1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
  2. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I was immediately disappointed to discover that Mojave's Messages now only does iPhone text messaging. It no longer supports Jabber client use for other chat servers. This must have happened/been decided upon when AOL closed there chat services.

So, off I went in search of a new Jabber compatible client. I had tried Adium in the past, but that's now unsupported (or so I see from the Internet search for Jabber client applications).

Then I found Sparks which is by the OpenFire Jabber compatible server group. Nice GUI and a lot of Preference choices/settings. So, I recommend it for Mojave use.

Download > http://www.igniterealtime.org/projects/spark/index.jsp

Guide > https://discourse.igniterealtime.org/t/spark-user-guide-revised/41731

Update: I'm now using Trillian. Thanks to @jed852 for calling Trillian to my attention. I forgot I used Trillian back in 2014; I like it and bought it. However, once Messages came along, I used it, and I forgot I "owned" Trillian. So, forget Sparks, use Trillian.

Last edited:
I was immediately disappointed to discover that Mojave's Messages now only does iPhone text messaging. It no longer supports Jabber client use for other chat servers. This must have happened/been decided upon when AOL closed there chat services.

So, off I went in search of a new Jabber compatible client. I had tried Adium in the past, but that's now unsupported (or so I see from the Internet search for Jabber client applications).

Then I found Sparks which is by the OpenFire Jabber compatible server group. Nice GUI and a lot of Preference choices/settings. So, I recommend it for Mojave use.

Download > http://www.igniterealtime.org/projects/spark/index.jsp

Guide > https://discourse.igniterealtime.org/t/spark-user-guide-revised/41731

Hi there mr Stork, I too am very disappointed with the Jabber functionality being removed from messages :/ however I find the Spark client to be dreadfully horrible.

May I suggest Trillian, its a beautiful native app that can be downloaded from the macApp store, it is simply put, great, the only drawback I that you need to create a "Trillian" account to access the client, but once logged in you can link a Jabber/XMPP account and even Facebook Messenger. It support system wide notifications, quick replies and even UTF-8 Emojis.

The UI is also very reminiscent of the native macOS messages app.

It has some minor bugs, but I have emailed the developer and they say an update is coming to fix them.

You should try it out for yourself and see :) Hope you like it.

Hi there mr Stork, I too am very disappointed with the Jabber functionality being removed from messages :/ however I find the Spark client to be dreadfully horrible.

May I suggest Trillian, its a beautiful native app that can be downloaded from the macApp store, it is simply put, great, the only drawback I that you need to create a "Trillian" account to access the client, but once logged in you can link a Jabber/XMPP account and even Facebook Messenger. It support system wide notifications, quick replies and even UTF-8 Emojis.

The UI is also very reminiscent of the native macOS messages app.

It has some minor bugs, but I have emailed the developer and they say an update is coming to fix them.

You should try it out for yourself and see :) Hope you like it.
Thank you for the suggestion. I tried Trillian years ago, but some how it slipped through my research. I'm using it now for Mojave. You're right, it does have some bugs, like not making a "sound" when I send a message.

Trillian is free for downloading in the Mac App Store.

Let us know when Trillian updates. TIA. :thumbup:

Update: So far, Trillian is winning the jabber client battle. I like the similar appearance to HS Messages.

Do you still need Trillian account to using other (jabber, etc.) services?

Do you still need Trillian account to using other (jabber, etc.) services?
I don't know as I bought Trillian back when Moses was a child.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back