CPU
i7-9700K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hello Everyone..... I'm new to the forum and to the Hack community.

I'm currently running with a Mac Tower with PPC processors and I'm in need of a new machine. This one runs outstanding but I need to keep up with current tech as a freelance Art Director. So I use a LOT of Adobe products and do music production. Not too much video editing.

I got introduced to the hack when i was looking on CL for a used Intel based Mac. Found an ad that said he could build a system that ran OS X. I called and talked to this guy and thought... heck I can do this. I've built one computer before, but it was a long while ago. It's a PC and still running strong recording my band.

So I'm wanting to take the plunge and build a HackPro. Only reason is because I think it will be a rewarding experience and because money is always a concern. What I'm seeing from the Hack community is absolutely impressive. All of you that have build machines and have shared your knowledge and experience are VERY generous. So even before I ask for advice I want to thank you.

I want to run Lion and the latest Adobe software. I don't need firewire.
Here is the list of hardware I'm considering:

Mobo: GIGABYTE GA-Z68MX-UD2H-B3
CPU: Intel Core i7-2600K
GPU: GIGABYTE ATI Radeon HD6870 1GB DDR5 2DVI/HDMI/2x
RAM (may only get 8 GB): Corsair Vengeance Blue 16 GB DDR3 SDRAM Dual Channel Memory Kit CMZ16GX3M4A1600?C9B
HD0 (for OS and Apps): OCZ Technology 60 GB Vertex Series SATA II Solid State Drive
HD1 (file storage, Adobe scratch disk): Samsung 1 TB Spinpoint 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA
BURNER: LG CD/DVD Burner Model GH22NS70
CPU COOLER: Corsair Cooling Hydro Series H50 All in One High-performanc?e CPU Cooler CWCH50-1
P/S: Antec CP-850 850 Watt CPX Power Supply Unit
CASE: Antec Performance One P183 V3 Case

I'm a noob when it comes to BIOS and the installation process. I've read the info here on MultiBeast, UniBeast, etc. and it seems pretty straight forward.

I've also been reading about updating BIOS on some of the GIGABYTE boards... think I will need the thing in front of me to figure out how to do that if necessary.

I'm very mechanical and quick to learn, so I suppose I'm looking for some feedback on my hardware list first and go from there.

I need a stable and reliable machine for my business. I understand I will have to tweak on this build to get it to run stable at first, but in the end I'm really hoping for a machine that runs like a champ for a long time.

Thanks for reading and your input!

I built a similar one for a friend using the same mobo, an i5-2400 and a 6670 graphic card to run FCP and he is very happy with it, after a few minor tweaks it has been rock solid.

If you are buying a new board, it probably has pretty new BIOS and you don't have to update as long as there is a DSDT for the BIOS version you end up having. Follow one of the guides and if you run into an issue, just post it here and one of us will probably be able to help you out.

Two hints:

make sure you connect your HDD and DVD to SATA 3 GB/s ports for install

and you will likely need to use GraphicsEnabler=NO to get into the installer...

Welcome to the tonymacx86 Forum. As a 25+ year Mac user, I know where you're coming from with your requirements for running Adobe applications.

In my opinion, your build will be a good one for your requirements. However, I recommend you invest in an 120GB SSD, like the OCZ Vertex 3. Your Adobe suite will push the 60GB SSD limits considering the *nix underpinnings of OS X. My first build had a 60GB SSD (Vertex 2), but I didn't put any demanding apps on that build. However, after researching and reading about SSD performance over the past year, I bought an OCZ Vertex 3 120GB SSD for my Z68 system as I get into applications like the Adobe suite.

My signature block has links to the tonymacx86 installation guides. Have fun!

SnapMan said:
I built a similar one for a friend using the same mobo, an i5-2400 and a 6670 graphic card to run FCP and he is very happy with it, after a few minor tweaks it has been rock solid.

If you are buying a new board, it probably has pretty new BIOS and you don't have to update as long as there is a DSDT for the BIOS version you end up having. Follow one of the guides and if you run into an issue, just post it here and one of us will probably be able to help you out.

Two hints:

make sure you connect your HDD and DVD to SATA 3 GB/s ports for install

and you will likely need to use GraphicsEnabler=NO to get into the installer...

Excellent to hear about the rock solidness. :) Thanks for the hints. I'm sure they will make more sense when i have the components in front of me.

Stork said:
Welcome to the tonymacx86 Forum. As a 25+ year Mac user, I know where you're coming from with your requirements for running Adobe applications.

I've also been a Mac user for about 20 years now... I'll never use another OS. I run a lot of photoshop, so speed is paramount as I get frustrated having to wait on progress bars and slow response when switching tools, moving the layout, etc. haha.

Stork said:
In my opinion, your build will be a good one for your requirements. However, I recommend you invest in an 120GB SSD, like the OCZ Vertex 3. Your Adobe suite will push the 60GB SSD limits considering the *nix underpinnings of OS X.

This is good advice as I was considering this. I'm looking forward to seeing the performance enhancements of the apps and system using the SSD.

Stork said:
My signature block has links to the tonymacx86 installation guides. Have fun!

Your i7 build is the one I was studying in detail. I also found a great link for another build that is very similar. I will be going back through your thread when I move along with the build. I will also be referencing the following like I mentioned here:

http://nofilmschool.com/2011/07/update-build-hackintosh-latest-intel-sandy/

If you check out this link, let me know what you think about the tutorial there... It seems very well put together. You may even be familiar with it already.

Keep the input coming, and thank you!

*bump*

Sorry for the bump. Seems this forum is very busy. That's a good thing.

Wondering if anyone has seen or checked out that link I posted in my last reply?

