Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi folks,

I've seen a few posts asking for advice on getting wi-fi to work on Lion, so I thought I'd tell you about my recent experience getting a £4 USB wi-fi dongle working on 10.7.2 using RaLink. It works, it works immediately on startup, after waking from sleep and (optionally) it even looks good!

I don't doubt that best way to get wi-fi up and running is to do it 'natively' using the method shown in the sticky thread at the top of the forum (How To: Build your own "Real" Airport Card), but my method worked for me and it's a tenth of the price. It's far from native, but it looks like Airport at least!

I'm not a complete noob to Hackintoshing (built a Dell mini 10v on 10.6.7 several months ago and love it), but if there are any gurus out there who can tell me if I've done something silly here - do let me know.

I have no reason to think you couldn't do this straight on 10.7.2, but I started with a clean 10.7 Hackintosh. So, if any of you are interested, read on…

My system information
CPU: Intel Core i3-2105 with Intel HD 3000 Graphics
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H67N-USB3-B3 (F7 Bios)
RAM: CORSAIR 4GB (1 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3
Lion 10.7, installed using UniBeast method, followed by Multibeast using DSDT from TonyMac's DSDTdatabase

Method
1. Start with a 10.7 Hackintosh and a working wi-fi router

2. Buy RaLink-compatible USB wifi dongle and plug it in?I bought this one (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WIRELESS-...&otn=3&po=LVI&ps=63&clkid=3932069093905666656)

3. I suppose you should backup all data or clone your HD or whatever at this point. I was using a fresh install of 10.7 so I didn't bother – if it screwed up my system I'd just re-install. You should do what you feel is right at this point!

4. Get Alfa AWUS036 NH Mac OSX.zip and install it
a. ?Assuming you have no Net access yet, you'll need to do this on another PC and transfer over on a USB stick!?
b. I found it here (http://easymactips.blogspot.com/2011/05/kali-app.html) – scroll to the links before the FAQs
c. Note - you'll see Alfa AWUS036NHR Mac Drivers For Lion 10.7 - they didn't work for me.??
d. Unzip, then mount the DMG, then install the 10.6 driver onto your 10.7 Hackintosh??

5. Reboot when prompted by the installer

6. RaLink will open automatically on restart - leave it alone

7. Open System Preferences > Network and select the 802.11 g WLAN in the left pane

8. Click 'Apply'

9. Reboot

10. RaLink will open automatically on restart. Connect to your wireless network:
a. Select your wireless network from the list
b. Click 'Connect'
c. Enter your key, if your network is password-protected
d. You should see a green hand-shaking icon appear

11. Select the connection you've just made, and make it into a Profile
a. Click 'Add Profile'
b. Click 'Authentication & Security' tab
c. Enter your wifi password again
d. Select the profile
e. Click 'Activate'
f. You should see a green tick appear

12. Reboot

You now have working wi-fi which connects automatically on startup. You could stop here, but let's tidy things up a bit by making that awful window and dock icon go away, and getting a much nicer airport icon in our menu bar:

13. Quit Ralink Wireless Utility

14. Download aqua-mac's modded RaLink software
a. ?I found it here (http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index. ... pic=168984) ?
b. Scroll down to aqua-mac's second post beginning "I am working on this…" to get the file Ralink-Airport.zip from the rapidshare link.

15. Unzip Ralink-Airport.zip and move the folder into your Applications folder

16. Enter System Preferences > Users & Groups > Login Items

17. Remove AwakeRalinkUI from the list by selecting it and clicking on the "-" icon

18. Use the "+" icon to add the two new applications RalinkAirport and Airport Connection to the list, from the folder you put into Applications in step 15.

19. Click the 'Hide' option for both these apps

20. Order them so that RalinkAirport appears in the list before Airport Connection
a. Drag and drop to reorder them… I found it a bit tricky…

21. Quit out of System Preferences

22. From the folder in Applications, load Airport Connection. In the 'Site Survey' tab you may see that it has connected to your wireless, but you may need to make another profile. So repeat the same things you did in steps 10-11 earlier.

21. Reboot

22. Software update to 10.7.2

Et voila, working wireless, no ugly dock icon or nasty Ralink window appearing on startup, and a lovely Appley airport icon at the right of your menu bar.

If you've read this far and you're thinking of doing this – I do have to admit there may be one slight niggle. On my Hackintosh, upon waking from sleep the airport icon disappears from your menu bar. Wifi works as it should, but you won't get the airport icon back until you reboot.

I can live with that.

Attachments

• First reboot (looking ugly).jpg
    First reboot (looking ugly).jpg
    223.1 KB · Views: 884
  • working wireless.jpg
    working wireless.jpg
    239.9 KB · Views: 885
  • 10_7_2.jpg
    10_7_2.jpg
    280.6 KB · Views: 873
Is this the Ralink 2070 or a different model?

The little plastic bag over the CD will say in tiny print which installer to use.

Good point. I believe so but I will check.

EDIT - Yes, it's 2070.

I'm thinking about getting one of these but the seller you got yours from does not sell that one any more but there's one like it so i may give that one a go. and see if i can get wifi its been a hard road to find a working dongle ^^ thanks mate

Let me add that by following this procedure I managed to get also my usb wifi working (it's a tp-link TL-WN727N v3 with a Ralink RT5370 chipset).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back