Contribute
Register

A Hackintosh Build with Legacy Hardware around G31M-ES2L

Status
Not open for further replies.
wavesequence said:
Please let me know how did you succceed installing AtherosL1cEthernet.kext.
I encountered endless problems with kexthelper b7 because it asks for an user password that doesn't work. I created also a root user but with no luck.

Actually AtherosL1cEthernet.kext can't be downloaded from kexts.com due of an error. :(

Does AtherosL1cEthernet.kext enable just the internal LAN or must be used with LAN PCI Card? (i.e. the internal LAN never works with SL)
That is very strange. Your own login password should work if you created your account at the install time. Did you try kext utility also?

I attach the Atheros kext below, in case you need it. This should enable the on-board LAN of the motherboard (a PCI card would need a different kernel extension unless that, too, uses an Atheros chip).

Step by step:
(1) Just to have a clean start: look into /System/Library/Extensions, and if there is a previous install of AtherosL1cEthernet.kext, remove it (sudo rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/AtherosL1cEthernet.kext ; you'll be asked to supply your login password). Then open Multibeast and install System Utilities (i.e. rebuild cache and repair permissions).
(2) Install kext utility from Multibeast (it should install into the Application folder).
(3) Download the zip file for the kernel extension, save it to a convenient location and double click on it to expand it. It should expand into a single kernel extension folder (.kext), with a "Lego" icon.
(4) Drag-drop this icon onto the icon of Kext Utility. It will probably ask for your login password again, which should work.

Attachments

• AtherosL1cEthernet.kext.zip
    26.2 KB · Views: 184
Just to let everyone know my sad, truly sad story (cue up the violins!).

I've had real troubles with my ES2L Snow Leopard builds. I finally did manage to get everything working and updated to 10.6.6, then kernel panics started happening (I'm talking once an hour). I couldn't really pin it down to one or two things. I thought maybe it was Logitech Control Center, then I thought maybe iLife 11 was somehow doing stuff.

So after endless work to get Snow on my board, I went back to my Leopard build and I haven't KP'd once in a full day.

I would love to get to the bottom of it all, but really can't spare any more time on this. I loved how SL was faster on the same hardware, but what use is a faster machine if it's unreliable?

Good luck to everyone else and thanks to everyone, esp. Akubichan for their help.

Great thanks to Akubichan :thumbup:

I hope this time will be the right one... :)
As usual I'm writing from my Win7 partition, thus I don't know what will happen then... :D

dct693 said:

Good luck to everyone else and thanks to everyone, esp. Akubichan for their help.
:cry: :cry: :cry: That's too bad.... I'm trying to think what I have done that hasn't been mentioned in the thread so far, that could make a difference.

• * Am running 32 bit; for most of what I do this doesn't matter, and also the board has a 4GB memory limit so....
  • * BIOS. I'm using Optimized Defaults throughout except:
    [list:1hibtrig]- On-Chip SATA Mode (second item under Integrated Peripherals) is changed from Auto to Enhanced, which would force SATA devices to operate as SATA (AHCI) devices. The default is to let the BIOS autodetect this, but I wasn't trusting of that.
  • - USB Keyboard/Mouse support are enabled. Without this I was getting a stuttering mouse problem.
[/list:u:1hibtrig]

Akubichan said:
dct693 said:

:cry: :cry: :cry: That's too bad.... I'm trying to think what I have done that hasn't been mentioned in the thread so far, that could make a difference.

• * Am running 32 bit; for most of what I do this doesn't matter, and also the board has a 4GB memory limit so....
  • * BIOS. I'm using Optimized Defaults throughout except:
    [list:1pivy8rw]- On-Chip SATA Mode (second item under Integrated Peripherals) is changed from Auto to Enhanced, which would force SATA devices to operate as SATA (AHCI) devices. The default is to let the BIOS autodetect this, but I wasn't trusting of that.
  • - USB Keyboard/Mouse support are enabled. Without this I was getting a stuttering mouse problem.
[/list:u:1pivy8rw]
Thanks. I also have those same settings. I disabled the serial and parallel ports also. I am on BIOS FI (the latest).

The only other things I can think of are that I left my PCI NIC card in a PCI slot and disabled it. (I left it in because it was difficult to remove, SL detected it, but was never actually able to connect to my network on it.) I was able to get LAN access via the built-in jack with the Atheros kext. I also had a USB card reader attached to one of the internal USB headers.

Hope you can straighten things out soon!

Updates: Found out that the audio microphone input (pink jack) isn't working. Didn't realize this until I tried Skype on this system. I'm using VoodooHDA 0.2.2.

But then, a Logitech USB microphone has worked "plug and play", so I'm all set for communicating. This makes me wonder if I should get a USB headset - I'm not planning to do anything Hi-Fi on this machine, but it will be useful for Skype. And eventually a web cam.

Can someone suggest a USB headset that works with Hackintosh?

Hey, I have a very similar system(sama mobo, revision 2.4, similar graphics card) to you and have been having trouble getting my sound to work. I have tried almost all the Voodoo patches with no effect. I also tried appleHDA role back with no results. I have heard that the 8400gs dosnt play nice with sound cards but am hoping that i am wrong. Any help would be awesome

I have read most of this thread but want to try installing snow leaopard with this mobo and the integrated vga.is this recommended to start with?

I do have a nvidia geforce7600 to try after I get it installed.

Sorry guys! Have been away from this for a long time. (Ain't I supposed to get a notification when someone posts on my thread?) My hackintosh has been working very well, but I'm about to upgrade it to Sandy Bridge.

I can't recall a thing about the on-board video of this board - I think it's integrated in the northbridge, and IIRC it worked at low-res (fine just for installation purposes). But I could be wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back