Contribute
Register

Accidentally upgrade from 10.8.2 to 10.8.5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey friends.

I accidentally upgraded to 10.8.5 from 10.8.2 (no combo update etc). Now I won't get into the system and the classical "stop sign above apple logo" is showing.

20100515-tgq8f6s9tbiw7fhwk6r7wqjiqh.jpg

I also managed to snap a photo of the verbose start:
photo.jpg

Unfortunately I don't have any recent backups, so that's no options.

Any leads on how I can proceed to get a working computer again? Any suggestions on workflow? Anything is appreciated.

Hey friends.

I accidentally upgraded to 10.8.5 from 10.8.2 (no combo update etc). Now I won't get into the system and the classical "stop sign above apple logo" is showing.

View attachment 67396

I also managed to snap a photo of the verbose start:
View attachment 67397

Unfortunately I don't have any recent backups, so that's no options.

Any leads on how I can proceed to get a working computer again? Any suggestions on workflow? Anything is appreciated.

You might try getting rid of SteerMouse, whatever that is...

Yes. I know. How can I get rid of it? Unfortunately I won't be able to get a physical hold of the HDD. Is there any file manager tool that can be loaded via USB?

I wonder if you could boot to your original UniBeast USB drive and download the Combo Updater and then complete the upgrade?
It looks like you have a Japanese language version, did you get the Japanese version?

edit: I got confused, only SteerMouse has the .jp prefix, not the OS.

Yes. I know. How can I get rid of it? Unfortunately I won't be able to get a physical hold of the HDD. Is there any file manager tool that can be loaded via USB?

Boot via your Unibeast USB into the OS X installer. From there, choose Utilities -> Terminal from the menu bar. Remove the offending kext in Terminal. Boot with "-f" after it is removed.

A japanese version of SteerMouse? Perhaps. I think it changes its language depending on location. It's usually english for me.

I'm gonna try to remove the kext. Thanks for the help, getting back if it won't work :)

Now I removed the kext but no luck.

Bob_The_Tomato: How do I perform a combo update via my UniBeast USB? Have tried to google it but haven't found an answer.

Bob_The_Tomato: How do I perform a combo update via my UniBeast USB? Have tried to google it but haven't found an answer.

You can't. The combo update can only be applied with a working system.

I've managed to get into an old backup. The structure looks like this.

Disk 1: The installations with the 10.8.5 update, doesn't start.
Disk 2: An old backup that I can log onto. Disk 1 visible and browsable through the file system.

Can I do something to make disk 1 happy?

I've managed to get into an old backup. The structure looks like this.

Disk 1: The installations with the 10.8.5 update, doesn't start.
Disk 2: An old backup that I can log onto. Disk 1 visible and browsable through the file system.

Can I do something to make disk 1 happy?

It depends on what is wrong... Boot it with "-v" so you know what is happening.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back