i7-3770
Graphics
RX 590
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hello all--

I'm running a Hackint0sh with a Z77-UD5H, and have noticed some minor problems with upload speeds. They started becoming more apparent, oddly enough, when I switched over to Google Fiber for my ISP. I'm on their free plan which is only 5MB/s DL and 1MB/s upload, but it's fast enough for my current needs. Before that I had Comcast 30MB/s.

Here's where it gets weird: There are certain websites that don't allow me to upload to them at all anymore past a certain (very small) filesize. I can't attach anything over a handful of kB to Gmail messages, or upload to Google Drive. Even uploading tiny files that DO work takes about 30 seconds to a minute. If I go over even a full megabyte, it will try to upload and then just freeze, and after a while it times out and cancels the upload. The same thing happens when trying to upload to Facebook. This has made it virtually impossible to get even halfway decent photos passed around anywhere, which is a problem since I'm an avid photographer. And don't even talk to me about uploading videos.

HOWEVER. I can sometimes have success uploading/attaching with Yahoo! email and Dropbox.

Lately it seems like the problem has gotten worse. But still, certain forums and stuff that I post on regularly can handle uploads of fairly large picture files and even videos without a hiccup. Furthermore, if I go to a network speed benchmarking website, it reports that I'm at a full 5MB/s download speed, and full 1MB/s upload speed. I should also note that I've never had trouble with downloads, ever.

I'm baffled. At first I thought it was an ISP problem. I even spent some time on the phone with Google Fiber's customer support, to no avail. But then I noticed that my roommates (they both have Macbook Airs) don't have any internet problems whatsoever.

Any ideas on how to proceed from here?

Here's some additional info in case it's related:

-OS: Yosemite (forgot which version, not at home to check right now), although I also had the same problem while still running Mavericks.
-Internet type: hard line ethernet cable. I don't have a wifi card in my desktop since it doesn't move anyway and ethernet has been more reliable (at least until this problem started... haha)

Bump.

Sorry to do that, but do people really have no idea what this could be?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back