CPU
i5-3570K
Graphics
GTX 650 Ti SSC
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I'm wondering if anyone else has come across this, my i5 3570k was showing as the correct 3.4GHz (as it was in HWmonitor), and now all of a sudden is seen as 3.39GHz. When th eMultiplier was at 16x, is read as 1.59GHz. I set the CPU to 3.6GHz in the BIOS to see if it changed anything, and now it shows as 3.43GHz in About this Mac, but the multipliers are now hitting the correct speeds - 16x shows as 1.60 and 18x as 1.80.

I know this is only a tiny variation - but it's really odd that it would just start like that. Anyone have any experience with this? Everything is working perfectly, but the fact that it started so suddenly is bugging me.

Thanks

CPU - i5 3570k

MoBo - Z77-DS3H

Graphics - HD4000

Hard drive - Samsung 830 SSD

RAM - GSKILL 8GB

Yeah, in the BIOS it's never constant, but it should be in About This Mac shouldn't it?

I don't think it's particularly anything to worry about, but I'm wondering what changed. On Thursday it reported 3.4GHz, and then suddenly it was 3.39GHz and the multipliers were showing 0.01 difference in speed. As I said, I then changed the clock speed to 3.6GHZ and About This Mac now reports at 3.43GHz - but the multipliers in HWmonitor are correct.

I have searched all over and found posts partly related, but it seems to be people who never had the correct CPU speed listed in the first place - so people were just telling them to edit the smbios.plist.

I built my machine on the 26th December, and so far have had no problems at all with it (apart from this which I will just consider a quirk) - No KP, Hangs, crashes... we'll see if that continues when I get my dedicated graphics card and WiFi card lol

Not sure what's going on, but if anyone could shed any light on it, i'd really appreciate it - it's bugging me!

Thanks

Yeah, in the BIOS it's never constant, but it should be in About This Mac shouldn't it?

I don't think it's particularly anything to worry about, but I'm wondering what changed. On Thursday it reported 3.4GHz, and then suddenly it was 3.39GHz and the multipliers were showing 0.01 difference in speed. As I said, I then changed the clock speed to 3.6GHZ and About This Mac now reports at 3.43GHz - but the multipliers in HWmonitor are correct.

I have searched all over and found posts partly related, but it seems to be people who never had the correct CPU speed listed in the first place - so people were just telling them to edit the smbios.plist.

I built my machine on the 26th December, and so far have had no problems at all with it (apart from this which I will just consider a quirk) - No KP, Hangs, crashes... we'll see if that continues when I get my dedicated graphics card and WiFi card lol

Not sure what's going on, but if anyone could shed any light on it, i'd really appreciate it - it's bugging me!

Thanks

Disable EIST in CPU features. I have the same CPU over clocked at 4.2 and it reads correctly in About This Mac after disabling EIST Function. After Disabling, it will show your highest turbo state in About This Mac.

Thanks for the Reply - does doesn't disabling EIST mean that ML won't throttle down to 1.6GHz?

No it does not. My CPU throttles fine. I believe OSX is handling this now in some way. I can't find the original post. Try it and reply with your CPU states and what About This Mac is showing.

37945-after-load-test-hwm.png

Edit: Also if you want to over clock your CPU, all you have to do is change the clock speed to 42. Don't change anything else. I did not change the voltages. Set your EIST to disabled and you should be good to go.

Last edited by a moderator:
Awesome! Thanks very much hackintoshx86!! Seems to have worked!

I'm not overclocking to 4.2GHz just yet as I have stock cooler - So just went to 3.6 just because I could (and wouldn't increase temps much). About This Mac is showing as 3.63GHZ, but I'm guessing overclocking isn't always exact round numbers??

Anyway, as requested - here is the screenshot

Screen Shot 2013-01-05 at 14.36.50.jpg

Sorry - Not sure how to make that bigger!

Thanks Again!!

P.S. Will disabling EIST do anything in windows?

Awesome! Thanks very much hackintoshx86!! Seems to have worked!

I'm not overclocking to 4.2GHz just yet as I have stock cooler - So just went to 3.6 just because I could (and wouldn't increase temps much). About This Mac is showing as 3.63GHZ, but I'm guessing overclocking isn't always exact round numbers??

Anyway, as requested - here is the screenshot

View attachment 42909

Sorry - Not sure how to make that bigger!

Thanks Again!!

P.S. Will disabling EIST do anything in windows?

Leave the clock speed on stock settings. Turbo states will work up to 3.8GHZ on stock. Why are you changing it to 3.6GHZ? This would throttle your CPU down from stock settings? After reverting back to stock clock and JUST the EIST disabled "About this Mac" will show a proper 3.8GHZ, which is what your CPU is capable of on stock settings. My stock and over clock show only round numbers in "About this Mac" with these settings.

http://ark.intel.com/products/65520/Intel-Core-i5-3570K-Processor-6M-Cache-up-to-3_80-GHz

I don't use Windows so I can not comment.

Command for Screen Shots of objects "Shift-Command-4 then SpaceBar" also "^ to Edit your shot"

Interesting - I reverted back to stock and left just the EIST disabled and got this:

Screen Shot 2013-01-05 at 18.24.07.jpg weird.

I changed the clock speed to 3.6 from 3.4 just because I was curious about whether I'd notice anything or not. I didn't have any problems and no noticeable temp increase, so left it.

Edit: Just went into the BIOS again, and it reports Max Turbo speed of 3834 - Which would be the 3.83GHz reported in About This Mac. Seems to be something to do with how the BIOS is reporting the speed to OSX(?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back