CPU
the RULES
Graphics
so ignore me
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
4540s 10.8.3 Install failed. (Solved)

Hi all,

I've tried to do a fresh install on my Ivybridge i5 HP with the latest "Install Mountain Lion" 10.8.3 (all updates included) app. It lets me install OK but the second Unibeast boot fails after it sets up the NTFS partitions on the drive. The system hangs (forever) at that point. I suspect its a graphics issue because if I leave out the GraphicsEnabler=No flag it continues past this point but the screen goes black and the system freezes again. Sometimes I get the ethernet line, sometimes not, see image below.

Any ideas?

Pete

Attachments

• Fail.jpg
    Fail.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 488
Are you still using default Unibeast /Extra folder? I would consider using patched DSDT.aml at this point along with MacbookPro9,1 defition or
DSDT=No with various flags.
I ran into similar problems before, just don't remember what took to solve it.

I'm not getting to the 2nd part of the install, it fails on the second boot (Unibeast Installer still in the USB port) so I'm not even getting to the setup screens. I just tried reformatting as a single HFS+ journalised partition in case it was the multi boot setup causing problems, but I still get the freezup problem. Oh well, tomorrows another day (unfortunately one I have to work a 12 hour shift on) so I'll leave it until I get more time.

I'm now using a 256GB Plextor SSD, does anyone know if there are issues with SSD drives I need to look into?

Pete

I'm not getting to the 2nd part of the install, it fails on the second boot (Unibeast Installer still in the USB port) so I'm not even getting to the setup screens. I just tried reformatting as a single HFS+ journalised partition in case it was the multi boot setup causing problems, but I still get the freezup problem. Oh well, tomorrows another day (unfortunately one I have to work a 12 hour shift on) so I'll leave it until I get more time.

I'm now using a 256GB Plextor SSD, does anyone know if there are issues with SSD drives I need to look into?

Pete

Try booting with -x -v flags and then install your boot-loader with your patched DSDT for full QE/CI.

This is obviously related to my hard drive. Adding the -x (thanks for that) allowed me to complete the install but that also opened another can of worms. I thought I was trying to re-invent the wheel so used my old 10.8 installer to make installation easy and just do the updates after.
But, I had the same stalled installation at the same point using my own how to and had to include the -x to finish the installation. The rest went as normal so I just need to update, however, I now have the dreaded boot0 issue, I need to read about 4k drives now :rolleyes:

Pete

Success at last, the install has moved on thanks to the great work of members of the forum.

Download the new ML install 10.8.3 app from the App store. Create Unibeast 1.7 for ML, Add Probook Installer v6.1beta4 to Unibeast usb stick.

Boot from Unibeast in USB port (right hand side, closet to you). Boot with usual KernelCache=No GraphicsEnabler=No -f -v

Install to drive and reboot again with Unibeast USB stick. Select new installation and use the same boot flags again. Add -x to the flags if your system freezes during this second boot.

Complete install and drag Probook Installer to desktop. Select options as required, I used the ones shown below (I have i5-3210 but it seems OK for now). Trim Enabler only required for SSD hard drives.

Re-boot to hard drive (usb stick now out), into a working system (see 4k Advanced Format fix if you get Boot0 errors or your system boots directly into Windows).
Special thanks to Philip for the excellent work on the installer, RehabMan and BigDonkey for their ongoing expertise and constant input and MacMan for the Unibeast App.

ScreenShot1.jpg

ScreenShot2.jpg

ScreenShot3.jpg

ScreenShot4.jpg

ScreenShot5.jpg

Attachments

• ScreenShot1.jpg
    ScreenShot1.jpg
    197.6 KB · Views: 235
I install almost finish. While there is about 2 minutes to finish, I meet this error:
PackageKit: Install Failed: Error Domain=PKInstallErrorDomain Code=121 "An error occurred while updating system extension information." UserInfo=0x7fa1bb4866c0 {NSUnderlyingError=0x7f81f9601415 "The operation couldn’t be completed. (kextcache error 71.)" ...

IMAG0245.jpg

Anybody know what the error is? Please help.
Thanks

I install almost finish. While there is about 2 minutes to finish, I meet this error:
PackageKit: Install Failed: Error Domain=PKInstallErrorDomain Code=121 "An error occurred while updating system extension information." UserInfo=0x7fa1bb4866c0 {NSUnderlyingError=0x7f81f9601415 "The operation couldn’t be completed. (kextcache error 71.)" ...

View attachment 55160

Anybody know what the error is? Please help.
Thanks

What is "Volumes/Mac OS/Recovered Items"?? Make sure you are doing a fresh install to an empty, freshly erased HFS+ partition.

I installed ML 10.8.3 on my Probook 4540s. But now I meet these problem:
1) I cannot boot with Normal mode. My laptop will be frozen at screen with Apple logo if I don't boot with safe (-x) mode.
2) I cannot mount to read/write USB with FAT format. If I plug an USB with Mac OS format, I can use it normally.
3) Sound card does not work
4) Wifi does not work

Problem #1 and #2 are big problems with me.

Anybody have any suggestion to fix it?

I installed ML 10.8.3 on my Probook 4540s. But now I meet these problem:
1) I cannot boot with Normal mode. My laptop will be frozen at screen with Apple logo if I don't boot with safe (-x) mode.
2) I cannot mount to read/write USB with FAT format. If I plug an USB with Mac OS format, I can use it normally.
3) Sound card does not work
4) Wifi does not work

Problem #1 and #2 are big problems with me.

Anybody have any suggestion to fix it?

How did you install? Do you have a patched DSDT installed to /Extra?
What WiFi card do you have? All 4x40s need to replace WiFi card with compatible one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back