Contribute
Register

889A (Gigabyte UD4P, UD5) Audio Totally Native Now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte P44M-UD4
CPU
i7 860
Graphics
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hello,

Can you confirm that the 889A audio containing MBs like the UD4P and UD5 will be totally supported by apple for the foreseable future (10.6.3 on), or is that not true.

I was set on a UD2(to have full Tony support!), but this could swing me.

Thank You

i just updated to 10.6.3 on my clone and then tested without LegacyHDA after reading tony's blog post and it works! :eek:

maybe i didnt do it correctly and LegacyHDA is still loaded, but i renamed to LegacyHDA.bak.kext and made a new extentions cache.

rich said:
i just updated to 10.6.3 on my clone and then tested without LegacyHDA after reading tony's blog post and it works! :eek:

maybe i didnt do it correctly and LegacyHDA is still loaded, but i renamed to LegacyHDA.bak.kext and made a new extentions cache.

Well- maybe I wasn't clear enough- what I meant was that it works with DSDT fix and LegacyHDA with the 10.6.3 AppleHDA.kext. Unlike the 888/888b/889 :banghead:

ah ok :thumbup: what i meant was i tried backing up LegacyHDA and re-caching so it wasnt loaded and audio seemed to work fine. but then just tried removing LegacyHDA and re-caching and doesnt work. cant work that one out :?:

so well always need LegacyHDA? cause Gigabyte boards dont use Intel audio?

tonymacx86 said:
Well- maybe I wasn't clear enough- what I meant was that it works with DSDT fix and LegacyHDA with the 10.6.3 AppleHDA.kext. Unlike the 888/888b/889 :banghead:

Or maybe I am dense! I misunderstood what you meant by native. Just trying to do as much homework as I can before buying a MB.

I did start purchasing today though, i7 860!

rich said:
ah ok :thumbup: what i meant was i tried backing up LegacyHDA and re-caching so it wasnt loaded and audio seemed to work fine. but then just tried removing LegacyHDA and re-caching and doesnt work. cant work that one out :?:

so well always need LegacyHDA? cause Gigabyte boards dont use Intel audio?

The system will still load the kext, even if it has .bak. The final extension is still .kext

Tony,

You had said that the 889a might be more supported in 10.3, but it seems like many folks on the spreadsheet are having problems, or am I mistaken. I have not tried 10.6.2 yet so I don't have experience.

In your blog you noted:

Audio
The 10.6.3 update will break the current audio solution for LegacyHDA + DSDT for ALC 888/888b/889. The good news is that 889a is still supported- you can use the same solution as before.

Can you be more specific? I think I have the LegacyHDA from multibeast and your DSDT for the UD4P but no audio.

I greatly appreciate your help and experience. Thank you.

cakemonster said:
Tony,

You had said that the 889a might be more supported in 10.3, but it seems like many folks on the spreadsheet are having problems, or am I mistaken. I have not tried 10.6.2 yet so I don't have experience.

In your blog you noted:

Audio
The 10.6.3 update will break the current audio solution for LegacyHDA + DSDT for ALC 888/888b/889. The good news is that 889a is still supported- you can use the same solution as before.

Can you be more specific? I think I have the LegacyHDA from multibeast and your DSDT for the UD4P but no audio.

I greatly appreciate your help and experience. Thank you.

I just realized the P55a-UD4p has the 889 and not the 889a. Man, I bought that board just for the 889a, I blew it! It is the non "a" version that has it... Man...stupid... Maybe Amazon will take it back!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back