /Extra. Rename it /Extra/Extensions. Run again KextHelper Utility so it can set permission.
14 - in /Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist add the lines
<key>Graphics Mode</key>
<string>1366x768x32</string>
<key>Instant Menu</key>
<string>Yes</string>
15 - eject iBoot DVD, restart,
16 - you should be able to restart properly on Snow Leopard partition,
17 - install the other drivers IOUSBFamily_USB3_Anv, AppleIntelGMAX3100FB in /Extra/Extensions, rather than /System/Library/Extensions (see note below)
18 - install the USB Wireless adapter and its driver.

Here are some tips I found :
• Drivers on MacOs are located in /Extra/Extensions and /System/Library/Extensions
• When testing a new driver, it is a good idea to place it in /Extra/Extensions, because if this driver creates a system panic, you will be able to boot again with the iBoot DVD. Instead if you place it in /System/Library/Extensions and then got a system panic at boot time, the only solution is to install Snow Leopard again all over again.
• We have to be cautious of doing a clean shutdown of Mac OS so that the syncing of the disk are well done. Otherwise the Snow Leopard partition might get errors, that might not be repaired. In this case we have to reinstall Snow Leopard from scratch.
• In case you have to install again Snow Leopard, you will be able to keep the Win7 install intact, Do this, with Disk Utility, delete the Snow Leopard partition, and create it again.
• It would be nice to be able to write on the Win7 partition, from Snow Leopard. But some forum says that the existing solutions are buggy, and can lead to not be able start Win7 again. So I dropped it, and use a USB Stick to transfert to Win7
• If Snow Leopard goes into sleep, it cannot be awaken. So I configured it to never sleep in the System Preferences

Here is are the problem I had:
• First I tried different versions of : did not work,
• USB : I had the error message: EHCI unable to table control of BIOS,
it comes from the BIOS configuration USB:Legacy, on this Laptop it is not possible to change this BIOS parameter. So the only way is to install the IOUSBFamily_USB3_Anv driver
- I could not find the driver for the display chip GMA 4500, but this one AppleIntelGMAX3100FB is the closest to what we can get. At least I have been able to change the 1024x768 resolution, and get the native resolution of the screen 1366x768

This Snow Leopard solution cost me less that $200: (Hard Drive, Snow Leopard DVD, USB Wireless Adapter), for a 15,3" screen laptop Dual Boot Win7 / Snow Leopard 10.6.6.

For everybody who has this very laptop, ACER Aspire 5810TZ, Snow Leopard is working very fine, and it is worth trying.

Update for 10.6.7

The update to 10.6.7 has been made with the regular "Software Update ..." menu item in the root Mac Menu on the top left of the screen.

Once installed, the reboot went good, no system panic, no crash, no black or blue screen.
Could login in Mac Os 10.6.7, but with 2 well known problems :

1 - Problem 1 : No more USB ports:
at boot time again the message :
EHCI controller unable to take control from BIOS

it appears that the driver IOUSBFamily_USB3_Anv.zip that solved this problem,
has a lower release (4.1.7) than the release of the official IOUSBFamily (4.1.8) of the Mac os 10.6.7.
So at boot time it is replaced by the Mac os driver.

The solution was to changed manually the release number to 4.1.9 in the info.plist
in 2 files, so that it wont be replaced the Mac Os 10.6.7 driver :
/Extra/Extensions/IOUSBFamily.kext/Contents/info.plist
/Extra/Extensions/IOUSBFamily.kext/Contents/Plugins/AppleUSBEHCI.kext/Contents/info.plist

Run "Kext Utility.app" to update the /Extra/Extensions/Extensions.mkext file
reboot

2 - Problem 2: Screen resolution to 1024x768:

The driver AppleIntelGMAX3100FB doesnot work anymore, and Mac os does not support the GMA4500MHD (or GMA 4500).

So I used the "Deviato's Solution" :
http://deviato.wordpress.com/2010/02/24 ... version-2/

Download his file ChameleonMR2 file
http://www.multiupload.com/DQ49G457JL

then
sudo cp boot /

check that /Extra/Extensions/com.apple.Boot.plist
contains
<key>Graphics Mode</key>
<string>1366x768x32</string>

Remove the AppleIntelGMAX3100FB driver from /Extra/Extensions
Run "Kext Utility.app" to update the /Extra/Extensions/Extensions.mkext file