Contribute
Register

95% working Asus WS Z390 Pro 8K server build. USB woes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
ASUS Z97-E USB 3.1
CPU
i5-4690K
Graphics
2x GTX 1080 Ti
First off I'd like to start by saying, that I've learned a heck of a lot on these forums. I did my first Hackintosh on my old Z97 board with an i5-4690K with High Sierra and dual 1080 ti cards, and it works beautifully. This build is intended as a rack-mount media server that can play large media files in different formats. Here's the specs:

Motherboard: Asus WS Z390 Pro
Processor: i9-9900K with Corsair H100i Pro AIO
RAM: 32Gb Corsair 3200MHz
HDD: 1x Samsung 970 pro 1Tb NVME, 1x Samsung 970 Pro 2Tb NVME
GPU: AMD Radeon Pro WX 9100 16Gb
Audio: On board is working but getting a Lynx Studios E44 Audio card for Analog and digital audio out for mixer
Add-on: Blackmagic 8K Pro 12G SDI output card

Tha motherboards was chosen as it has four PCIe slots that can all operate at 8x should the need for that many cards arise, and 3 will be populated once the audio card arrives. Also, I wanted the Z390 for the most up-to-date hardware as this will be used for some serious media playback. Everything is powered by a Corsair HX1000 PSU which is 80 Plus Platinum certified, because clean and efficient power. I also added a kingwin front panel USB hub that is currently not working, but more on that later.

I started with the typical Unibeast/ Multibeast install, but after a little while of going through items in Clover Configurator, I went with a vanilla install for simplicity. Nothing against the excellent software solutions on here, but I'm a tinkerer. I have a few more add-ons for this build including a 3.1 gen 2 front panel adapter and some molex extensions and the like for good cable management. Everything works as expected with not a lot of hiccups, however, I'm looking in the system report for USB info since the front panel hub isn't working, and it's not reporting a USB 2.0 Hub. It's listing everything as 3.0 and 3.1. All rear I/O appears to function as normal though, as well as the front USB 2.0, but the system report lists this as a USB 3.1 bus as opposed to the 2.0 bus it actually is. Since I'm trying to go through and disable ports, I think this is important, also, the front panel hub isn't appearing at all when I'm going through and plugging devices in when scanning the ports. The hub has power and works in bios, just not when in the OS. So any info there is appreciated. Geekbench scores will be posted as well. If anyone would like to take a look at my efi stuff, I'll gladly share, but I'm just a bit curious as to why USB reporting seems to be off.

As background, my other computer is a dual boot machine, ASUS Z97e/ USB 3.1, i5-4690K, 16Gb 1600MHz RAM, 1Tb HDD, 2x 1080 ti, and nothing else all that special. Everything works on it, audio from board as well as displayport. Thanks to the tools on this thread and others.

Edit: thanks to the admin that moved this here. I was a bit hasty and didn't put the post in correct format for user builds.

Attachments

• IMG_20190319_112350.jpg
    IMG_20190319_112350.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 443
  • Screen Shot 2019-03-19 at 11.27.49 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-03-19 at 11.27.49 AM.png
    28.3 KB · Views: 195
  • Screen Shot 2019-03-19 at 11.33.56 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-03-19 at 11.33.56 AM.png
    54.2 KB · Views: 196
  • Screen Shot 2019-03-19 at 11.34.47 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-03-19 at 11.34.47 AM.png
    55 KB · Views: 176
Last edited:
After some tinkering in IORegistryExplorer, it would seem that on one of my USB 3.0/3.1 ports is working now. This is with USBInjectall.kext and XHCI-Unsupported.kext in my EFI/Clover/Kexts/Other folder. Everythingelse seems to work at USB 2.0 speeds, and the USB 2.0 bus is still being recognized as a USB 3.1 bus.

I have the same MB, heres my USBPorts.kext if it helps. USB 2.0/3.0 works fine on my front panel etc

Attachments

• USBPorts.kext.zip
    1 KB · Views: 138
I have the same MB, heres my USBPorts.kext if it helps. USB 2.0/3.0 works fine on my front panel etc
Thanks. I'll give this a try momentarily. Did you install this via kextwizard/ kextbeast, or right into the efi/clover/kexts/other folder?

I put everything in kexts/other, never used anything else

I put everything in kexts/other, never used anything else

Didn't work for me. Did you also remove the USBInjectall kext?

Last edited:
you have to remove usbinjectall yes

you have to remove usbinjectall yes
Thanks again for the help. Still isn't working for me for some reason, and the system still only sees usb 3.0 and 3.1 where there should be USB 2.0. One moment, IOregistry now sees some SS ports. I should be able to edit a custom ssdt now, right? It sees three of the six USB 3.1 ports on the MB rear panel now, front still not working though.

Last edited:
So got a custom SSDT created with some trial and error, and now I finally have working USB 3, however, the system profiler still lists the usb 2.0 as 3.1, and my front panel USB 3.0 works but seemingly at usb2 or lower speeds. Also, is it normal for the font panel to show up as an rp08 under IOReg?

@BimmerBoy @Puntme guys, could you share your bios settings and EFI folder, pls?

I've bought the same MoBo but can't start it yet. It stuck on `using 16384 buffer headers and 10240 cluster IO buffer headers`

Thank you for advance!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back