Contribute
Register

A fix for Bluetooth wakeup (new kext for firmware upload)

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi I'm just wondering how come my bluetooth disappeared after doing a fresh install of Lion 10.7.3 i used the latest update (3.3.0) from blueking + I installed IOath3kfrmwr.kext to (system/library/extentions) but nothing happened? Im assuming I did something wrong...
anyway how do you properly install this new bluetooth fix?

BigDonkey said:
yes, I can confirm that restart breaks it.
Reverse to original kext or use shut down instead until solution is found.

Yes, in my Console logs I see that after restart local_IOath4kfrmwr module fails to initiate firmware transfer for some reason.

But a sleep/wake up cycle will bring the Bluetooth back alive.

dk_chaula said:
my mouse wakeup after second time sleep mode.

If I understand correctly:
If your Bluetooth mouse is connected and hackintosh goes to sleep, then Bluetooth doesn't work after wakeup (although the BT icon does not appear broken), but it does work after the next sleep and wakeup.
I previously posted about this behavior with my Magic Trackpad (see few pages above). But if you manually disconnect BT HID devices (trackpad/mouse/keyboard) in menu bar before sleep, then the fix will work after wakeup and devices will automatically reconnect.
I can confirm the same behavior with a Connectland BT mouse, although some people seem to not have any such problem.

There is a workaround that will automatically disconnect BT devices before sleep, but it requires installation of the sleepwatcher daemon (http://www.bernhard-baehr.de/), which may be a bit technical. I wrote a small program BluetoothDisconnect (see attached, source code included also). There is a sleepwatcher script and plist and a brief HowTo. Please refer to sleepwatcher installation instructions, if you are interested in trying this workaround.

Attachments

• BluetoothDisconnect.zip
    37.1 KB · Views: 127
nikstar said:
When a USB dongle is present and without any BT fix installed, only with vanilla kexts, the Dongle is working except when waking from sleep. And this is because, the internal BT somehow conflicts with the dongle. If you remove the PCI-E card, the dongle is working OTB and wake from sleep too (sometimes you need to inject your device's ID to the kext).
Also I had a strange behavior of the internal BT and causing the threads at kernel_task to increase to thousands and eating the ram causing the system to be "heavy". This is temporarily solved by isolated the USB part of the PCI card.

I tested a version of the kext (called IOath3kNull) that opens the Atheros BT controller USB device, DOES NOT download firmware, but keeps the USB device open for exclusive access. It is intended for use with a USB Bluetooth dongle, and is trying to achieve the same goal as a hardware modification with a tape over USB leads on PCI-E card (inactivate the built-in BT controller), but in software.

It was tested with RocketFish micro usb bluetooth adapter (RF-MRBTAD) and the Magic Trackpad. Magic trackpad experience is flawless and very responsive, 3&4 finger gestures work, sleep and wakeup work every time (and no need to disconnect before sleep). Boot, restart - works.

It may seem that the IOath3kNull.kext does nothing, but without it, RocketFish BT will not wake up from sleep on my system.

P.S. kernel_task stays at 65 threads

Attachments

• IOath3kNull.zip
    35.3 KB · Views: 318
johncrazer said:
hi I'm just wondering how come my bluetooth disappeared after doing a fresh install of Lion 10.7.3 i used the latest update (3.3.0) from blueking + I installed IOath3kfrmwr.kext to (system/library/extentions) but nothing happened? Im assuming I did something wrong...

After you install Lion 10.7.3 and the latest update (3.3.0), you should have the following:
a) (/Extra/BT) folder with a previous solution (works well after boot, but doesn't wakeup);
b) (/System/Library/LaunchDaemons/local.BT-uploader.plist) which launches files from (/Extra/BT);
c) (/System/Library/Extensions/IOBluetoothFamily.kext) which is a hacked kext (two plugins were moved into /Extra/BT).

