Contribute
Register

4.2 max CPU speed on osx??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ivy bridge is natively supported in OSX. The 4.2 limit you are referring to are the default SSDT's within Multibeast that are for sandy bridge cpus.
alright, didn't know about that. perhaps scientificharmony did install the sandy bridge ssdt by accident, which overrides OSX's native ivy support? That ssdt maxes at 42x which coincides with his 4.2Ghz limit.

Looks like he has a 3770k, so no SSDT needed. OSX will work with any speed, but About my Mac will only report up to 4.3.

So, to OP, when you say it only goes to 4.2, where are you getting that 4.2 from?

The little app that came with multibeast, that reads your temps etc from menu bar. also states 4.2ghz when I run a geekbench.

But,

In windows I am getting 4.5ghz

alright, didn't know about that. perhaps scientificharmony did install the sandy bridge ssdt by accident, which overrides OSX's native ivy support? That ssdt maxes at 42x which coincides with his 4.2Ghz limit.

I think I may have installed Sandbridge i7 overclocked support because there was no option for Ivybridge.,

The question is, how do I remove that sandybridge support then?

Chris

My understanding is that MB only puts the ssdt file there when you select the i7 option so removing in your case would be fine. This is an assumption though. Just rename it and try. Putting it back is easy, even through terminal in single user mode.

I am quite new to all this pruck lol

If I delete it or move it elsewhere. will i be able to boot into osx again if it goes wrong, so I can move it back?

-v is that single user? (cant remember)

OS X is hard coded to report a maximum clock speed of 4.2 GHz in About This Mac. What OS X reports and what it runs at are two different things.

Here are a couple of things you can do to see actual CPU speed.

1) Use HWmonitor.app and see real time clock speed and/or multiplier. The downside is when SpeedStep is working you only see current.

2) Use MSRDumper.kext to see what is the maximum state returned and calculate out the highest clock speed.

3) In Terminal run "bdmesg". In it's output you will see something like the following in it's output:

ProcessorInformation:
socketDesignation: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770K CPU @ 3.50GHz
processorType: 3
processorFamily: 0xC6
manufacturer: Intel
processorID: 0x306A9
processorVersion: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770K CPU @ 3.50GHz
externalClock: 100MHz
maximumClock: 3501MHz
currentClock: 4800MHz

What you need to look at is "maximumClock" as this is what About This Mac will report and "currentClock" which is the actual CPU speed. This example is from a GA-Z77X-UP5 TH where "maximumClock" is always the stock CPU speed. This is unlike a Gigabyte Sandy Bridge system where "maximumClock" and "currentClock" are always the same speed (or very close depending on the accuracy of the clock generators on the motherboard).

OS X is hard coded to report a maximum clock speed of 4.2 GHz in About This Mac. What OS X reports and what it runs at are two different things.

Here are a couple of things you can do to see actual CPU speed.

1) Use HWmonitor.app and see real time clock speed and/or multiplier. The downside is when SpeedStep is working you only see current.

2) Use MSRDumper.kext to see what is the maximum state returned and calculate out the highest clock speed.

3) In Terminal run "bdmesg". In it's output you will see something like the following in it's output:

ProcessorInformation:
socketDesignation: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770K CPU @ 3.50GHz
processorType: 3
processorFamily: 0xC6
manufacturer: Intel
processorID: 0x306A9
processorVersion: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770K CPU @ 3.50GHz
externalClock: 100MHz
maximumClock: 3501MHz
currentClock: 4800MHz

What you need to look at is "maximumClock" as this is what About This Mac will report and "currentClock" which is the actual CPU speed. This example is from a GA-Z77X-UP5 TH where "maximumClock" is always the stock CPU speed. This is unlike a Gigabyte Sandy Bridge system where "maximumClock" and "currentClock" are always the same speed (or very close depending on the accuracy of the clock generators on the motherboard).

Thanks for reply, ill check that out after work!
What if it is only seeing 4.2ghz? Someone else on this forum told me to delete the SSDT.aml from the extra folder. I thought if I done this it would stop OSX booting. ??

Chris

Solved

I deleted the SSDT.aml and it worked. CPU showing as 4.5ghz under geekbench

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back