Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hey guys, I had successfully got OSX Snow Leopard running on my i5 Acer Aspire 5745, everything was working except for the sound and I kept getting a pop-up that an update was available. I tried running the 10.6.4 update but at about 95% it stopped installing and a screen popped up that said "you must restart your computer." Now if I try to boot into OSX it gives me that "you must restart your computer" error, if I try to boot verbose it crashes shortly after the black screen pops up and the computer restarts.

Does anyone know how to fix this? Preferably without having to reinstall OSX(would be my 17th time).

Thanks in advance!

Hi there. What method did you use to install OSX in your laptop?
Did you try booting with -s option then removing all AppleIntelHDG* in S/L/E ?

I used the iBoot-Supported + MultiBeast method. All I tried doing was updating to 10.6.4 but an error popped up about 90% of the way through the installation and said "You must restart your computer"

I have now reformatted again and have 10.6.3 running again but the sound still doesnt work and Im too afraid to try installing the 10.6.4 update again.

Do I have to boot off the iBoot supported disc before running the combo update?(right now im booting off the hard drive)

I have the same model as you, but mine has an i3 cpu. I'm almost 100% sure the problem is with the video kexts. Still no luck for us with Intel HD Graphics chipset.
I'm runningosx with the 10.6.4 update, but had to remove all AppleIntelHDGraphics kext.

As for audio, I'm still waiting for a solution. I did a 10.5.x install and had audio, but it only played like for 5 seconds and then no audio.

I've been thinking of selling my laptop and getting a more compatible one.
Let's keep our fingers crossed for a solution.
Cheers.

Ya, that's the same problem I had with the audio at first when I installed VoodooHDA I would have audio for about 5 seconds and then it would start to crackle and stop all together. Now I don't have any audio, my speakers just make a constant fuzzy noise.

I didn't realize I could get the 10.6.4 update running by deleting those kexts so thanks for that tip!

Please let me know if you find a solution for the video or audio problems and I will do the same! This is driving me crazy! I would just sell this laptop and get a different one that is known to be compatible but I literally just got this laptop like last month so I really wanna figure it out!

I'm thinking the same buddy, but I have a hunch we'll have our laptops running fine with the 10.6.5 update. And since they are getting HD Graphics in 10.6.4 it looks promising, don't you think?

As for audio solution, I'm thinking on getting a USB solution, sound blaster x-fi, some say it works oob, and to be honest, I've always loved the crisp sound of sound blaster products.

Cheers.

Ya, I'm crossing my fingers that the 10.6.5 update will solve all our problems!

How many Oses do you have in your machine? I have Win7, SL, and Linux(OpenSUSE).

iphoneblogr said:
Ya, I'm crossing my fingers that the 10.6.5 update will solve all our problems!
From everything I've read, 10.6.5 will NOT fix the Intel integrated graphics controller issue. It will not work until Apple ships a computer that only uses that controller.

I am running Windows 7 and OSX 10.6.3, that brings up another question, do you ever get a BSOD when restarting in Windows 7? Sometimes when I restart from Winodws 7 I get a blue screen that says "System_Service_Exception" and then it counts down and my computer restarts. That never used to happen before I installed OSX so I am guessing that is what is causing it. Any ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back