Contribute
Register

4530s Graphics Glitches how to fix ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is another way: sell your ProBook and buy ProBook 4x40s with Ivy Bridge CPU (HD4000) - no glitches, it just works ;-)

Yes, I think it is one of the major things that makes the 4x40s better than the 4x30s...

Benefits of 4x40s Ivy:

- no graphic glitches being discussed here
- better default fan behavior (fan can go to slow speeds without hardware mod)
- no whitelist on WiFi cards
- gen3 CPU (although this has little practical benefit from what I read)

Drawbacks:

- I've heard about problems with display brightness: not sure what the status of that is

Anything I'm missing?

- I've heard about problems with display brightness: not sure what the status of that is

Anything I'm missing?

First thing I did on 4540s - I removed blinkscreen, because of brightness level was working fine out of the box, so there is no need for this trick. I am using it the same duration as 4430s ~ 30 days, I could not find anything wrong with it so far.

-You can also wake it up by opening the lid.
-USB 3.0 native
-KB,TP,WiFi instant on after wake up - zero delay. 4x30s takes a few seconds to become aware of KB and TB after wake.
-Correct RSSI level on WiFi (due to adapters with native support)
-no lockups (present on 4x30s time-to-time)
-easy access to CPU and heat sink
-2 streams of H.264 hardware acceleration (4x30s only 1 stream) simultaneously.

First thing I did on 4540s - I removed blinkscreen, because of brightness level was working fine out of the box, so there is no need for this trick.

I thought there was some difference in brightness levels before sleep/wake cycle. Not true?

I am using it the same duration as 4430s ~ 30 days, I could not find anything wrong with it so far.

-You can also wake it up by opening the lid.

That's interesting. I wonder if it is DSDT...

-USB 3.0 native

Some 4530s have USB3, just not Intel. But this does bring up another reason why I should upgrade (mine does't have USB3), not that I'm seriously considering it. Transplanting my 1080p screen to the 4540s and re-installing the HP original in the 4530s would be quite a bit of work. Not to mention selling the 4530s itself would take some time.

-KB,TP,WiFi instant on after wake up - zero delay. 4x30s takes a few seconds to become aware of KB and TB after wake.

Mine is instant. Could be SSD helping...

-Correct RSSI level on WiFi (due to adapters with native support)

What is this? Why does it matter?

-no lockups (present on 4x30s time-to-time)

I don't have them. But I could see if you have graphic glitches and don't remedy the problem, that eventually would probably result in a lockup.

-easy access to CPU and heat sink

That is nice...

Definitely the 4x40s is a better unit over the 4x30s all things considered. If anyone has a choice, they should probably choose the 4x40s... It is nice to see that things can improve.

Sorry, I could not reply in the same fashion.

Brightness level is set according to NVRAM value on boot and/or wake on 4x40s.

4x40s BIOS has option to enable wake up by opening lid

I have to wait before typing into password on wake, until text caret starts blinking, otherwise textbox will drop key presses.

When woken up 4x30s would display WiFi icon on password screen as would have no WiFi signal. Once logged in - it shows correct signal in menu bar, but if you Opt-Click - it will show RSSI = -97 (no signal). When you use WiFi diagnostic utility - it will report - very low WiFi signal and suggest to move closer to WiFi router as it looks at RSSI to read signal level. It appears to have no negative effect.

It is possible glitches lead to lockup eventually. It could stay absolutely rock solid for days, then you reboot and it may start to glitch again.

Yes, I think it is one of the major things that makes the 4x40s better than the 4x30s...

Benefits of 4x40s Ivy:

- no graphic glitches being discussed here
- better default fan behavior (fan can go to slow speeds without hardware mod)
- no whitelist on WiFi cards
- gen3 CPU (although this has little practical benefit from what I read)

Drawbacks:

Anything I'm missing?
I confirm, it's a driver issue. I purchased the 4540 with Sandy Bridge last year. Same graphic glitches (HD3000) but they don't show up very frequently.

Thank you! Do you use SMCPingDaemon? Does it do any harm?

Thank you! Do you use SMCPingDaemon? Does it do any harm?

No. With a properly patched DSDT, SMCPingDaemon is not necessary as graphic glitches are rare.

Does it matter if I patch my DSDT then remove the battery from laptop? Do I need to patch DSDT again after battery was removed? or only EC reset?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back