Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Gordo74 said:
Is either possible?

I want to use one of these cards (5770 or 5870) in a new Hackintosh project with 64 bit and QE/CI enabled.

Also, I noticed when looking around Newegg, there seems to be two iterations of these cards, more specifically the "Cypress XT" tag. Does this have any effect on the Hackintosh-ability?

Here is an example of the two different cards:

With Cypress:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... -_-Product

Without:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... -_-Product

I would have a look at any 5870 thread here (search for it) or look at Kabyl's thread on InsanelyMac and please buy a card that someone has already go working using Kabyl's boot file . It is a VERY good idea to get a dual slot version of the card as the single slot versions are not built on the reference design and take more trial and error to get them working. You can buy a dual slot card that isn't on his list but you may have to manually set the Frame Buffer and it may take a few goes to pick the right one. Go read and see what you think.

No idea what Cypress XT is !

short answer is yes and they've worked for a while. all that's needed it for full acceleration is a newer (kabyl's) chameleon boot file.

SG- said:
short answer is yes and they've worked for a while. all that's needed it for full acceleration is a newer (kabyl's) chameleon boot file.

Kabyl's latest boot file reads the specific make and model ID of your card through Vendor ID Device ID and Subsys ID and if your card has already been tested then his boot loader automatically loads the correct Frame Buffer for your card so that it boots automatically with no effort from yourself.

If the card hasn't been tested already then you have to manually try to find a Frame Buffer that works. On the whole there are 3-4 Frame Buffers that you should try for each series of card so it shouldn't take you that long to get it working.

But if there's not much cash in it then I'd just use a 5870 card that someone has already got working on his thread. Or dive right in and contribute another card to the thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back