Contribute
Register

4540s CPU swap guide

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any feedback about this processor upgrading? I've 4540s with i3 3110m with HD4000 and Radeon HD7650m and I'd love to upgrade to i7 3612QM or i7 3632QM but I read somewhere that we can get troubles with heatsink.

"A different cpu will require a differnt Heatsink and replacing the same will not be possible. Using the same heatsink with a faster cpu will cause your computer to overheat." from HP forum

All is fine?

Probooks with i3 3110m CPUs are soldiered.

Probooks with i3 3110m CPUs are soldiered.

God... Are you sure that all models with i3 are with soldered processor? or just some series?
There a way to see this? Kind of no screw lock?

God... Are you sure that all models with i3 are with soldered processor? or just some series?
There a way to see this? Kind of no screw lock?

You'll find out when you disassemble the laptop.

You'll find out when you disassemble the laptop.

Yes but I'd love to avoid to take off the heatsink and change the thermal paste for nothing.
There is a visual way to know without taking off the heatsink? I see white socket and black lock screw under the heatsink as this picture.

probook2.PNG

Any feedback about this processor upgrading? I've 4540s with i3 3110m with HD4000 and Radeon HD7650m and I'd love to upgrade to i7 3612QM or i7 3632QM but I read somewhere that we can get troubles with heatsink.

"A different cpu will require a differnt Heatsink and replacing the same will not be possible. Using the same heatsink with a faster cpu will cause your computer to overheat." from HP forum

All is fine?

That (I suspect) refers to desktops not laptops. There are only the heatsinks that ship with the laptop. Check the HP 4540s service manual (it's available as a free download from HP support pages) and check the part numbers, I believe they're all the same.

Pete

NOTE, it seems some 4540 models are now shipping with soldered in CPU's :banghead:

Yes but I'd love to avoid to take off the heatsink and change the thermal paste for nothing.
There is a visual way to know without taking off the heatsink? I see white socket and black lock screw under the heatsink as this picture.

View attachment 168021
That's a clamp screw, you're good to go. Pete

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back