Contribute
Register

€800 euro build, is this any good ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a couple of questions : would picking all parts from buyers guide result in a Golden build where everything will work?
How do you get hold of High sierra for the very first hackintosh you build having no other Mac laying around ? (if you cannot answer this One it's ok) thanks

I have a couple of questions : would picking all parts from buyers guide result in a Golden build where everything will work?
How do you get hold of High sierra for the very first hackintosh you build having no other Mac laying around ? (if you cannot answer this One it's ok) thanks

That's not a how a Golden build is defined. The Admins designate a Golden build based on certain criteria. Just because a build is fully functional doesn't make it a Golden build. The only place to get High Sierra is from the Mac App Store. Either buy, borrow or rent a Mac or use a functional CustoMac running at least Mt. Lion to get access. Do not use a VM install in Windows, that will get you a permanent ban and you cannot get any help here thereafter. We have a zero tolerance for software piracy here. That's one rule that is always enforced no matter what the circumstances. See the Rules section for the fine print.

That's not a how a Golden build is defined. The Admins designate a Golden build based on certain criteria. Just because a build is fully functional doesn't make it a Golden build. The only place to get High Sierra is from the Mac App Store. Either buy, borrow or rent a Mac or use a functional CustoMac running at least Mt. Lion to get access. Do not use a VM install in Windows, that will get you a permanent ban and you cannot get any help here thereafter. We have a zero tolerance for software piracy here. That's one rule that is always enforced no matter what the circumstances. See the Rules section for the fine print.
Thanks.
Would at least buying the parts from the buyers guide ensure a success along the line or there could still be incompatibility somewhere?

Thanks.
Would at least buying the parts from the buyers guide ensure a success ?
If you buy compatible parts, do things like check the Ram's QVL on the motherboard manufacturer's site then there should be no problems. You do have to follow a good install guide for that specific hardware to have success.

or there could still be incompatibility somewhere?
Always do your research first. Search the forums and User Build Guides to see what others have experienced with the components you want to buy. It's all there if you will take the time to search and find out.

I’m looking into this quiet a lot, but it can be overwhelming since there are soooo much information to read and then to remember :crazy::crazy::crazy:
That’s why I asked :lol::lol:

In this moment I’m Still stuck at the best CPU I can spend my money on, many say i5 7400 isn’t a good option in this moment... ryzen is a no go, coffee lake maybe too early... not much choice left I guess

Last edited by a moderator:
You could get an I3-8100 which costs less than the I5-7400 and performs as good or better. You will have to wait for the B360 motherboards in 2018 or go with a Z370 now and spend more. You can always run Windows or Ubuntu for a few months while you're waiting for new motherboards and Coffee Lake support. If you joined 3.5 years ago and waited that long to try this what's a few months more wait ?

You could get an I3-8100 which costs less than the I5-7400 and performs as good or better. You will have to wait for the B360 motherboards in 2018 or go with a Z370 now and spend more. You can always run Windows or Ubuntu for a few months while you're waiting for new motherboards and Coffee Lake support. If you joined 3.5 years ago and waited that long to try this what's a few months more wait ?
Does that mean you agree as well that i5 7400 is not a good choice today?

Does that mean you agree as well that i5 7400 is not a good choice today?
It's not a bad choice. Just that the newer four core I3-8100 sells for less. About 65 dollars less. You can get a Sierra install working immediately with the 7400 with no CPU ID spoofing or other tweaks as it's natively supported already. You also don't have to spend extra for "Z" motherboard like you do with the 8100.

Will there be compatibility with coffee lake only when Apple will use these CPU in their machines? If so, it might take looong time.

It's not a bad choice. Just that the newer four core I3-8100 sells for less. About 65 dollars less. You can get a Sierra install working immediately with the 7400 with no CPU ID spoofing or other tweaks as it's natively supported already. You also don't have to spend extra for "Z" motherboard like you do with the 8100.
If i put i3 8100 on a "Z" board altough it might be a waste of a few €, is this not a good choice if One day i want to switch to a better coffee lake cpu??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back