Contribute
Register

64 bit?

Status
Not open for further replies.
cpukid said:
1) Yes I used multibeast to install chameleon
2) No, I'm not using DSDT (Not quite sure what it is or how to use it honestly.)
3) Yes, Its a purchased retail copy from apple.com
You should reinstall from scratch using my CustoMac Pro Install Guide here: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4837

The only difference is you can skip the ATY_Init piece and use com.apple.boot.plist with 64-bit with Graphics Enabler.

Thanks! Question though: Where do I use the DSDT-GA-X58A-UD3R-2.0-FA.aml file?

Sorry to double post, but I am now on 10.6.4 running 64 bit :) However, My gfx are gone. I've googled and found that NVEnabler works. I have a kext but I'm not sure what to do with it. Please help

cpukid said:
Right now I'm running 10.6.0 and I'm trying to install Premiere Pro CS5. This requires 64 bit, but I'm running 32 bit. How do I get 64 bit so I can use the software?

I could be completely wrong here; but I installed CS5 Master Collection last night on my 32bit install; it installed and ran fine. When I ran photoshop cs5 the splash screen stated version 12 (I think) and said it was x64. I assume CS5 is running in x64 mode even though my OS is running 32 bit.

So the question to someone with more experience than I, will booting in x64 actually change anything?

cpukid said:
Thanks! Question though: Where do I use the DSDT-GA-X58A-UD3R-2.0-FA.aml file?

Sorry for the doublepost, just saw this. It's all in the guide but as long as you you download the DSDT file that corresponds with your current BIOS version (FA or FB) and have it sitting on your desktop, when you run multibeast and select the DSDT option, multibeast grabs the DSDT file and uses it.

jeremydt said:
cpukid said:
Right now I'm running 10.6.0 and I'm trying to install Premiere Pro CS5. This requires 64 bit, but I'm running 32 bit. How do I get 64 bit so I can use the software?

I could be completely wrong here; but I installed CS5 Master Collection last night on my 32bit install; it installed and ran fine. When I ran photoshop cs5 the splash screen stated version 12 (I think) and said it was x64. I assume CS5 is running in x64 mode even though my OS is running 32 bit.

So the question to someone with more experience than I, will booting in x64 actually change anything?

Booting in 64-bit only changes the kernel from 32-bit to 64-bit, which changes nothing in terms of performance, as Applications still run in 64-bit (if they're written for it).

Also, I thought I'd mention that you can see exactly what is running in 64-bit by looking in Activity Monitor.

Vendetta said:
jeremydt said:
cpukid said:

Booting in 64-bit only changes the kernel from 32-bit to 64-bit, which changes nothing in terms of performance, as Applications still run in 64-bit (if they're written for it).

Also, I thought I'd mention that you can see exactly what is running in 64-bit by looking in Activity Monitor.

Thanks V.

That's just what I needed; I won't even bother trying to boot into x64 now.

Thanks for the tip on activity monitor too - still a mac noobie!

Sorry for the other topic I created, I just really wanted to get it working! However, I found the answer and I am now running 64 bit on 10.6.4 with everything working! It's basically a Mac Pro :D Thanks for your help and hard work everyone.

Regarding CS5, it wouldn't let me install CS5 in 32 bit mode. The apps that were written for 64 bit simply wouldn't show up in the installer. I was also running 10.6.1, so that might have been the issue as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back