Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Ok, so apparently my 4530s has a Realtek RTL8188CE wifi card or something and it's not compatible with airport? So I was wondering if I could just take the wifi card out of my broken macbook white (the last one before unibody models with only the screen broken) and use it to replace my realtek one?.. Or if that's not possible should I just buy a usb wifi dongle and use that to connect to airport?

stephenkil12 said:
Ok, so apparently my 4530s has a Realtek RTL8188CE wifi card or something and it's not compatible with airport? So I was wondering if I could just take the wifi card out of my broken macbook white (the last one before unibody models with only the screen broken) and use it to replace my realtek one?.. Or if that's not possible should I just buy a usb wifi dongle and use that to connect to airport?

The ProBook 4x30s laptops have a WiFi hardware whitelist in their BIOSes, so your laptop probably will reject such card. Also such card may not fit inside the Probook, AFAIK most of the MacBooks are using full size miniPCIe cards, but the 4x30s ProBooks are using half size miniPCIe cards. If you want to change your card, it can be done with HP card and this card's HW ID must be in the whitelist. You have two option:

1. The easy one - find yourself an HP Atheros card with HP PN:593127-001, this one is in my laptop and it's recognized from both the laptop and the OS

2. The not so easy one - wait for me (or someone else) to confirm (or not) the compatibility of the Broadcom card in this thread, and if I didn't, you can go to the option 1.

philip_petev said:
1. The easy one - find yourself an HP Atheros card with HP PN:593127-001, this one is in my laptop and it's recognized from both the laptop and the OS

Hi,

I replaced the wifi/bt card on my 4530s LJ518UT#ABA with an Atheros 9285 bought on Ebay with the attached specs being reported by "System Info". However, the connection is completely unreliable - it works very rarely and for a few minutes, and then dies. I assume I need an updated kext.

Do you have any suggestions for something I can try?

Thanks.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-04-01 at 11.35.58 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-04-01 at 11.35.58 PM.png
    19.6 KB · Views: 567
gaxm said:
philip_petev said:

Hi,

I replaced the wifi/bt card on my 4530s LJ518UT#ABA with an Atheros 9285 bought on Ebay with the attached specs being reported by "System Info". However, the connection is completely unreliable - it works very rarely and for a few minutes, and then dies. I assume I need an updated kext.

Do you have any suggestions for something I can try?

Thanks.

Did you install the latest ProBook Installer (3.30)? It contains updated WiFi kext.

I have problem like gaxm,my wifi only works on 10.7 and now on 10.7.3 works 5 min. and lost network,must turn off and turn on wifi every 5 min to get network, and I have install the latest ProBook Installer (3.30) but it works for a few minutes and lost,please help.

OK thanks.

Hi,

Exactly the same wifi card as gaxm, system profile shows exactly the same info. Card is available and working, but cannot see any network, though it tries...

Attachments

• Systeminformationen.png
    Systeminformationen.png
    44.8 KB · Views: 398
wolfthesad said:
Hi,

Exactly the same wifi card as gaxm, system profile shows exactly the same info. Card is available and working, but cannot see any network, though it tries...

Press once the "WiFi button" . It's above the keyboard in the right upper corner.

Thanks, BigDonkey, for your replay, but reseting to factory default in Bios solved the problem. Or was it deleting old kexts and reinstalling?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back