Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. Mac mini
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I purchased an Asus PCE-AC66 802.11ac card at Fry's yesterday, and a new Airport Extreme the day before. I happen to know someone who just purchased a 2013 MacBook Air, so I copied the IONetworkingFamily.kext and the IO80211Family.kext, and used Kext Beast to install them.

The card works, but it seems a bit flaky. The WiFi icon blinks from no bars to full bars, but Airport Utility says I have an excellent connection. I tried transferring a 16GB Folder with a season TV shows, to a Gigabit wired connection, It says 5 Hours to transfer, Data rate at around 1.5 MB/Sec. Sending the same data on a wired connection between two computers, 5 Minutes.

If I send the same 16GB file from another wired connection, to the 802.11ac computer, same deal, 5 hours and abysmal transfer speed.

Is there any other file I could edit to get things to run smoothly?

*edit - Installing windows now to test card there.

It is the brand new tower type AirPort Extreme, connection type ac. Under windows, card connects and works fine. I transferred a 1.36GB file to my ML Server using SMB it gets around 20MB/sec. I don't know if the transfer protocol has something to do with that though.

Mac App Store won't connect. The Internet connection doesn't work on its own, I have to connect to wifi every time I reboot. All worked fine with my Sonnet Ethernet card.

I can't get back to the Macbook Air, the person I know is a student who left for school.

Did you bother downloading the update at all to see if you can run it? It's just a PKG. You can always change your smbios.plist to a MBA to at least install it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back