Contribute
Register

4230s not loading to the Installation?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am using unibeast version 1.5.3
installing 10.8.2
using the latest probook installer 6b10r2
the bios version is 28 (should i upgrade to 29?)

The updates is that I am now able to start the installation, but it fails when it almost finish.
I tried to save the install log, but it appears to restart when i click to save.

Start the installation of what? Probook installer? From previous posts, I thought you didn't make it that far. First stage of OS X installer? Or second stage of OS X installer? Please try to be specific and clear about what you are doing.

The guide has steps that are numbered. Perhaps you should refer to the step you are working on in the guide.

Start the installation of what? Probook installer? From previous posts, I thought you didn't make it that far. First stage of OS X installer? Or second stage of OS X installer? Please try to be specific and clear about what you are doing.

The guide has steps that are numbered. Perhaps you should refer to the step you are working on in the guide.

1. I downloaded the Mountain Lion from my iMac with 10.8.2
2. same as your guide
3. same as your guide using unibeast 1.5.3
4. same as your guide
4a. I used the Probook installer 6b10r2 to install the DSDT (4230s HD3000 BIOS Version F20) to the flash drive
5. my 4230s didn't have discrete graphics card.
6. same as your guide
7. same as your guide
8. stuck at "Still waiting for root device"

1. I downloaded the Mountain Lion from my iMac with 10.8.2
2. same as your guide
3. same as your guide using unibeast 1.5.3
4. same as your guide
4a. I used the Probook installer 6b10r2 to install the DSDT (4230s HD3000 BIOS Version F20) to the flash drive
5. my 4230s didn't have discrete graphics card.
6. same as your guide
7. same as your guide
8. stuck at "Still waiting for root device"

OK, that's why we were getting confused. You don't need to run the Probook Installer in step 4a. That is only for people with upgraded screens. You might try removing the DSDT there (/Volumes/Installer/Extra/dsdt.aml), or boot the Installer USB partition with DSDT=No (case sensitive).

So you are getting "waiting for root device" just booting into the first stage of OS X installer. This usually happens if you use a USB3 port. So that is something to check (check your laptop specs -- make sure you understand which ports are usb3 and which are usb2). Also, try a different flash drive brand/model as there could be an issue there. I use generic Sandisk Cruiser 8GB. Also double check that you formatted the flash partition as MBR, not GPT.

Also, in another message you stated that "The updates is that I am now able to start the installation, but it fails when it almost finish." but now that is not the case?? What did you do in that case different from now, and what step were you on when it "failed."

Finally, you might consider trying to create a small (8GB) partition on your HDD and run Unibeast to put the installer there. Then use the USB key you've already created to boot into that partition, then installing to a new one. Basically, using a partition on the HDD in place of the flash drive.

I only able to boot the Unibeast flash drive with -x (safe mode)

Anyways, I have the 10.8.2 installed and running finally!

except that I can't boot without the Unibeast flash drive:

BootDevice Not Found

Please install an operating system on your hard disk.
Hard Disk - (3F0)

I have only 1 partition on my HDD

Anyways, I have the 10.8.2 installed and running finally!

Good to know the OS X Installer runs in safe mode. That could be useful some day.

except that I can't boot without the Unibeast flash drive:

BootDevice Not Found
Please install an operating system on your hard disk.
Hard Disk - (3F0)

I have only 1 partition on my HDD

I assume you installed Chimera, but still BIOS doesn't like something about what it sees on the disk. This could be it doesn't like pure GPT, maybe no active partition, maybe no boot record. Were you running in safe mode while running the Probook Installer? I wonder if there isn't an issue there.

Few things to try:
- Try hitting F9 at BIOS startup and select the HDD as device to boot, just to see if that works.
- Run gptsync on Linux to setup hybrid MBR/GPT (it could be your BIOS doesn't like a pure GPT)
- If still no dice after that, try re-install Chimera again
- Last resort, install Chimera manually... (recent discussion here: http://www.tonymacx86.com/hp-probook-4530s/77003-triple-boot.html#post502641)
- What BIOS version? Is there an update?

I'm starting to think the 4230s is a different animal (at least yours...) compared to the rest in the series...

Good to know the OS X Installer runs in safe mode. That could be useful some day.

I assume you installed Chimera, but still BIOS doesn't like something about what it sees on the disk. This could be it doesn't like pure GPT, maybe no active partition, maybe no boot record. Were you running in safe mode while running the Probook Installer? I wonder if there isn't an issue there.

Few things to try:
- Try hitting F9 at BIOS startup and select the HDD as device to boot, just to see if that works.
- Run gptsync on Linux to setup hybrid MBR/GPT (it could be your BIOS doesn't like a pure GPT)
- If still no dice after that, try re-install Chimera again
- Last resort, install Chimera manually... (recent discussion here: http://www.tonymacx86.com/hp-probook-4530s/77003-triple-boot.html#post502641)
- What BIOS version? Is there an update?

I'm starting to think the 4230s is a different animal (at least yours...) compared to the rest in the series...

Tried to hit F9 on startup and choose the HDD to boot, same error.
The BIOS version is F29, which is the newest.
I didn't install Chimera, even when I installed it, it still won't boot, same error.

I upgrade Bios F29 It works well. make your own DSDT. Please read more.

Tried to hit F9 on startup and choose the HDD to boot, same error.
The BIOS version is F29, which is the newest.
I didn't install Chimera, even when I installed it, it still won't boot, same error.

Try the other items I proposed...
You definitely need a boot loader (ie. Chimera... unless you plan to install a different one!?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back