Contribute
Register

8550u - CPU speed does not throttle back up during stress test despite lower temperatures

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Dell XPS 8700
CPU
i7-4970
Graphics
Vega 56
Odd problem here. When I run cinebench CPU test, the speed of the CPU ramps up to ~2600 mhz. Once the temp of ~70 C hits (typically within 5-10 seconds), the CPU throttles down to 1200-1400mhz and stays there. Temperatures will fall down to 60 C and CPU speed and temp will remain at that level until the stress test is done.

However, if I load windows and perform a stress test, the temperatures will remain around ~70 C and the CPU will speed will range from 2200 mhz - 2600 mhz.

Only if go back into Mac after doing the stress test in windows, the CPU will perform just like how it did in windows (maintains max CPU speed at around 70 C). If I perform a reboot after the stress test in Mac, the CPU will maintain max CPU speed at around 70C. If I perform a shutdown in Mac and relaunch cinebench after booting into Mac, the CPU problem reappears. I haven't found a way to get the CPU to behave normally without having to boot into windows prior.

Not sure what to make of this, but problem reporting files are attached. Thanks in advance for any help and guidance. I'm very close to getting a stable hackintosh if it wasn't for this problem!

Things I've tried:
1. Both methods outlined in the following guide:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/macos-native-cpu-igpu-power-management.222982/
2. ssdtPRGen - I know this isn't necessary for high Sierra, but wanted to see if PM would behave any differently
3. Various CPU parameters in config.plist. Setting min multiplier, C3 latency to 0x3E9. Neither of which made a difference.

Attachments

• RehabMan.zip
    732.3 KB · Views: 42
  • clover.zip
    1.8 MB · Views: 73
Last edited:
Update:

This appears to be a bios issue with power limiting. I was able to have this problem in Windows as well. While I'm not sure what the root cause is, I am able to get the CPU to perform at it's max capabilities in MacOS by performing the following steps. Note this is on an HP Envy 13-AD173CL with BIOS FW.23 single SSD dual boot (clover uefi).

1. Hold escape while hitting the power button to get to the bios options
2. Select F10 (System Recovery) - Nothing will happen other than loading clover.
3. Boot into Windows first
4. Test to make sure that the CPU is operating at maximum performance by running a stress test. Monitor CPU voltage that it maintains around 15w TDP. If you have the issue, the TDP will maintain around 6-8W.
5. **IMPORTANT STEP** Shutdown windows. For some reason, rebooting doesn't let the settings stick.
6. Boot into MacOS and run stress test. Monitor CPU voltage that it maintains around 15w TDP. If you have the issue, the TDP will maintain around 6-8W.

Still trying to figure out how to have the CPU perform at its max without having to boot into Windows first. Going to try to downgrade the bios firmware to see if that helps at all.

Odd problem here. When I run cinebench CPU test, the speed of the CPU ramps up to ~2600 mhz. Once the temp of ~70 C hits (typically within 5-10 seconds), the CPU throttles down to 1200-1400mhz and stays there. Temperatures will fall down to 60 C and CPU speed and temp will remain at that level until the stress test is done.

However, if I load windows and perform a stress test, the temperatures will remain around ~70 C and the CPU will speed will range from 2200 mhz - 2600 mhz.

Only if go back into Mac after doing the stress test in windows, the CPU will perform just like how it did in windows (maintains max CPU speed at around 70 C). If I perform a reboot after the stress test in Mac, the CPU will maintain max CPU speed at around 70C. If I perform a shutdown in Mac and relaunch cinebench after booting into Mac, the CPU problem reappears. I haven't found a way to get the CPU to behave normally without having to boot into windows prior.

Not sure what to make of this, but problem reporting files are attached. Thanks in advance for any help and guidance. I'm very close to getting a stable hackintosh if it wasn't for this problem!

Things I've tried:
1. Both methods outlined in the following guide:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/macos-native-cpu-igpu-power-management.222982/
2. ssdtPRGen - I know this isn't necessary for high Sierra, but wanted to see if PM would behave any differently
3. Various CPU parameters in config.plist. Setting min multiplier, C3 latency to 0x3E9. Neither of which made a difference.

You didn't disable the Nvidia.
Read here:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-disabling-discrete-graphics-in-dual-gpu-laptops.163772/

Thanks for the response and feedback. I’ve disabled Nvidia and the problem still persists. I confirmed the the Nvidia is disabled by looking at system information under graphics and it no longer appears in the list. Only the hd620 appears. Any other ideas?

Thanks for the response and feedback. I’ve disabled Nvidia and the problem still persists. I confirmed the the Nvidia is disabled by looking at system information under graphics and it no longer appears in the list. Only the hd620 appears. Any other ideas?

No "Problem Reporting" files attached.
Read FAQ, "Problem Reporting" again. Carefully. Attach all requested files/output.
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/faq-read-first-laptop-frequent-questions.164990/
Use the gen_debug.sh tool mentioned in the FAQ, that way it is less likely you'll omit something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back