Contribute
Register

4770K Stuck at either 3.5Ghz or 3.9Ghz (SSDT?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z87X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4770K
Graphics
ASUS GTX770 OC
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hello. I've been trying to get my 4770K to use speedstep and to go lower than normal speed when idle. I can't seem to get it to work.

-I've compiled an SSDT with the SSDT Generation Script
-I've put the SSDT.aml in my /Extra folder
-I've added DropSSDT=yes to my org.chamaleon.boot.plist and set generate P and C states to No.

I'm using the MacPro5.1 definition. Everything else works (apart from random freezes with no kernel panics, which I assume are related to a non-proper power management)

System:
i7-4770K at stock speed
Gigabyte z87x-ud5h
Mountain Lion 10.8.5

Thank you very much!

Attachments

• Screen-Shot-2013-09-18-at-1.29.09-PM.jpg
    Screen-Shot-2013-09-18-at-1.29.09-PM.jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 350
Same problem here. Anyone got any suggestions?

Are we really the only ones wanting their haswell to speedstep in the whole customac universe? I'm getting 37ºC in Windows8 but 47ºC in Mountain Lion!

So it's a thing then, the limited speedstep i mean... I thought you guys had your CPUs going to really low clocks when Idle like when in windows.

I guess we'll have to wait. Thanks for the temps advice. I'll have a look at what I have, but this is no emergency. Right now, that the summer has ended, my 4770K sits at around 35-50º ar 4.1Ghz, which is really good (Noctua nh-d14).

Looks like I'm also in the "I want my Core i7-4770K to do real speedstepping instead of the wild swings between 792 Mhz and 3+ Ghz" club. :problem: I guess I hoped for too much in Mavericks having better (out of the box) power management for a Hackintosh.

I dual boot with Windows 7 and yes, that has better speedstepping and power management. :|

BUMP
in the same boat 4670K
anyone? anybody knows? please give us a clue

you won't have any answers yet. because no one around internet is able to answer to that question...

Almost all Haswell user have the same PowerManagement problem...
It seems that Devs are starting to discover some new clue on PM in Maverick, just take a look here
http://pikeralpha.wordpress.com/2013/11/23/experimental-bin-patch-for-maverick/

or in Clover
https://sourceforge.net/p/cloverefiboot/code/2336/ (it is the patch as Pike but here it is a RTC Patched lot more automatic)

The last version of Clover added a Kernel power management patch for haswell with locked msrs if you have a locked board.

I have the same problem right now as you with random Kernel Panic, Freeze and reboot(clover reboot as soon as there is a Kernel Panic).
I have managed to calm down for now these Freezes by using Clover as BootLoader (last version the one that patched the Kernel in fly) and I'm using SSDT made by Pike SSDTPrGen (however I have better result without any SSDT, without Generated C/P State! it is working and I have Dropped all SSDT ! MAVERICK seems to work differently, not using ACPUPM.kext)
it seems that 10.9 is able to overpassed that and the Kernel can see directly into the board and build PM thanks to new XCPM mode...
however there is a problem with HASWELL PM...

I have then added NULLCPUPowerManegement.Kext (which should not be usefull but it is working).
Using these workarounds I have managed to get a full working computer, I cut by 10 the number of freeze due to bad PM...

Have a try... and clover on a USB Drive is not harmfull ...

I think the answer will come from someone who will look into P/C State in deep like for the IVY BRIDGE C/P Creation which is completely different. I may say that Haswell PM is also different and need to be expertised

you won't have any answers yet. because no one around internet is able to answer to that question...

Almost all Haswell user have the same PowerManagement problem...
It seems that Devs are starting to discover some new clue on PM in Maverick, just take a look here
http://pikeralpha.wordpress.com/2013/11/23/experimental-bin-patch-for-maverick/

or in Clover
https://sourceforge.net/p/cloverefiboot/code/2336/ (it is the patch as Pike but here it is a RTC Patched lot more automatic)

The last version of Clover added a Kernel power management patch for haswell with locked msrs if you have a locked board.

Actually, I've written the only working patch at this point. See http://racerrehabman.wordpress.com/

Pike's post did prod me to take a closer look at the work that I'd already done, and fix it it. I had put it on hold after I discovered building a 10.9 kernel from source results in a xcpm free kernel. Turned out I had some a very simple error in my patch that I was able to correct.

The Clover patch is based on my blog post, but we are not sure it works 100% yet. It has yet to really be tested.

I have the same problem right now as you with random Kernel Panic, Freeze and reboot(clover reboot as soon as there is a Kernel Panic).
I have managed to calm down for now these Freezes by using Clover as BootLoader (last version the one that patched the Kernel in fly) and I'm using SSDT made by Pike SSDTPrGen (however I have better result without any SSDT, without Generated C/P State! it is working and I have Dropped all SSDT ! MAVERICK seems to work differently, not using ACPUPM.kext)

it seems that 10.9 is able to overpassed that and the Kernel can see directly into the board and build PM thanks to new XCPM mode...
however there is a problem with HASWELL PM...

What problem? I'm running a i7-4700MQ Haswell laptop with MacBookPro11,2 smbios using xcpm (kernel-based PM) in both 10.8.5 and 10.9. You can also use the iMac14,2 smbios. You cannot use Clover and MacBookPro11,2 at this time (non-supported board-id). But for a desktop, this is hardly a concern.

You do have to pay attention to what you're using for SSDT. It is best to Drop OEM CPU-related SSDTs and use an SSDT using Pike's ssdtPRgen.sh script. Be careful with Clover because even if you don't include the Generate CStates/PStates keys, they are default to true.

Hello Rehab, sorry I have not give you the Credits for the Kernel Patch.

I'm using iMac14,2 and SSDTPrGen. I also put keys in config.plist for P/C Generated State as "No". And I have dropped all OEM SSDT.
I still have kernel Panic (very random and different one) my only fix is to use NULLCPUPOWERMANAGEMENT which calm down the Kernel Panic by 10. I don't know how it can be used as it should be on XCPM Mode only...

Another thing which is really strange and should lead us to somewhere.
When I don't generate any C/P State without any SSDT... everything still work on my Board !
I have a CPU error during boot of course however SLEEP IS WORKING !

As soon as I use SSDTPrGen, CPU error message disappears but Sleep IS NOT working anymore...
I'm sure there is thing hidden somewhere regarding HASWELL PM is Maverick...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back