Contribute
Register

5960x - Titan X - 2x Samsung 4k - Asus X99-E WS - Clover - EFI - SM951

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm getting stuck on booting from clover. I've gotten to the start of section 8 in the guide where it I'm supposed to "open OS X on yosemite" it's actually "Boot Mac OS X from Yosemite" on my thing but I think that's the option he/you are referring to.

When I select this option it tries to boot and then just restarts. Not sure what to do now.

I also did try adding -x and -f to the bootflags, but it didn't seem to help.

- J

I'm getting stuck on booting from clover. I've gotten to the start of section 8 in the guide where it I'm supposed to "open OS X on yosemite" it's actually "Boot Mac OS X from Yosemite" on my thing but I think that's the option he/you are referring to.

When I select this option it tries to boot and then just restarts. Not sure what to do now.

I also did try adding -x and -f to the bootflags, but it didn't seem to help.

- J

If it reboots during boot of course your system hangs at "PCI Configuration" point, and this is due to an unpatched kernel...try to add debug=0x14e to your boot line command.

If it reboots during boot of course your system hangs at "PCI Configuration" point, and this is due to an unpatched kernel...try to add debug=0x14e to your boot line command.

That is exactly what is going on. It hangs at the PCI Configuration point.

But I thought I patched the kernel in the setup process with this command "sudo perl -pi -e 's|\x74\x11\x83\xF8\x3C|\x74\x11\x83\xF8\x3F|g' /Volumes/USB/System/Library/Kernels/kernel"

Or perhaps something went wrong the later command "cp -R /Volumes/USB/System/Library/Kernels/kernel /Volumes/Yosemite/System/Library/Kernels/kernel"

I think it went through ok since I didn't get an error message when I typed it in.

Would you recommend trying to fix the unpatched kernel or just adding the debug=0x14e to the boot line?

That is exactly what is going on. It hangs at the PCI Configuration point.

But I thought I patched the kernel in the setup process with this command "sudo perl -pi -e 's|\x74\x11\x83\xF8\x3C|\x74\x11\x83\xF8\x3F|g' /Volumes/USB/System/Library/Kernels/kernel"

Or perhaps something went wrong the later command "cp -R /Volumes/USB/System/Library/Kernels/kernel /Volumes/Yosemite/System/Library/Kernels/kernel"

I think it went through ok since I didn't get an error message when I typed it in.

Would you recommend trying to fix the unpatched kernel or just adding the debug=0x14e to the boot line?

You must add debug=0x14e at the boot but anyway you must patch kernel when you log in the system...if you don't patch it you will have always the error at PCI Configuration point. As i wrote yesterday ,check dirnames in the usb stick, subfolders etc.

You must add debug=0x14e at the boot but anyway you must patch kernel when you log in the system...if you don't patch it you will have always the error at PCI Configuration point. As i wrote yesterday ,check dirnames in the usb stick, subfolders etc.

Sorry, but when you say check the dirnames are you saying to make sure I've named the USB sticks properly?

In the guide rbbunmc wrote, there are two places where kernel patching is mentioned, at least up to the point where I'm at, if both of those executed properly should I be able to boot up correctly at the stage I'm at without adding the debug=0x14e? I'm at step 3 in section 8.

Sorry, but when you say check the dirnames are you saying to make sure I've named the USB sticks properly?

In the guide rbbunmc wrote, there are two places where kernel patching is mentioned, at least up to the point where I'm at, if both of those executed properly should I be able to boot up correctly at the stage I'm at without adding the debug=0x14e? I'm at step 3 in section 8.

Try to boot with debug=0x14e and see if you are able to log in OS X

Try to boot with debug=0x14e and see if you are able to log in OS X

I added the debug=0x14e to the boot flags but now it's just stuck at the PCI configuration and not even restarting. Does the debug=0x14e go in the "Boot Args: " line? Because that's where I put it.

I decided to recreate the clover boot usb. But I've got a bit of confusion here; when you're creating the clover boot usb. The guide says to do this "Step 17: Copy “EFI” folder from EFI-clover-bootloader.zip and paste into EFI partition of Clover USB you just created that is named Install OS X Yosemite”.

Which partition of the USB is he saying to paste the copied EFI folder into? It's confusing because there is one labeled EFI and one labeled Install OS X Yosemite.

---

Edit: Minor Progress - I remade the Clover Boot USB and tried again with just adding the debug=0x14e and it get past the PCI config line and now it's stuck on BSD root: disk0s2, major 1, minor 2.

---

Edit2: No success so far. I've just tried rebooting and running it again and again and the only thing that seems to be consistent is that it will get stuck on some line/function (I don't know the proper term).

For example sometimes it gets stuck on the [ PCI configuration begin ] and sometimes it gets stuck on the one I wrote in the first edit which is BSD root: disk0s2, major 1, minor2. and now it's stuck on _inl: b(1, 3): journal replay done.

There are also some minor differences I'm noticing. For instance, on this current go around the "BSD root:" is different from the last time. Now it says BSD root: disk0s2, major 1, minor 3

That's "minor 3" instead of "minor 2" like last time. I don't know if it means anything. But the point is it's different from last time and I haven't done anything different. I just restarted it.

Ignore this. I redid the whole process and it works now. I don't know exactly what the problem was but it's solved now.

A quick note for rbbunmc

In step 15 of section 5 (creating the clover boot usb) there is a discrepancy between what you wrote for one of the drivers you're supposed to select and the driver you selected in the image.

In the text it says "OsxAptioFixDrv-64" in the picture below it shows you selecting OsxAptioFix2Drv-64. The second one has a 2 in it.

I don't know if it makes a difference but I thought I'd mention it just in case.

Moderate Success!

I redid the whole process and now I'm able to boot up and log in.

I just remembered I didn't change the resolution size when I remade the usb. Can I do this now?

Thanks!

Edit: I downloaded a quadro driver for mac and it also said geforce on the download page (I'm using a 980 soon to be 980ti) so I figured that was probably the one. After I downloaded it I now have the driver manager.

HOWEVER! When I try to change the graphics driver to the nvidia web driver it restarts but the change doesn't take place. Every time it starts up it goes back to (or never changed from) the stock driver.

Can this be fixed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back