Motherboard
ASUS Prime Z390-A
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
GTX 760
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
I'm about to build my first Hackintosh in about 8 years...My current rig is a gigabyte GA-Z77x-UD3H with a i7-3770K. I've been thinking about building a new computer for a few months, but now I am suddenly in need of a new, more powerful machine, so I'm going to take the plunge.

My main question is that I am trying to decide between building a 9th gen core i9 vs a 10th gen core i7. Both processors are about the same price and seem to have similar benchmark specs. Here are some of my considerations/questions, etc.

1) I have stayed on Mojave because I have some legacy software that I run. I am considering some modern alternatives to this software, and I may be ready to upgrade soon. However, for now I will probably want to start with a Mojave install...will this be possible with a 10th gen build?

2) I currently have a 1050 GTX Ti video card. I have no desire to upgrade this, as I am not doing anything very graphics intensive. Will I be able to run this with a 10th gen build - especially if I upgrade to Catalina?

3) I've only looked at passmark benchmarks and the two CPUs are very similar. Are there other considerations/benchmarks I should consider?

Any assistance you can help with would be greatly appreciated!!

However, for now I will probably want to start with a Mojave install...will this be possible with a 10th gen build?
Best to go with 9th gen for Mojave.
I currently have a 1050 GTX Ti video card. I have no desire to upgrade this, as I am not doing anything very graphics intensive. Will I be able to run this with a 10th gen build - especially if I upgrade to Catalina?
No drivers. Buy a supported AMD card. Other option is to use UHD 630 Intel graphics.

Thanks! This is very helpful...especially knowing that the video card won't be supported.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back