2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi

I have just got hold of a mac mini 2018 i3 for less than 200

I have a egpu razer core x mercury box

I have a 6650xt asus dual fan graphics card coming

Can you advise how i would get this working in a egpu enclosure with the 6650xt

I have pre used hackintoshes before but most of the efi was pre made from users on here

Last edited:
You need to look in to the setup and configuration of OpenCore Legacy Patcher to get your Mac mini 2013 running Monterey before you can use your new eGPU. As the RX6600/XT & RX6650/XT cards only gained support in Monterey 12.1.

Running any earlier version of macOS won't allow you to enable your eGPU as they all lack drivers for these cards.

You need to look in to the setup and configuration of OpenCore Legacy Patcher to get your Mac mini 2013 running Monterey before you can use your new eGPU. As the RX6600/XT & RX6650/XT cards only gained support in Monterey 12.1.

Running any earlier version of macOS won't allow you to enable your eGPU as they all lack drivers for these cards.
Apple said that eGPUs are supported on Intel Macs with Thunderbolt 3 ports, not on Thunderbolt 1/2 :

In the same document there is no mention of the RX 6650 XT either.

I don't think there is a "Mac Mini 2013" either. There are 2012 and 2014 versions. What exactly does the OP have?

All these makes me wonder whether the OP can really make eGPUs work on his/her Mac mini even if he/she can make Monterey run using OCLP, if he/she really has an old Mac mini.

The title of this message, however, claims the ownership of a Mac mini 2018 i3. If this is true, then the OP can upgrade to Monterey and then try to make use of the eGPU. But even in this case the 6650 XT may still present problems.

Hi

I have just got hold of a mac mini 2013 i3 for less than 200

I have a egpu razer core x mercury box

I have a 6650xt asus dual fan graphics card coming

Can you advise how i would get this working in a egpu enclosure with the 6650xt

I have pre used hackintoshes before but most of the efi was pre made from users on here
Do you have an old Mac mini (2012 / 2014 as there are no 2013 versions) or do you have a Mac mini 2018 as claimed in the title?

The 6650 XT will require spoofing a 6600 XT for support with macOS, but spoofing in an external enclosure is problematic. If you do want an eGPU, do yourself a favour and change the 6650 XT for a card which is supported out of the box.

Back