Contribute
Register

4540s won't run windows dual boot separate HDD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
HP8300
CPU
i7 3.09Ghz
Graphics
Intel 4000
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Air
  3. MacBook Pro
  4. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hey guys.

I hope this is the right place for help regarding this, I have installed on a 4540s High Sierra, it seems to be running perfectly, reboot several times even writing this now on it and all is good so far.

I then install Windows 7 via USB Stick I made with Rufus in UEFI mode on a separate HDD (installed a DVD drive hdd caddy).

When I reboot, Clover shows the new Windows 7 and my MacOS, I can boot to MacOs just fine but when I click on Windows all I get is a blank screen or ill get the Windows Loading and just hangs, I have tried several times reinstalling and even Mac OS ( just incase I stuffed something up on Clover but its the same)
I have had it working previously on one hard disk and it all worked but need more space and installed the second HDD but can't load windows from it.

Any help much appreciated.

also if you could check if all is installed well for the High Sierra side.

Thanks
Alen

Attachments

• debug_19581.zip
    1.8 MB · Views: 45
Hey guys.

I hope this is the right place for help regarding this, I have installed on a 4540s High Sierra, it seems to be running perfectly, reboot several times even writing this now on it and all is good so far.

I then install Windows 7 via USB Stick I made with Rufus in UEFI mode on a separate HDD (installed a DVD drive hdd caddy).

When I reboot, Clover shows the new Windows 7 and my MacOS, I can boot to MacOs just fine but when I click on Windows all I get is a blank screen or ill get the Windows Loading and just hangs, I have tried several times reinstalling and even Mac OS ( just incase I stuffed something up on Clover but its the same)
I have had it working previously on one hard disk and it all worked but need more space and installed the second HDD but can't load windows from it.

Any help much appreciated.

also if you could check if all is installed well for the High Sierra side.

Thanks
Alen

Make sure you installed Windows in UEFI mode.
You can google for how to create a UEFI Windows USB installer.

Hey i did,
I used the same usb stick to install it last time and it worked when it was installed on the same hdd but not when its on the seperate hdd...
For the USB i used Rufus and made an instalation stick for UEFI...so i am 100% certain on that just strange i get to the windows loading soon as i hit enter on windows in clover but thats it, its as though it freezes...
Both are SSd hdd.
I knot its not a simple one so all good if no ideas/answer, just asking incase its something obvious i missed.

Cheers
Alen

Hey i did,
I used the same usb stick to install it last time and it worked when it was installed on the same hdd but not when its on the seperate hdd...
For the USB i used Rufus and made an instalation stick for UEFI...so i am 100% certain on that just strange i get to the windows loading soon as i hit enter on windows in clover but thats it, its as though it freezes...
Both are SSd hdd.
I knot its not a simple one so all good if no ideas/answer, just asking incase its something obvious i missed.

Cheers
Alen

Check the EFI partition on the Windows disk to be certain it has EFI/Microsoft.
Also, you should check that your caddy is correct for your laptop and has the correct DIP switch settings (some have DIP switches you must change...)

Also, you should verify that booting UEFI directly to Windows (not through Clover) works.

Note: Rufus not needed to create Windows 7 UEFI installer USB. Personally, I would not use it. Google for correct instructions not using Rufus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back