Contribute
Register

6850 or i5 2500k

Status
Not open for further replies.
ChiefWizard said:
If you really want a discrete card the HD 6670 is a very capable card that I've put in builds for a lot of people (granted under windows). It can drive 3 1080p monitors just fine (just don't plan on playing any games on all 3) and handles heavy graphical work a lot better than the integrated graphics. I recently bought one on sale from newegg for $62. That would give you some room to buy the 2500K if your really wanting both.

(though I am basing this off its performance in windows, Ubuntu and arch linux).

I have a HD 5770 in my hack and it even seems to be overkill even with 3 monitors. Though as Gordo74 said the integrated 3000 would be sufficient for anything non graphically heavy.

Just my $0.02

I appreciate your comments. I checked the http://www.tonymacx86.com/wiki/index.php/Graphics_Card_Database and couldn't find any HD 6670 cards on the list? Can anyone verify the performance and compatibility of HD 6670 in a hackintosh?

goober296 said:
What do you have in the way of old video cards laying around? You might be surprised what is cheap and compatible with a hack. You might not have to shell out money for a "new" card.

Good point. I don't have any old video cards laying around at the moment but noted for the future. :headbang:

Stork said:
I just put together a new system with a i3-2125 processor for the HD 3000 graphics, and I'm impressed with the snappiness.

Gordo74 said:
HD3000 will be perfect for your needs. It can also drive 3 displays if need be.

Great! My goal here is to get everything working with my first attempt, and then maybe add more power later as my skills grow. All things considered, I am going for i3-2125 with HD 3000 for the current build. In the mean time I'll be looking out for any upgrade opportunities in the coming months. Thanks for all the input, guys!! This is a wonderful forum

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back