A boot loader to load any os directly

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Z170-Deluxe
CPU
Graphics
GTX960OC-4GB
is there any boot loader capable of loading both linux and mac without loading another boot loader? I know that grub can boot darwin kernel directly but with hackintosh it's not an option. I'm using F8 at startup to choose between grub, clover & Windows boot manager. I just want to know if for example clover could boot linux without loading grub. (Grub can also load Windows without using efi or boot sector in mbr)

Yes, Clover can load the Linux kernel directly if you have the appropriate file system driver loaded. Enable the Linux Kernel Scan or add a custom menu entry pointing to it in the config.plist under GUI. It should then appear on the Clover boot menu. The Windows Boot Manager should already be there as Microsoft EFI Boot.

that will load grub from efi (or boot sector of /boot partition in mbr) it's called chainload and you will have one boot menu after another which is not very nice. similar thing happens with wbm. (in case of wbm yo only see a boot menu if you have 2 or more windows os installed) i remember back in the days when udf file system could still be used you could use grub to load darwin kernel without chainloading. I guess the only way to have only one boot menu would be setting the time out of grub to zero.
ps: grub is open source and i think it would be a great idea to integrate the ability of loading linux kernel into clover.

Perhaps I wasn't clear enough in my original post. Clover can actually load the linux kernel directly. You need to put the VBoxExt4-64.efi driver in EFI/Clover/drivers64UEFI so the Linux partition is accessible. It's in the official Clover install package and also available through Clover Configurator/Install Drivers. If the automatic kernel scan doesn't work for you then create a custom entry pointing directly to it in the config.plist under GUI. I load Ubuntu that way and have GRUB hidden. Everything is accessible from the Clover menu. I've attached my config file if you want to see what I'm talking about.

You may also want to check this post which uses a similar approach.

Attachments

• config.plist
    7 KB · Views: 344
Last edited:
right i forgot to add
<string>root=UUID=blahblah ro quiet splash initrd=\boot\initrd.img-blah-generic</string>
silly me.
thanks a lot.

how to autoboot linux kernel directly with kernel command line parameter?

Read my post #4 above and see the attached config.plist file for an example of how to load the linux kernel directly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back