Graphics
GTX 680
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
Apologies if this isn't the right thread to be talking about this, but after successfully setting up my first hackintosh using my old gaming rig and a secondary drive, I've got the bug and want to build a dedicated one.

Using the build guides as a template I want to build a miniITX system, and when looking for a suitable case it struck me.. I'd love to put a beastly system inside an old POS case like the 486 DX case I had when I was a kid.

Has anyone done this? Were you successful? War story? Is mounting a modern mobo in an old case a nightmare? Am I better off aborting this and just opting for a new case and perhaps some beige spray paint? :)

cheers

Apologies if this isn't the right thread to be talking about this, but after successfully setting up my first hackintosh using my old gaming rig and a secondary drive, I've got the bug and want to build a dedicated one.

Using the build guides as a template I want to build a miniITX system, and when looking for a suitable case it struck me.. I'd love to put a beastly system inside an old POS case like the 486 DX case I had when I was a kid.

Has anyone done this? Were you successful? War story? Is mounting a modern mobo in an old case a nightmare? Am I better off aborting this and just opting for a new case and perhaps some beige spray paint? :)

cheers

Go for the new case and the beige spray paint if you must create this monstrosity you describe :lol:

Seriously, since the MiniITX spec didn't exist when the case you have was made, the holes for mounting the motherboard standoffs will not line up; you'll probably have difficulty mounting a power supply since the ATX standard probably wasn't around yet, etc.

lol monstrosity

You're not wrong, but the nostalgia.. dayum.. And yes it'd probably be unnecessarily complex to get something mounted in there. Maybe I'd even have to butcher a new mini-ITX case and angle grind the case housings into submission.

This is pretty much exactly what I had.. aaaand I'm fairly sure it's in the basement somewhere. And yes.. I'd be keeping the floppy drive for aesthetics ;)

3180360840_97ec6b6e97.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back