Contribute
Register

4K Display not detected / 4K not working at all HD 4600 (Lilu+Coredisplayfixup)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello

This is my build: GA-Z87X-UD3H | i5 4670 | HD 4600 | Dell P2415Q (DP) (old Eizo S1910 (DVI) as a backup) with High Sierra 10.13.0

Since March I was on Sierra and I was able to run the P2415Q in 4k/60hz reasonably well (mouse cursor was glitching until I woke up the computer, no boot logo etc) using some clover tricks (that I unfortunately don't remember now and I don't even know if they would work with HS as I had a crash and was forced to reinstall from the scratch)

Now I installed High Sierra and was able to make it work even better than before (I have now usb 3!), graphics acceleration work all right using inject edid/intel standard setup, no problem with S1910.

But I have no luck with the 4K monitor. Here is the behaviour:

-I can boot with S1910 connected, no issue there. When I connect P2415Q, it is not detected, I have to force it from Setting/Display and then the supported resolution is only 2440x1440 (if I remember correctly the numbers) SwitchresX does not provide any HIDPI modes. I don’t know how to add custom ones.

- I can boot with both monitors connected, but both of them are black. I can login blindly, then sleep the computer, wake it and S1910 lights up and P2415Q can be force detected

- with only P2415Q connected, monitor is black and I was not able to blindly login, so I presume that the computer did not boot.

In Clover/kexts/others I have latest Lilu, Coredisplayfixup, Intelgraphicsfixup, Shiiki (I even tried with Lilu+Coredisplayfixup only) It seems that the kexts are injected all right (appear in kexstat).

DVMT in Bios was setup to Max, changed to 128, no effect

Better 4K handling was one of the main reasons I switched to MacOS and if I am not able to make it work, I will have to accept defeat and go back to Win10. I even considered buying second hand GTX 660 ,even though the money is tight, just to have the 4k, but then I saw the thread with 660 glitches and abandoned the idea.

I read everything I could and was able to reasonable follow the instructions, but I am not a mac expert so you are my only hope now. Tell me please what other details you need to know to be able to help.

Many thanks

Last edited:
Hello

This is my build: GA-Z87X-UD3H | i5 4670 | HD 4600 | Dell P2415Q (DP) (old Eizo S1910 (DVI) as a backup) with High Sierra 10.13.0

Since March I was on Sierra and I was able to run the P2415Q in 4k/60hz reasonably well (mouse cursor was glitching until I woke up the computer, no boot logo etc) using some clover tricks (that I unfortunately don't remember now and I don't even know if they would work with HS as I had a crash and was forced to reinstall from the scratch)

Now I installed High Sierra and was able to make it work even better than before (I have now usb 3!), graphics acceleration work all right using inject edid/intel standard setup, no problem with S1910.

But I have no luck with the 4K monitor. Here is the behaviour:

-I can boot with S1910 connected, no issue there. When I connect P2415Q, it is not detected, I have to force it from Setting/Display and then the supported resolution is only 2440x1440 (if I remember correctly the numbers) SwitchresX does not provide any HIDPI modes. I don’t know how to add custom ones.

- I can boot with both monitors connected, but both of them are black. I can login blindly, then sleep the computer, wake it and S1910 lights up and P2415Q can be force detected

- with only P2415Q connected, monitor is black and I was not able to blindly login, so I presume that the computer did not boot.

In Clover/kexts/others I have latest Lilu, Coredisplayfixup, Intelgraphicsfixup, Shiiki (I even tried with Lilu+Coredisplayfixup only) It seems that the kexts are injected all right (appear in kexstat).

DVMT in Bios was setup to Max, changed to 128, no effect

Better 4K handling was one of the main reasons I switched to MacOS and if I am not able to make it work, I will have to accept defeat and go back to Win10. I even considered buying second hand GTX 660 ,even though the money is tight, just to have the 4k, but then I saw the thread with 660 glitches and abandoned the idea.

I read everything I could and was able to reasonable follow the instructions, but I am not a mac expert so you are my only hope now. Tell me please what other details you need to know to be able to help.

Many thanks

Did you patch the framebuffer such that the connector-type matches the physical connectors?

Hello RehabMan,

This could be the missing link. I remembered now what I put it in the Clover back in March. I took it from this link : https://www.******.com/r/hackintosh/comments/3zt8ti/4k_uhd_with_hd_4600_displayport/ and then I patched it probably with CoreDisplay Patcher, don't remember.

Anyway I wrongly assumed that none of that was needed with Coredisplayfixup.

Could you please advise specifically what should I do?

4k is out of reach out-of-the-box. You still need to patch the framebuffer size for the HD4600 ('Azul') driver in High Sierra, as referenced by the ****** post (which points back to our own forum: #30)

On my last patching exercise for 10.13.3, I did it via a kext patching entry in clover via clover configurator, pretty quick and easy.

And for HDMI at least, you also need lilu and coredisplayfixup (I don't have displayport on HD4600 to test with).

I patched the AppleIntelFramebufferAzul via Clover and now I have 4K/60hz :)

But still issue with booting, black screen, need to sleep and wake, sometimes even that does not help and I need to re-plug the DP cable. Any idea what to do about that?

edit: and for some reason the Displays in Setting show me that I have two identical monitors and I needed to setup them as mirror. Strange.

Not sure what you mean about issue with booting and black screen, but the last time I had stable sleep/wake with this Haswell rig was with Yosemite. I haven't really tried much with High Sierra but it is glitchy. Basically auto-sleep and manual sleep work and if woken within an hour or so are fine, but if left sleeping for half a day it usually does not come back.

My machine is fanless (picoPSU and passive heat sink) and idles < 20W so it's not a big deal to leave on, otherwise I might be more motivated.

I mean when I boot, I have a black screen, monitor is in powersave mode and the login page does not show at all. I can login blindly, then use the key shortcut to sleep the computer and wake and then the screen lights up. But it is not reliable it seems.

I had no issues with sleep in Sierra, I did not do much testing with High Sierra yet.

BTW, for others who might be wondering generally about 4k displays off of 4 and 5-year-old iGPUs, let's be clear that it is limited. If 4k to you is mostly about playing 4k video, or even 1080p video upscaled to 4k, this solution is not for you. Apple is quite reasonable in not offering 4k resolutions on this hardware: the HD4600 can not scale video to 4k with even 24fps frame rates. Anything other than full-screen video though, it's great.

thanks, I will read that long thread, but I use 14,2 definition, so not sure if it's applicable to me.

I tested a bit and the display wakes up from the sleep only when the sleep is short. If the sleep is long, it will not wake up. Then I put the computer to sleep again and immediately wake up and the display lights up.

I want 4K mainly for photos and nice UI/fonts, not interested in video too much.

edit: that thread is really not applicable (and I don't have inject nvidia in the clover)

if iMac14,2 showing black screen then it's not AGDP related.
check that you don't have inject nvidia with clover, not needed for this card.
also remove NvidiaWeb from config if you have it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back