Contribute
Register

4K video editing beast

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

I'm about to go into my first hackintosh build - getting a Mac Pro to satisfy my needs is either impossible or way too expensive.

The machine will be used for DaVinci Resolve, Premiere Pro, After Effects, Photoshop and Capture One. I'm looking for a good experience with hackintosh - i.e. ease of installation and stability.

I have been looking hard at the Buyers Guide but would really like the experts opinion and experiences with the hardware - and ease of installation.

My current shopping list :

Motherboard : Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD3 (I have external Thunderbolt drives so I need usb-c working)
CPU : Intel Core i7-6700K Skylake 4GHz
Graphics : Gainware GeForce GTX 970 4GB (with plan to maybe add another one and run SLI for CUDA power) OR Asus GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB
RAM : Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 64GB (4*16)
Boot drive : Samsung 850 EVO SSD 250GB
Hard drives : 2 * Seagate Barracuda 3TB 7200.14 (RAID 1)

Other stuff : RaidSonic USB 3.0 7 port hub, Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO CPU Cooler, Corsair RM650x PSU, Fractal Design R5 miditower.

REALLY looking forward to hearing your thoughts. Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
So I just built a rig(6700k) for a buddy of mine. He uses the 5k RED Scarlet video platform and I used a 980ti. He called and raved that it's just desomating the footage.....In lamens terms its editing the footage in a breeze. Granted, this camera data is WAY larger than any normal DSLR or mmirrorless setup you'd ever use. Just a FYI. Go for the 980ti and future proof your stuff

Thank you, trs96 and twobit. I think this is setup I'll go with!

@twobit2354 does your friend (or you or anyone else) have any experience with CUDA.. Resolve and AE should benefit a lot from it-

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back