CPU
i7 6700k
Graphics
gtx 980
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Alright, so I'm in the process of building another Hackintosh for my buddy and I'm about to start the installation process. However, I need a quick question answered about the 6850 and ML.

I've searched for a few days only to still have an un-answered question about if the resolution and functionality will be native upon a FRESH installation of ML 10.8.2. I saw two different threads pertaining to 6xxx cards and both seemed to be full of people upgrading from Lion. The process involves showing the hidden files on the Unibeast drive, finding the Ati6xxxx kext and backing it up, deleting it, then upgrading to ML and installing the kext via KextBeast.

I'm just wondering if this card will be plug and play with no need for deleting the kext for native resolution and acceleration. Also, will I be able to use GE=Yes to have full functionality or is this applied natively?

System Specs:

MSI Z77A-G45
i7 2600k
16Gb Corsair Dominator
XFX 6850 1Gb
Samsung 840
1TB WD Blue

Any help is appreciated.

Yeah, the 6xxx cards are a bit tricky in ML.

1. Install OS X without the card. Use the built-in HD4000 instead.
2. When installation is done, install the card.
3. Done. No fiddling needed (as far as I know, 6870 worked right away).

Yeah, the 6xxx cards are a bit tricky in ML.

1. Install OS X without the card. Use the built-in HD4000 instead.
2. When installation is done, install the card.
3. Done. No fiddling needed (as far as I know, 6870 worked right away).

Thank you for the clear answer. I ended up just following the second guide I found on installing OS X with the HD4000 and using the method that you just suggested. Worked perfectly without the need of re-installing any kexts.

Would have been great to know that two days ago :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back