Also. I see gigabyte mobos are very popular for these builds, but I'm one of those product review readers and I see a decent amount of RMA requests for these. Is this true with most mobos or is gigabyte more apt to have issues?

Is there an equivalent mobo to the one I listed for my potential build any of you experienced builders have better luck with?

I also don't see many sandy bridge builds. Is there a reason SB is a good choice or should I be looking at something else for the CPU based on what I posted as my primary needs for this machine to do? I want to install Lion straight up just to clarify my OS.

Thanks!

The post is from July, things move fast and most people are building using Sandy Bridge, your other options are LGA 755 and 1156 both of which are slowly vanishing from NewEgg. I wouldn't bother with them, as you want to future proof you build as much as possible.

I am not aware of a higher rate of GB returns than any other manufacturer, one must remember that as they are used the most frequently, more will be sent back....some for defects and some due to faulty troubleshooting by the builder. In any case NewEgg at least will 1 day you a replacement, if you need it, with a return RMA # without any hassle (at least in my case)... for me ended up bad RAM, mobo was fine.

So I've begun the build... This is only my second computer build and the mobo wiring from the PCU is stressing me out.

I have an Antec p183 case and CP-850 PCU.
I have a SSD 120gb SATA III and an HDD 1tb SATA II drive.
Mobo is z68x-ud3h-b3
i7 2600 CPU.

Couple of questions so far if someone could please assist me:

1. From what I've read, my understanding is that the front panel audio is a PIA to get working without some serious customization.... not a big deal to me, so can I just leave those wires unplugged?

2. The SSD and HDD are SATA III and SATA II respectively.
Do I have to use SATA II for my SSD or can I use the SATA III plug on the mobo for the SSD and the SATA II plug for the HDD? (btw - I read that I should only hook up the system HD while getting everything running and then add the second internal, but still want to know what port on the mobo to use for each HD)

3. Can someone just take a look at the wires I have plugged into the mobo so far and tell me if I've got them correct? (sorry for the pic quality)

4. I installed the HDs in the bottom holder. Is this ideal or should I mount them in the middle holder for better cooling? See pic.

5. I've read that I should only install 4gb of RAM when installing os x Lion and then once I get things running to put in the rest. I have a 16gb kit with 4x4gb modules. Can I only install one of those or does the RAM on this mobo only work in pairs?

Thank you everyone that gives me any insight. It's very appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_7560.jpg
    IMG_7560.jpg
    284.4 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_2033.jpg
    IMG_2033.jpg
    282.4 KB · Views: 121
rocco_77 said:
1. From what I've read, my understanding is that the front panel audio is a PIA to get working without some serious customization.... not a big deal to me, so can I just leave those wires unplugged?
Urban legend. Mine works as it should.

2. The SSD and HDD are SATA III and SATA II respectively.
Do I have to use SATA II for my SSD or can I use the SATA III plug on the mobo for the SSD and the SATA II plug for the HDD? (btw - I read that I should only hook up the system HD while getting everything running and then add the second internal, but still want to know what port on the mobo to use for each HD)
The Gigabyte Z68 boards have SATA III in the SATA0/1 positions. The remainder are SATA II. I have my SATA III SSD in the SATA0 connector. My DVD drive is the SATA2 connection (first of the SATA II connections). I have a 1TB SATA II drive in the SATA3 connection. The SATA III SATA1 connection is empty at the moment.

I've triple boot in my system. Separate drives are nice, but with today's HDD prices, a lot of folks have one drive partitioned to support multiple OS. Going Bald's guide on setting up multiple operating systems is very instructive. However, I've installed Lion on the SDD as the only OS on the SSD. Win7 is on another drive and was installed with only the DVD and that drive connected at the time of the Windows installation.

3. Can someone just take a look at the wires I have plugged into the mobo so far and tell me if I've got them correct? (sorry for the pic quality)
My previous answer above and your mobo manual should give enough insight on how to connect your drives.

4. I installed the HDs in the bottom holder. Is this ideal or should I mount them in the middle holder for better cooling? See pic.
Pass. Read the manual.

5. I've read that I should only install 4gb of RAM when installing os x Lion and then once I get things running to put in the rest. I have a 16gb kit with 4x4gb modules. Can I only install one of those or does the RAM on this mobo only work in pairs?

Greater than 4GB use to be a problem. I installed Lion with 8GB. This was a problem with Snow Leopard installations. So, if you have another Mac system, you can prepare the Lion install USB thumb drive on the SL Mac, then install Lion on the Hack with full memory. However, if you have to install SL first, then only use 4GB. Or try installing SL with max memory - the latest iBoot & MultiBeast for Lion may work out. :thumbup:

Thanks Stork!

AUDIO CONNECTION:
So on the front panel audio did you connect the HD audio or the AC-97(or whatever that other one is) to the mobo?

RAM:
Ok... my plan was to just install Lion straight out so I'll put in the second 4gb module and install with 8 and then add the other 2 for a total of 16gb.

HDs:
So if I understand you correctly, you have your SSD drive in SATA III (0 position)
Your DVD drive in SATA II (2 position)
Your second HD in SATA II (3 position)

I'm not planning on a dual system workstation at this time... just want to get Lion running.

Another question I had about my case and the case fans.... I've read the manuals for the case, the mobo and the PCU but really don't get any information regarding fans.

My case has 2 fans built in and have speed control switches on the case for low, medium and high.

But the power connections for the fans are the molex connections. Therefore I can't connect them to the mobo headers but instead I'm thinking I need to connect them straight to the PCU.

Does that sound like the best solution or should I adapt the power connections for the fans to plug into the mobo and let the system control fan speed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back