To install and use the new BT kext (IOath3kfrmwr.kext), you will need to:
0) Get the original ("vanilla") IOBluetoothFamily.kext, for example, extracted from 10.7.3 Combo update using Pacifist;
1) Remove the three components a,b,c listed above (but make a backup copy of these items first, in case you will want to roll-back; super-user access will be required);
2) PlaceIOath3kfrmwr.kext and vanilla IOBluetoothFamily.kext on Desktop, and install them via KextBeast (or use your other favorite kext installation method).

mac4mat said:
johncrazer said:

After you install Lion 10.7.3 and the latest update (3.3.0), you should have the following:
a) (/Extra/BT) folder with a previous solution (works well after boot, but doesn't wakeup);
b) (/System/Library/LaunchDaemons/local.BT-uploader.plist) which launches files from (/Extra/BT);
c) (/System/Library/Extensions/IOBluetoothFamily.kext) which is a hacked kext (two plugins were moved into /Extra/BT).

To install and use the new BT kext (IOath3frmwr.kext), you will need to:
0) Get the original ("vanilla") IOBluetoothFamily.kext, for example, extracted from 10.7.3 Combo update using Pacifist;
1) Remove the three components a,b,c listed above (but make a backup copy of these items first, in case you will want to roll-back; super-user access will be required);
2) Place IOBluetoothFamily.kext and vanilla IOBluetoothFamily.kext on Desktop, and install them via KextBeast (or use your other favorite kext installation method).

Thanks for the reply, i followed all the steps that you wrote except the last part where it says "Place IOBluetoothFamily.kext and vanilla IOBluetoothFamily.kext on Desktop, and install them via KextBeast (or use your other favorite kext installation method)" I extracted the vanilla IOBluetoothFamily.kext from 10.7.3 update... I'm confused about the other one... where/how do i get the IOBluetoothFamily.kext (not the vanilla one)

johncrazer said:
Thanks for the reply, i followed all the steps that you wrote except the last part where it says "Place IOBluetoothFamily.kext and vanilla IOBluetoothFamily.kext on Desktop, and install them via KextBeast (or use your other favorite kext installation method)" I extracted the vanilla IOBluetoothFamily.kext from 10.7.3 update... I'm confused about the other one... where/how do i get the IOBluetoothFamily.kext (not the vanilla one)

My bad - didn't re-read what I typed. Sorry.
Intended to be the following:
2) Place IOath3kfrmwr.kext and vanilla IOBluetoothFamily.kext on Desktop, and install them via KextBeast (or use your other favorite kext installation method).
I will edit the post.

mac4mat said:
dk_chaula said:
my mouse wakeup after second time sleep mode.

If I understand correctly:
If your Bluetooth mouse is connected and hackintosh goes to sleep, then Bluetooth doesn't work after wakeup (although the BT icon does not appear broken), but it does work after the next sleep and wakeup.
I previously posted about this behavior with my Magic Trackpad (see few pages above). But if you manually disconnect BT HID devices (trackpad/mouse/keyboard) in menu bar before sleep, then the fix will work after wakeup and devices will automatically reconnect.
I can confirm the same behavior with a Connectland BT mouse, although some people seem to not have any such problem.

There is a workaround that will automatically disconnect BT devices before sleep, but it requires installation of the sleepwatcher daemon (http://www.bernhard-baehr.de/), which may be a bit technical. I wrote a small program BluetoothDisconnect (see attached, source code included also). There is a sleepwatcher script and plist and a brief HowTo. Please refer to sleepwatcher installation instructions, if you are interested in trying this workaround.

Thanks for your help.. mac4mat.

i will try today.

mac4mat said:
johncrazer said:

My bad - didn't re-read what I typed. Sorry.
Intended to be the following:
2) Place IOath3kfrmwr.kext and vanilla IOBluetoothFamily.kext on Desktop, and install them via KextBeast (or use your other favorite kext installation method).
I will edit the post.

YESSSS!!!!!! THANK YOU!!!! I FINALLY GOT IT WORKING!!!! :D :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: YOUR AWESOME MAC4MAT :)

dk_chaula said:
mac4mat said:
http://www.bernhard-baehr.de/[/url]), which may be a bit technical. I wrote a small program BluetoothDisconnect (see attached, source code included also). There is a sleepwatcher script and plist and a brief HowTo. Please refer to sleepwatcher installation instructions, if you are interested in trying this workaround.

Thanks for your help.. mac4mat.

i will try today.[/quote:20dykto7]

its not working on my mac.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back