Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z170-Gaming K3
CPU
Intel Core i5 6600K
Graphics
Nvidia GTX970 Palit
Hello all, so last week I decided to use a hackintosh again (Been a couple of years now)

So decided on mountain lion, setup a VM so I could buy it and setup a USB stick etc.

First my specs.

Intel i5 2400 3.1Ghz Sandybridge CPU (retail version)
Asus P8H61-I motherboard
2x4GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 OC3-10666C9 1333MHz dual channel ram
128GB SSD
2x 1TB HDD's

Now this PC was used with Windows 8 as a HTPC and some very light gaming. Could still play stuff like WoW on low with a steady 30fps.

So I installed Mountain lion and everything went ok during the install (Apart from having to use -x to get it installed)

Then I noticed things was a little choppy moving things around and I could not play movies / tv shows, no sound etc. So I assumed the onboard GFX was not supported and I would need a dedicated GPU.

I managed to find a spare Palit nVidia 460 768mb to chuck in (I had gone back to WIN8 by this point so had to install again) now when I hit enter on the USB start I just got a black screen with "No signal" even using -x did not help.

Now I can just remove the GPU and install the same way as before and then install the GPU post install.

But is the Palit nVidia 460 768mb going to work? Or something I can install / change before putting it back in?

Would rather not loose stuff attempting it again if there is no chance of that card working fully.

Cheers in advance :)

Well as an update....

I decided to give it a try, I installed OSX with no GFX card installed, updated and installed kext from unibeast and put the dedicated GPU back in.

Still just a "No signal" from the monitor on boot (Even with the -x flag)

So looks like I will have to buy a new GFX card.

Oh well, was worth a try :banghead:

Well....

During a boring bank holiday at work yesterday with nothing to do, I decided to attempt the Hackintosh again...

This time I changed some BIOS settings and after install the only boot flag I needed was PCIRootUID=0 :headbang:

So obviously that was a quick fix and now it boots up perfectly fine with no boot flags :D

So the GFX card is working perfectly now.

Sound was NOT working, but got that working too thank god.

But I am now onto my last problem to have everything working correctly....

The DVD writer (Slot loading) does not work at all, no power when you try to push a disk in, no light flashing when you press the button (Works fine when not in OSX)

In disk utility it is listed but grayed out.

It is connected via SATA is that is any help. Any ideas on what I can do to bring it to life in OSX?

Ok DVD writer is now working :D

So I can now confirm that the specs in my first post are compatible and working fantastic :D Even if they did need a little play to have them working nice lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back